PDA

View Full Version : Knees to Elbows

Travis Butler
08-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Hello all -

What would a good substitution be for knees to elbows (KTE)?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Later
Travis

Mark Gleason
08-30-2007, 07:27 PM
If you're looking for a substitute that does not require a pull up bar from which to dead hang, try reverse "crunches". You lay on your back and bring the knees to the chest. You could also do these on the end of a bench to increase the ROM.

Zach Wright
08-30-2007, 11:18 PM
Usually when a workout calls for KTE I just hang from a pullup bar and bring my knees up as high as they will go. Its not a full ROM but it works the same general muscle group and hopefully as I lose weight and get stronger I'll be able to get my knees all the way up there.

Travis Hall
08-31-2007, 07:12 AM
You could try an ab wheel. They give an amazing core workout.

T.

Peter Queen
08-31-2007, 08:28 AM
Mark and Zach’s advice are good.
Good suggestion on the ab wheel Travis H.. But Travis B. if you use the ab wheel though, (which I use also and absolutely love) make sure you carefully watch your technique so as not to overstrain your lower back.

Here is a (w/f safe) link that shows a good illustration of proper form.
http://www.beastskills.com/AbWheel.htm

Scroll down to the“From the knees” section. This is a good starting point for anybody. And make absolutely sure that you keep your chin tucked in while executing the technique.

Melvin Alegre
09-05-2007, 08:00 PM
quick question: which one is better, doing knees to elbows after doing heavy squats (or heavy deadlifts) or squats (or deadlifts) first before knees to elbows?

Blair Robert Lowe
09-06-2007, 12:35 AM
Melvin, your grammar is confusing us a bit. No worries, either you're tired or maybe it's a second language.

Anycase, I don't think knees to elbows are that tiring of an exercise if you're worried about your midline stability when squatting or deadlifting heavy.

Melvin Alegre
09-06-2007, 03:15 AM
I'm so sorry for the confusing sentence construction. :o

Which is better, do knees to elbows first before heavy squats or heavy squats before knees to elbows. I'm basically concerned if one of the two sequences might negatively affect the lower back.

Michael Cooley
09-06-2007, 01:13 PM
I definitely would squat first. No two ways about it.

If you do KTE first, you're going to seriously compromise your core strength (including your abs) which are crucial to maintaining good posture and an upright torso during heavy squats. By pre-fatiguing the core with heavy ab work BEFORE squatting, you're setting yourself up for (at best) poorer performance and (at worst) major injury.

mpc