PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder/elbow pain

Elliot Royce
08-27-2007, 06:02 AM
I should have posted this a while ago. For the past 2 months, I've had pain in the shoulder and elbow which seems to have come from overuse in snatches (which I just started doing around 2 months ago).

The pain only occurs when I lower my arms in a plane with my trunk. To explain further, if I stand with my back against a wall and extend the arms over my head and against the wall and then lower them down, there is pain that starts in the elbow and moves along the back of the arm. The pain causes weakness. Put another way, on the negative phase of a push-press, there is pain.

There is no pain when lifting the arms or pushing upward.

The orthopedist originally said it was just a strain but it's not getting better.

Thanks for any advice.

Ben Kaminski
08-27-2007, 06:50 AM
Could it be a nerve impingement? It sounds possible to me, since it only happens with certain ROMs and causes weakness.

Elliot Royce
08-27-2007, 07:16 AM
It is possible as I have two cervical disk herniations on that side. On the other hand, it seems to have started with snatches and the herniations are no more painful than usual.

Ben Kaminski
08-27-2007, 10:32 AM
I was thinking more of an impingement, specifically located in your shoulder. I don't think it would be related to cervical disc herniations.

Impingement is generally caused by bad form in the overhead lifts. Specifically, not keeping the active shoulder in the OHS position is a major cause. Since you said you were working snatches a lot, I figured there might be a connection.

Elliot Royce
08-27-2007, 11:40 AM
that's certainly possible...what would be the treatment?

Mike Shaw
09-04-2007, 02:02 AM
In the same vein of the trigger point therapy I found that playing and manipulating your fingers around the side and inparticular the back (directly behind where the collarbone stops and the shoulder begins) works wonders. I had a similar case where I aggravated it from snatches and power cleans, I found the initiall sore spot in the muscle that overlaps the back of the shoulder to the front around the side of the shoulder (if that makes specific medical sense) I then rubbed the #@$% out of it, so hard that the next day it would feel as though I had been hit - hard - in that specific spot. I feel by potentially rupturing whatever blackage was there it definately helped with the flow and overnight success was achieved. The very same thing was used for my elbow injury which was an "itis" thing, every night I would rub the crap out of it with my knuckles until it felt good and "bruised" so much so that I would really feel it the next day, then and now the pain has gone.

I will also add one note, Dont forget that there are major linkages to the muscles and what seems like a straightforward pain is actually linked to the muscle further down the line
ie: my shoulder stopped responding to the one point that alleviated the pain, one night playing around on a roller I hit a spot half way down my back almost in the centre and almost past the shoulder. When i hit that spot a tingle went straight through the sore point into my shoulder ,down through my elbow (where the "itis" pain was) and into my little fingers. That's my new toy at the moment which allows me to feel better and less pain about pushing people of me in BJJ and alround ME and Metcon days......

Very cool stuff, play with it and if you find a spot that hurts make it hurt more - pains a good thing :voodoo: