PDA

View Full Version : Somtimes so sore I feel sick...

Erin Schryver
08-15-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm curious if others are like this...
I know it is not an indicator of a great working, but I love DOMS like the next person. However, sometimes I get it and I am sooo sore I almost feel sick. Not always from met-con workouts, which of all the WOD's I would say I do fairly well with them. Sometimes it is lifting (like the other day when we did the shoulder press/ push press/ push jerk combo). The next day and esp the day after that, I get SO sore I feel ill. While mentally I think this is really cool and kinda makes me feel good like that, I wonder if others get so sore/ physiologically why this happens/ normal/ means anything, etc.

Milton Grasle
08-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Erin, When I get as sore as you're describing its usually for one of two reasons. One, I have way overdone an exercise, or done many many more reps and sets than I normally do. Or I do an exercise that I haven't done in quite some time. Example: At the crossfit in st.louis,they put out a challenge to do 500 air squats. I didn't know about it, so I didn't compete. But I did read about it later and noted the persons time. So I thought, I'd do them at home by myself. I went out fast, of course racing against the other person's time. I completed the 500, but for the next three days, my legs were toast, and extremely sore. I didn't feel ill though. When you say you feel ill, is it just a general sore/tired/malaise feeling or is it sicky, nausea? I've read somewhere about something called exercise induced nausea.

Matt DeMinico
08-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Milton, just FMI (for my information), what was that time for 500 air squats? I'd like to try to beat it :-) At current time, I can do over 200 nonstop in just about 4 minutes. I haven't tried to go past that though... And yes, when I do this workout after not having done it for a while, I get DOMS for a few days after it. BUT, I found that doing another workout on the 2nd or 3rd day that involves full range of motion legs (not necessarily squats again, but possibly), the DOMS is gone the next day.

Milton Grasle
08-15-2007, 09:59 PM
Matt, my time for 500 squats was 14 minutes and forty seconds. I did 200 nonstop and rested for about a minute. I tried to do another 200, but I couldn't my thighs really started to burn at about 100, so I rested again and finshed with 2 more sets of 100. Good luck. Let me know how you do.

Matt DeMinico
08-16-2007, 05:51 AM
Dang that's pretty good Milton. What was the record time you were trying to beat?

Milton Grasle
08-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Matt, it was forty five minutes.

Jonathan Thomas Powers
08-16-2007, 11:46 AM
To the OP, I think your over doing it. Scale back the load some, until you get stronger/more endurance.

Milton Grasle
08-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Erin, I forgot to ask you how you felt immediately after you finished your workout.

Susie Rosenberg
08-16-2007, 03:12 PM
When I feel sick or flu-ish, that's my signal that I need a DOR, no matter what the schedule calls for.

Other signs of overtraining include increase in morning resting heart rate, legs feeling sore, tired and heavy longer than usual after a workout, insomnia, weight loss, loss of enthusiasm for training.

Pay attention to all those signals and see how you do. You may need to ease up a little.

Susie

Erin Schryver
08-16-2007, 04:46 PM
It's just a general sore/tired/malaise feeling. Nothing sick to my stomach.
After the WO's I am usually pumped and on an adrenaline kick so generally happy and feeling great. It's usually the next day and esp the day after that it starts kicking in.
Don't know my morning HR but will pay attn and see what it is. Insomnia is a yes, lots of nightmares actually. No loss of enthusiasm for training. Usually can't wait to hit the gym and have to force the off days.

Milton Grasle
08-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Erin, you have described exactly how I feel when I've done just a little too much. I too feel almost energized after a workout, sometimes euphoric even, but the next couple of days can be pretty rough. One way to find out for sure is to slowly cut back on each intended workout until you feel just moderately tired a day or so after, but able to still do a workout. To be honest, I should practice what I preach , but I still sometimes go all out when the workout is going so well and end up doing too much. I believe what you're experiencing is the results of just doing a little too much. Hope this helps.

Erin Schryver
08-18-2007, 05:17 AM
Thanks all!
Milton- I understand just what you mean. Sometimes taking a rest day or scaling back is prob what we need but...ooohhh, its always so tempting to go all out!
But I will give it a try and see if it helps
Thanks again! :-)

Rich Stackon
08-22-2007, 11:06 AM
That's systemic fatigue. If you have headaches too, that's another indication of overtaining. Nothing wrong with adding a rest day in there.