CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-21-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
Jenika Gordon

Profile:
I have an interesting issue here. I just got a new client and she cannot digest fat among other things. The doctors do not know what exactly is wrong with her, but anytime she eats fat or sugar etc her body reacts and she gets nausia or sore joints. She has developed osteoporosis and weighs only 100lbs. One doctor told her that her blood can;t produce any energy, hence she can't digest food. I would love to get her on the zone, since it would help her improve bone density, etc, however she cannot digest fat. She can digest us to 2 grams of fat at one meal other than that she gets very sick. Does anyone have any suggestions in regard to her nutrition? Or has anyone heard of this before?
Old 08-21-2006, 07:29 PM   #2

Profile:

not sure what that doc means by the blood can't produce energy...

do supplemental digestive enzymes help?

if she really can't get any more fat than that, i would use up the quota with pharm-grade fish oil and try to meet caloric needs with protein and paleo carbs, maybe with some sweet potatoes/yams for denser sources.

if she can't digest whole protein well either, she might try MRM's supplemental whey with nitrozyme--breaks down the peptides and makes digestion a lot easier (I can take 200-300 g/day of the stuff with zero problems).

http://www.mrm-usa.com/proddetail.ph...ey-5lbs&cat=17
Old 08-21-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Similar problem. My wife has been unable to digest protein but fat is okay. Now to my point. From all the stuff that I have read. If I am wrong on this some one please correct me. Your body absorbs fat two ways. It can go directly from the intestines into the blood (and then to the liver?) (short chain trigylcerides) and fat globules (long chain) into the lymph system and to the liver for massaging into fatty acids that the body can use. The next question is does she poop the fat out or pee the fat out? I guess a fatty poop is really nasty. There is something wrong with the bowel if you are pooping it. Here intestines could be inflammed and which can cause a back pressure on the lymph system and cause problem. I am not sure what could be wrong if you pee it out. The liver not doing the right thing? There could be other GI things like not enough enzymes from the pancreas and gall bladder to help with digestion. The reason I have a vague idea is that my wife has been having GI issues and I have been scouring the internet. Took her to the Mayo Clinic, because the local docs weren't cutting it. Turns out that she could have pericarditis that is putting back pressure on the lymph system that then messes with her guts. Talk about frustrating. You client should get another opinion. Just my long drawn out and possibly inaccurate two cents.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
Same thing happened to me if I ate any fat; I would get spastic colon until I would finally throw up. It turned out to be a bad gallbladder that triggered all this. It took 5 different doctors and 14 years of , and finally my sister diagnosed me. Had the dang durn thing out a year and a half ago, and feel wonderful. It also cured my lower back pain that would show up every time I tried to lie down. It could be a lot of things but it would not hurt to pursue this avenue.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:57 AM   #5
Peter Terry Haas

Profile:
Has she had any sort of genetic screening? Does she have any sort of deformities or other maladies?

Enzyme deficiencies can manifest with physical deformities as a result of genetic abnormalities. The physical symptoms not need be congenital, they may have manifested recently. The inability to digest fat coupled with the osteoporosis makes me think this.

Good luck helping your client
Old 08-24-2006, 08:37 AM   #6
Jenika Gordon

Profile:
Thank you to everyone! Peter no she has not had any sort of genetic screening. I will let her know. Greg, she cannot take fish oil, so I will let her know about the supplemental digestive enzymes. Thanks Guys.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
Taha Mohamedali

Profile:
Jenika,
I second the recommendation on Pro-biotics and also agree with Greg's direction towards a high quality Protien supplement.
Do you know if your client has had any injuries or surgery in the pancreatic region? My aunt has a similar issue with digesting fat and it's because she cannot produce enough bile. Bile emulsifies the fat that we eat, ie. it takes a large clump of many fat molecules and separates them out into smaller, digestable clumps.

here's a nice link:
http://www.colorado.edu/eeb/web_reso...oons/bile.html

Old 08-24-2006, 02:31 PM   #8
William Hunter

Profile:
I thought bile was produced by the liver and stored in the gallbladder.

Bobbi - I'm surprised it took doctors that long to dx your gallbladder. Maybe that's b/c I live in the south, where people are big...and unhealthy. Gallbladders get sucked out arthroscopically morning noon and night here.

Females in their forties have a higher incidence of GB dysfunction than most other groups, FWIW.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:22 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I don't have time for a long explanation of the following, I'm going to contribute it anyway...

I'd hazard a guess (more like I know) your client has had her gallbladder removed. I see this issue all too often. Set it up, knock it down. I actually ask my middle-aged female patients if they have their gallbladder early in the interview!

Liver makes bile, gallbladder stores bile, bile is squirted out as necessary for fat-containing meals. The gallbladder DOES have a function, as is evidenced in these situations!

If the liver is overloaded, the bile is full of "toxins" (I don't like the word either, it is a necessary evil). A normal route of the liver's detoxification is through the bile (and hence through the stool). Over time, these "toxins" marinate the gallbladder, resulting in gallbladder issues (attacks/cholecystitis and stones/cholelithiasis).

With nearly any GI issue these days, conventional doctors do not hesitate in any way to remove people's (especially women's) gallbladders. The gallbladder "group" is the 4 F's--Female, Fat, Forty, and Fertile. Removal of the GB does not fix the problem that the liver has (in terms of being overloaded and creating toxic bile) while removing the body's ability to store bile for use with fatty meals (one is left with a trickle of bile versus a big bolus). Thus we have a giant segment of the population unable to digest fats (that's on top of the fact that most people are eating rancid/hydrogenated/plasticized fats).

So, these people need bile. Ox bile is what is commonly used. I provide it to my patients in the form of Hypo-Gest from Priority One. Typically 1-6 tablets (this is determined black box style by the patient) taken in the MIDDLE of a meal. This will often remedy problems immediately. For example, I helped a patient relieve her gallbladder pain (and vomiting with fatty meals) that radiated to her back (classic!) with 1 tablet per meal.

Such a simple solution. Too bad it doesn't make Big Pharma any money or more doctors would actually know about it.

BTW, the liver is overloaded b/c nearly everyone's guts are compromised--the portal vein takes all of the "stuff" from the intestines directly to the liver to be "processed". Got bad guts, you got a bad liver. Gotta fix the gut if you ever want to fix the liver. Want to fix the gut? Get the Body Ecology Diet book by Donna Gates (www.BodyEcologyDiet.com). For those of you on this board who think I know what I'm talking about, this book has finally put together many of the missing pieces (yes, even the Paleo/Zone has holes one can drive a truck through) for me.

I don't have time for skeptics, believe it if you wish. Or even better, try it out!
Old 08-26-2006, 07:55 AM   #10
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Garrett,
I must admit that I was highly skeptical of your nutritional advice at first. However, after doing additional research and more importantly, experimenting with some of your dietary suggestions...I've become a true believer in your work and the benefits of "dietary healing." This might not be the right time to say it, but I wanted to thank you for your contributions here and also to the other crossfitters for dispensing top-notch nutrition knowledge. This site (as well Art DeVaney's blog) have been a true blessing in disguise in my life. Thank you and keep up the good work! Karma is a wonder thing.