PDA

View Full Version : Low Back Injury

Sean Harrison
08-18-2007, 01:53 AM
I did deadlifts with all 25lb plates a few days ago and felt my lower back give out. I've been in pain and partially immobilized since then. I can walk and lay down but sitting can hurt and whatever.
It'll probably be OK in 2 or 3 days and want recommendations on what to do once I return to exercise. I know to do deadlift strictly..well...I knew that before too, but I didn't keep an arch when I hurt it. Oops.
Thanks in advance.

Aileen Reid
08-18-2007, 02:20 AM
I think you just answered your own question! :happy:. Seriously, always maintain your normal lumbar curve. If you haven't done any core work that might also be useful. Not sure how it is in the US but here in Oz its good to go to pilates with a physical therapist for a while to get the hang of it. Classes in gyms aren't usually precise enough. Learnt to use your transversus abdominus and glueteus medius etc properly to stabilise.

Meanwhile, anti-inflammatories, lots of stretching etc etc.

Susie Rosenberg
08-18-2007, 04:26 AM
I had great results with acupuncture for acute back pain after lifting. (Actually, I hurt myself putting dumbbells AWAY, down on a bottom rack.)

Activity as tolerated, regular doses of anti-inflammatories, comfort measures (ice, heat, whatever works). Time.

Susie

Sean Harrison
08-18-2007, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the posts! What is a good anti-inflammatory?

Ryan Irish
08-18-2007, 07:37 AM
Ibuprofen(Tylenol) is an anti-inflammatory, as is naproxen(Aleve). For anything stronger you'll need to see a doctor.

Susie Rosenberg
08-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Actually, Tylenol is not an anti-inflammatory. The generic name of Tylenol is acetomenophen, and it reduces pain and fever, but not inflammation, which is component of almost every exercise-related injury.

OTC (non-presciption) anti-inflammatories include naprosyn (Naproxen, Aleve) and ibuprofen (Motrin and others), and aspirin. These drugs also reduce pain and fever, but additionally, decrease the inflammatory response.

Susie

Aileen Reid
08-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Susie is correct. Bear in mind that often OTC anti-inflammatories are weaker than what the doc might prescribe. Also that some are better than others for some people - seems to be an individual thing. I tend to use Voltaren or Movalis.

Trevor Thompson
08-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Aleve Liquid Gell Capsules. Good for pain and inflammation.