CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-30-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

My goal is to get as muscled as possible but still be athletic and very functional. Let's say I follow Crossfit religously (with some ME work thrown in) and decide to eat 6 meals on the Zone with 5 blocks each, totalling 30 blocks. Would this be a good way to go about doing it?

I guess my philosophy is: if you want to be a monster, shouldn't you eat like one, and train like one?

Kurt
Old 05-30-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Kurt, that is almost exactly what I do, except I also add some fat blocks and somedays only eat 24 blocks total. Also, by Crossfit standards I train like a prepubescent monster. I think it is a decent idea for me because I am skinny. Are you skinny? This might not be an ideal way to approach the skinny problem but I like it and it seems to be working to some extent with no negatives so far. I figure it is better to pick something and ride it out to see where it goes then spend all day thinking of a perfect solution. If you find something better please let me know.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

Nick,
I come from the other end of the spectrum. I'm a former fat boy... it's easy for me to gain weight and harder (not impossible) for me to take it off.

Kurt
Old 05-30-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Oh, my body, behavior, or whatnot puts me exactly opposite you. As a FFB is your bodyfat under control? If so I recall Robb suggesting increasing your block prescription by 2 and seeing where that took you in two weeks time and modifying accordingly.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Kurt,

IMHO, if your main goal is getting as big (muscle-wise) as possible, you'll have to accept that your fitness level (defined by CF standards) will be less that optimal. You can certainly be large and functional; however, you must understand that you're sacrificing performance to some extent. I've put on a good deal of muscle in fairly short period of time and have found that my limit-strength has went up while my strength-endurance and running times have worsened.

On the exercise front, I'd strongly encourage you to take a look at Anthony B's training log. The dude is a monster with killer performance to boot. Adding in two ME workouts per week in place of CF workouts will make a world of difference in your hypertrophy progress.

Considering the fact that it's easy for you to gain weight and difficult for you to lose it, I'd suggest starting at something more moderate than the 30 blocks. I'm all for eating big to get big, but big is a subjective term. What does your diet look like right now? How many calories are you taking in? How much protein? What's your current weight and body fat%? What weight/body fat level are you shooting for? Gotta figure out where you want to be before you can chart a map to get there.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:04 PM   #6
Thomas Beasley

Profile:
what does the abreviation "ME" stand for?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:
max effort
Old 05-31-2006, 04:51 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Kurt, one body-structural goal at a time. If you need to lose more BF (as a FFB), I would concentrate on the WOD's and nutrition get to 5-6% and then work on muscle gain. Any EXCESSIVE weight gain, muscle or fat, will decrease your strength to weight ratio and VO2 Max, thereby decreasing fitness. Really examine why you want to gain massive amounts of muscle, then look at Greg A., Rob Wolf, Greg E., Matt G., (not to mention Annie, Nicole, Eve, Cill) all elite crossfiters. They look "normal" in t-shirt and jeans, but are ripped and fit as hell. No, in my opinion, gross over-musculature.