PDA

View Full Version : Marathon Training and Knee Pain

Tom Girouard
10-01-2007, 01:39 PM
I have developed some type of knee pain on the outside of one knee. I think it's tendonitis. My problem is I'm committed to running a marathon on 10/28. I gutted out 10 miles yesterday, first 5 were ok but last 5 were not good. I'm looking for recommendations for dealing with the pain, should I continue to train or give it rest along with traditional treatment(ice and ibuprofan). No delusions on the race, I only want to finish in 4+ hours. I feel I have enough training base in to finish, but need to know what to do for the next 4 weeks.

Aileen Reid
10-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Look up ITBS, might be that. Lots of stuff on the net for it - stretches etc etc.

Trevor Thompson
10-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Take ibuprofen before the runs and after the runs, then R.I.C.E. Rest Ice Compression Elevation. Ice for 20 minutes at a time a few times a day if you can.

Wade Smith
10-01-2007, 05:20 PM
My Phys Therapist suggests (1) friction massage on upper patellar tendon where it connects below kneecap (5 mins a day). (2) Ice massage using ice-cup (5 mins or until numb). (3) Straight Leg raises. Elevate injured leg straight a dozen inches off floor (if laying down) while aggressively tightening and tensioning the quads. Do 10 sets of 10 for 100 total at one time each day. (4) Thigh/quad stretches with pelvis pushed forward and buttocks tightened. Feel for max upper-thigh tightening. Note: Another CFer posted an illustration of a very aggressive stretch (do a search) and my PT likes that but says to use a belt to pull your back leg instead of your hand. Hold all stretches 2 minutes.

He brought my screaming patella tendon back to feelgoodedness with one visit.

Good luck. Lay off the running for a few days (or more) until the tenderness subsides. Ibuprofen only MASKS the injury that persists. Don't rupture it. Then you'll really be sidelined.

Aileen Reid
10-01-2007, 07:20 PM
A word of caution. There's a world of difference between patellar tendonitis and ITBS. SIDE of knee suggests ITBS.

Aaron Trent
10-01-2007, 07:49 PM
What shoes are you wearing? It may be time to start running barefoot and buying some shoes that put you in that same foot position. For me, that means cross country waffles.

Sean Dunston
10-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Tom-
See a podiatrist.
Pronto!

I know it isn't cheap, but you don't want to do irreparable harm to yourself by running on an injury. Basic rule of thumb - if running is causing you pain - stop!

I ran one 1/2 marathon last year, 3 more 1/2 marathons this year, and my fourth and final of the year is in 2 weeks.

I wear neoprene straps (about 8" wide) on both legs that fit above the ankle and below the calf. This was to assist tendinitis caused by running. I went to a podiatrist and learned I have severe over pronation in both feet whioch caused stress on the tendons at the front of my legs. I have also been fitted for custom orthotics, those go into my running shoes between the sole and insole. So they make the shoes heavy? Yes -- but it eliminates the pain I used to have after/during runs.

I didn't get the orthotics until about a month prior to my first race in September of 2006. I had done a 12 mile training run. About 7 miles into it I started feeling a twinge of pain in my right ankle. I otherwise felt fine -- good speed, good breathing, etc., so I just gutted it out for the next 5 miles. Big mistake! The next morning I woke up with a black and blue goose egg on my LEFT ankle, and it was very painful to walk. Why? I was told by the Dr. it was a compensating injury -- in order to alleviate pressure on my right ankle my body compensated by making a slight shift of weight in my running pattern for the next 5 miles. I was ORDERED to not run or even bike (that would cause too much rotation on the ankle) for the next month -- which was exactly the amount of time prior to the race (my very first 1/2 marathon).

I would not wish the experience I had during that race -- having not trained for the final month leading up to it -- on ANYONE. :eek:

Ohh - I'm not a Dr. and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night... but that is what really happened to me!

Cal Jones
10-02-2007, 02:50 PM
I think ITBS as well - I've had that. Try some sports massage or active release - it'll hurt a lot though. And do see a physio or podiatrist. I had to tape my kneecap to keep it tracking properly (a tight ITB will pull it out of alignment, causing friction) and also stretch a LOT. Good luck.

Robert Olajos
10-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Not running the marathon is an option. Personally, I'd rather take the time to get this problem straightened out than force myself to run a marathon and then be laid up with a serious injury for months. Been there, done that, not again thanks.

Jay Cohen
10-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Tom;

All posted advice is good, best is, rest three weeks, no running, maybe some swimming, intense RICE with any type of Med you feel OK with, some therapy if you can afford it, or here is my fav, blow it off. Since this isn't the biggest race in your life time, haven't been training for years for this one race, 4+ is not the most aggressive goal (not saying it's bad, but if you were shooting to qualify for Boston and needed a 3:15, then we'd be talking steroidal shot).

Chill on this race, rehab the injury, come back extra strong on your WOD and O-lifts and you just might realize, 1/2 marathons are not physically in your best interest to run. Now, a brisk 5k every so often, different story.

Good Luck in what ever you decide.

Tom Girouard
10-04-2007, 10:44 AM
I appreciate all the feedback, but the race is for a cause, to honor a fallen warrior, 1LT Travis Manion, who lost his life last April in Iraq. Blowing it off is not an option. I am doing it for him, his family and another 80+ folks (friends, family and Marines) who are running under the group "TEAM TRAVIS" in the Marine Corps Marathon. See www.indcjournal.com (W/F safe) for more info on Travis. I am taking time off, continuing to lift, row, stretch and ice in hopes of getting better to run. Will test next week with a new pair of shoes and see how it goes.

Again, thanks to all who offered their assistance.

And yes, I believe the training for and running a marathon is counter to just about everything I try to achieve through training.

Aileen Reid
10-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Good luck! You know what they say - a change is as good as rest! :)

Jay Cohen
10-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Tom;
The cause is a great one, so run/walk a smart race.
Good luck, let us know how it turns out.