PDA

View Full Version : numbness altered sensation in lateral thigh

Adrian Cradock
09-10-2007, 04:27 AM
Hi all
just looking for advice i have recently started olympic lifting and have comp coming up lifting heavy with a minimal background but have good technique. recently i strained tore hip flexor coming up out of Overhead squat. had been icing intermittently and could power clean and power snatch away only affected by heavy deep front squat other day was ice masssaging was feeling funny sensation down leg then after leg on outer side feels different and has remained since area coresponds to LUMBAR 2 dermatome. and can be triggered further by a hip flexor stretch leaning away from the area.
any advice appreciated
regards adrian

Ben Kaminski
09-10-2007, 05:54 AM
Sounds like the nerve is being affected downstream of the injured area. This could be caused by swelling, or scar tissue, or both, depending on how bad the original tear was. I think you are making it worse by continuing to power clean and snatch. I would stop lifting weights for the remainder of the healing process, as there could be a risk of permanent nerve damage.

NSAIDS might help to reduce any swelling/inflammation while the tissue heals. They might make it so the numbness goes away quickly, but until the tissue heals the risk of damage is still there.

Massage for the entire duration of healing might help to minimize scar tissue. Also, avoiding weightlifting for the duration of healing can help to minimize scar tissue.

Hope this helps!

Ken Mindoro
09-10-2007, 06:04 PM
sounds like meralgia parasthetica caused by your hip flexor pushing your lateral femoral cutaneous nerve against the inguinal ligament. like ben said, give it a chance to heal.

ps this advice is probably worth what it cost you to obtain. see your doctor if you're still concerned.

Adrian Cradock
09-11-2007, 11:37 AM
thank you Ken and Ben for your advice much appreciated
regards Adrian