PDA

View Full Version : lower back tightness and cramping...

Jerry Glaeser Jr.
10-16-2007, 02:03 PM
I have always been prone to lower back injuries. My doctor says it is because I have a long torso and overpowering quad muscles that are possibly inserted abnormally high on my hips which causes them to pull my hips forward when the are tight. it is extremely uncomfortable/unbearable. I had to cut "Helen" short lastnight because of it... I hadn't had any problems until I did Linda lastweek. Now I can't hardly stand myself even just standing up. my doctor told me that rolling out my quads with a rolling pin would help loosen them up, but I am trying to figure out how I can correct this imbalance...any suggestions?:confused:

Aileen Reid
10-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Has anyone suggested stretching heaps including your hip flexors ie iliopsoas etc. What about strengthening your hammies as a counterbalance? There is a ratio of quad/hammie strength that is acceptable - are you in that range? Is there anyone you can see eg a biomechanics person?

Steven Low
10-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Stretch a lot. Obtaining the splits would probably help you out a ton. Massage tends to also help.

And start sprinting/DEEP squatting/oly lifting to work on hamstring and gluteal strength.

(Basically what Aileen said..)

Jerry Glaeser Jr.
10-17-2007, 07:27 AM
Stretch a lot. Obtaining the splits would probably help you out a ton. Massage tends to also help.

And start sprinting/DEEP squatting/oly lifting to work on hamstring and gluteal strength.

(Basically what Aileen said..)

I have been a sprinter my whole life, and I have always *** in the grass squatted...and I think I have the budunkadunk(large rear) to prove it! I think it is my anatomy that puts my hamstrings at a mechanical disadvantage. I do need to start stretching more, but I know static stretching before exercise reduces your stamina, so when is a good time to stretch...before bed? I already have my massage scheduled for Friday!

Thanks for the comments guys!
-Dizzle

Jerry Glaeser Jr.
10-17-2007, 07:37 AM
Has anyone suggested stretching heaps including your hip flexors ie iliopsoas etc. What about strengthening your hammies as a counterbalance? There is a ratio of quad/hammie strength that is acceptable - are you in that range? Is there anyone you can see eg a biomechanics person?

I wouldn't say that my hamstrings are weak by any means, but I could definately benefit from more stretching.

Matt DeMinico
10-17-2007, 08:28 AM
In addition to anything you're prone to, most likely you probably got way out of form while doing Linda. Repping deadlifts is killer, especially that many reps. I know I've tended to do that in the past.

As for loosening up the quads, yeah, you can do it on the foam roller, it's going to hurt like crazy the first time, then loosen up a LOT the 2nd time but sitll hurt some, eventually it'll get to where it doesn't hurt at all.

Steven Low
10-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Static stretching is best after your workout.

wfs:
http://www.drillsandskills.com/stretching

Gymnasts are known for being some of the most flexible (and strong) athletes on the planet so check out some of the stretches we do.. might help you out.

Jerry Glaeser Jr.
10-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Static stretching is best after your workout.

wfs:
http://www.drillsandskills.com/stretching

Gymnasts are known for being some of the most flexible (and strong) athletes on the planet so check out some of the stretches we do.. might help you out.

Thanks bud! I think I just need to start putting some more energy into stretching and working on my flexability. Thanks for that link, funny because alot of those stretches are similar to yoga positions. :thanx:

Jerry Glaeser Jr.
10-17-2007, 10:54 AM
In addition to anything you're prone to, most likely you probably got way out of form while doing Linda. Repping deadlifts is killer, especially that many reps. I know I've tended to do that in the past.

As for loosening up the quads, yeah, you can do it on the foam roller, it's going to hurt like crazy the first time, then loosen up a LOT the 2nd time but sitll hurt some, eventually it'll get to where it doesn't hurt at all.

very true...that is a ton of reps with that weight. My back is feeling much better today, but I still must focus on stretching more. thanks for the comments!:)

Jay Cohen
10-17-2007, 11:21 AM
very true...that is a ton of reps with that weight. My back is feeling much better today, but I still must focus on stretching more. thanks for the comments!:)

Consider buying foam roller, 3 x 6 just came today for me. (Perform Better)

Try a good deep tissue massage, it will not be pleasant

Google Rolfing, see if it's for you. I'm on my fifth session.

Think about a once a week yoga class, if you can find a good one.

Get in to a Deep Squat and sit there for 1,5,10 minutes, 3 x per day.