PDA

View Full Version : Strained Iliopsoas?

Mike Groth
10-10-2007, 04:24 PM
For Tuesdays WOD we did a buddy workout. It went as follows w/ a partner you have 5 minutes at each excercise and you can only do the exercise while your partner is resting. 1) GHD Situp w/ wallball shot (6lb medicine ball). 2) Box Jumps. 3) Ring Dips

Today when I woke up I could barely lift my left leg and my abs are killing me. I understand why my abs hurt but Im also REALLY sore in my left leg near the pelvic girdle. If I recall my anatomy correctly the muscle is either my iliopsoas or sartorius. It hurts any time I have to lift my leg including just walking. The pain is only on my left side and feels a little worse than the regular DOMS I have gotten from CF. Could this be a muscle strain/tear?

Mike Groth
10-10-2007, 05:56 PM
If this is just a case of DOMS what is a good way to stretch out this muscle/muscle group?

Anthony Bainbridge
10-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Could this be a muscle strain/tear?
It might be. Have you checked http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/hip_groin_pain.php (WFS) for possibilities?

Mike Groth
10-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks for that link it sounds like it may be an inflamed iliopsoas. I definitely over-did the situps and there was extra weight involved. Im really horrible at searching for stuff (I tried but couldn't come up with anything that really described what Im feeling like that site did).

I will hop in the hottub tonight when I get home from work and from the illustration it looks like the sampson stretch is the best way to stretch these muscles.

Armin Heravi
10-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Question on this...I've inflamed my hip flexors before, and general treatment I saw was ibuprofen, ice, and rest. However, the link provided references heat--granted, I think it sounds a bit ambiguous.

I'm guessing the intent of the website is 1. Stop working out (rest) until inflammation goes away. 2. When getting ready to start working out again, use heat/heat retainers to keep the muscle warm/flexible. 3. Stretch.

Is this correct? I think it may be misread as "if you have a hip flexor strain, apply heat."

Jay Cohen
10-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks for that link it sounds like it may be an inflamed iliopsoas. I definitely over-did the situps and there was extra weight involved. Im really horrible at searching for stuff (I tried but couldn't come up with anything that really described what Im feeling like that site did).

I will hop in the hottub tonight when I get home from work and from the illustration it looks like the sampson stretch is the best way to stretch these muscles.

FORGET THE HEAT, USE ICE ICE ICE ICE AND MORE ICE. Once the inflam has gone down, say 72 hours, consider some heat, but that rush's the blood back to the injury, so it's ICE, ICE AND MORE ICE.

Heat is not your friend, unless you just have some easy sore muscles that need relaxed, but for injury, ICE ICE ICE ICE

Armin Heravi
10-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Jay,

Thanks for (indirectly) answering my question. I almost flipped when I saw the "heat" reference.