PDA

View Full Version : Strain? Tear?

Derek Maffett
08-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Yet another injury. :wallbash:

I was doing cross pullouts for the first time and found after I was done that my right pectoral was hurting. Not too intense, but there. The pain is pretty much nonexistent now but it still hurts sometimes with tension. I iced it, but I am wondering what that was. A strain or something like that?

I think I know why it might have happened though. I have worked pullups a lot in comparison to pressing, so the lats might have been okay with going further in the cross but the pectorals were being forced to work too hard.

Derek Maffett
08-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Anyone? Anyone at all?

Matt DeMinico
08-24-2007, 07:47 PM
I think if it was torn it would hurt with almost ANY tension at all, but if it's strained, when you start to put it under a decent load it'd start hurting. But I'm no doctor.

Steven Low
08-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Where does it hurt?

Derek Maffett
08-24-2007, 11:38 PM
It's pretty much healed by now, whatever it was, but the pain was around the middle of the pectoral. I still would be interested to know what it was, though. Might help in not letting it happen again.

Kevin McGuinness
08-25-2007, 07:38 PM
I too, am far from a doctor and unfortunately I'm starting my "Treatment of Athletic Injuries" class next week, BUT I am a rugby player... wait, that probably makes me a less reliable source doesnt it? Hmm...

Anyway, if it's healed in such a short amount of time, it was probably just a slight strain. As far as prevention goes, it may be a muscle imbalance as you suspect, or it could be a matter of form. I'm not sure how large a part the pecs play in pullups, but being a pulling motion I would imagine they act mostly as stablizers. Either way, work on strengthening your chest once its fully healed with wide pushups and dips to prevent future injury.

Derek Maffett
08-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Did some dips today and didn't feel a thing. Must have been a small issue. I'll be working dips more often now and try to get the pressing strength more on par with pulling.

Kevin King
08-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Your quick recovery implies a strain, pull or otherwise. Muscle ruptures, particularly pectoralis ruptures are pretty durned dramatic injuries that are excruciating.

Glad you're feeling better.

-- KK