CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 10-20-2015, 06:28 AM   #1
Christopher Morris

Profile:
CrossFit competition by weight class

https://games.crossfit.com/liftoff/ (wfs)

This is interesting. CrossFit is hosting an online competition by weight class. The idea of weight class divisions has been discussed plenty on the forum and in the boxes for sure, but has generally been shied away from in official CrossFit competitions. Small athletes complained about wall balls and heavy barbells. Heavy athletes complained about pull ups. A lot of discussion about who has an advantage in any given movement. Official competitions took the approach, "Advantages even out. Be consistent throughout and you'll win in the end."

This online competition is a simple three events: snatch, C&J, and a TBA workout (probably a metcon). My perception is that they are testing the waters for weight classes, and weight classes make a lot of sense in the Olympic lifts.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #2
Danielle Chollet

Profile:
Re: CrossFit competition by weight class

There are only 3 cash prizes for pound-for-pound lifting total, 5 for absolute lifting results (super heavyweights are winning these), 5 for overall total (including the wod) which aren't weight classed. All 5 masters and 5 teen big-prize packages (overall total including wod) are not weight classed. So that's only 3 out of 23 big prizes which take body weight into account.

Aside from the big prizes, they are ranking people's overall scores (wod included) within their 10 lb. weight classes and the top 3 in each weight class win... a belt. This doesn't seem like a testing of the waters as you said, it seems like a little bone they are throwing out there so lightweight crossfitters will want to play, when otherwise they would have had no chance against the heavyweights.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I saw the "lift off" and all i thought as, what an easy way for Ilya Ilyin to make nine thousand dollars.......if I was him I would most certainly just do a regular heavy training session on a Friday and max out. He owns the world record C and J for 105 and isn't that far off on the snatch. The prizes are awarded for the biggest lifts and not the total score.

No exerciser is touching his lifts. He could just do a round of whatever nonsense they throw at the end.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:20 AM   #4
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

They did this in the open too with 15.1

I don't think they plan to go into weight classes in the future. More likely they just wanted it to be all inclusive and knew no one under 200lbs would sign up unless they did it this way.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Should have only people who competed in the open be able to submit scores. Sometimes x fit is not thinking much.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

No weight class for Masters. Nice work Crossfit....

Another "FU" to the Masters crew who would have liked to compete
Old 10-27-2015, 06:31 AM   #7
Patrick A Horsman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Plomchok View Post

Don't see where you get that. Looks to be weight classes for masters on the leaderboard to me.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:33 AM   #8
Danielle Chollet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Plomchok View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick A Horsman View Post
Don't see where you get that. Looks to be weight classes for masters on the leaderboard to me.
The weight classes are just for fun for everybody to compare themselves---masters or not. THE ONLY CASH PRIZES which take bodyweight into account are the top 3 pound for pound prizes, which is just an easy way for a world class lifter to bag some easy cash. So if it's an "FU" to the masters it's pretty much an "FU" to everybody else, too. Don't take it so seriously.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #9
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

It's 10$ to sign up. Sure we might not win but who cares. It is their comp, they set it up how they want and give prizes accordingly.

Somehow having a weight class for each month, day, year and first and last name of each competitor seems a bit of an overkill so everyone can get a sticker.

They know what they are doing by pulling in Olympic caliber athletes. It is a great marketing strategy to get their name out there to those who might not Crossfit but if "insert big name here" competed in a competition they just might (also the chance of equipment sales to those people now too)

Yeah my 200lb snatch and 245 c&j wont win the 200lb or even the 40-45 group. Still the fact that I can do those numbers is more than most of my 35-45 year old friends