PDA

View Full Version : Muscular imbalance due to shoulder injury

Simon Austin
08-12-2007, 05:34 PM
In 2001 I broke my collar bone and had a level 5 separation of my collarbone. Basically my collarbone broke, tore completely off my shoulder and rotated over 90 degrees, tearing through some of my traps which caused the formation of some scar tissue through it.

I had surgery on it, and a screw in my shoulder for 6 weeks to help keep the shoulder immobilized while the ligaments that tried to heal.

The screw has been out for a few years now and the clavicle still has a lot of movement in it when I press down on it, meaning that the ligaments are very loose, or never fully reattached.

Anyways, due to the 6 weeks of the screw holding my should immobile, my muscles atrophied quite a bit. To this day I continue to have less muscular development on my right (injured) side than my left, even though I am right handed.

Does anyone have any suggestions to specifically work one side of the upper body in a functional crossfit style way?

My right shoulder is definitely lower than my left side, but I'm not sure if it is actually weaker... Is it possible that as I built up my right side it developed as a more dense muscle than my left? So much so that it is visibly lower?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Samuel Redwine
08-13-2007, 06:03 AM
I have a r shoulder injury myself. I found that using dumbbells was a better course of action then barbells, kettlebells would also work as well. Just go heavier on your left.

Simon Austin
08-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Is it possible to do all of the exercises with dumbbells? The only one that I can think of right now that might take me a little while to get the hang of would be the clean, but I'm sure there are other ones that I'm not thinking of right now that would also be difficult.

No access to kettlebells right now, but I do have access to dumbbells at the gym. I should really pick up a set for my house.

Andy Shirley
08-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Search for Coach Rut's "Dumbbell Moves" DVD's. He has also written a few articles on DB training for the Crossfit Journal. Pretty much any move can be done with a DB.

If I were you, I would actually see a competent physical therapist to work on your issues.

It is common to have one shoulder sit a little lower than the other after a bad A/C separation