CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-03-2006, 06:41 AM   #1
Timothy C Dixon

Profile:
I started taking fish and flaxseed oil about a month ago. I have had some side effects from starting to take them. First about an hour or so after taking them I feel tired, by this I mean sleepy but I still have plenty of energy if I ignore this and exercise anyway. When I take them about an hour before bed I sleep very well. Is this a normal response to taking these oils? Good side effects is my hair is nice and shiny and my skin is clear and nice. I usually needed lotion on my knees, elbows, and hands but they do not have that dry white flakiness anymore so I definitely like this effect.

I do not like feeling drowsy though. Anyone have any ideas here?
Old 04-03-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

I have no idea if this is a common response (I certainly don't get it), but it sounds like there's a wonderful solution . . . take it before bedtime and get benefits both ways.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I second David's suggestion. We tend to process fats/oils better at night anyway.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:55 AM   #4
Paul Alvarez

Profile:
Location: Long Beach for school, Maui and San Jose are home  CA
Great stuff Dr. G! I just heard the CFLive show you were on. a few questions...
Im not all that educated about supplements and what not so in a nut shell based on someone with no other health problems what would they need? And also I work for a trucking company so Im on the road 13 hrs a day usually 3-4 days a week and all thats available is something quick and on the go aka fast food :sad:, is there anything else I should add to this list in the meantime.
-Protien powder
-Fish Oil
-Anti-Oxidant
-Probiotics
-Multi Vit
-and are the enzymes and himalayan minerals that important?
I love bell peppers and tomatoes but have been having joint soreness and want to cut out the night shades and grains, any thoughts on substitutions?
When my joints are inflamed I want to take a NSAID but can I if I am taking fish oil?
Thanks again for your great contribution to the CF community.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #5
Hone Watson

Profile:
A while back I had to change fish oil because it had quite a high mercury content which made me real tired.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Paul, I put out a thread titled something like "Dr. G's supplement suggestions" a little while ago. I couldn't tell from your post if you had read it or not. Either way, I'll go step by step through your questions.

Protein powder--I've recently taken a liking (well, a good tolerance to) hemp seed protein. It's high fiber (13g/serving) with a good amount of protein (11g/serving), also higher in good fatty acids than flax by weight. If you aren't interested, try to find a good whey protein that isn't artificially sweetened. I do have some Power Whey Stack available, sweetened with stevia and a tiny bit of fructose. Definitely the best tasting and best value for whey I've found. My wife loves it.

Fish Oil--Get on some cod liver oil, for the vitamins A and D, in addition to the EFAs.

Anti-Oxidant(s)--If you're taking CLO or fish oil, you need to be taking a vitamin E complex (mixed tocopherols and tocotrienols) with it to prevent excess lipid peroxides from forming upon ingestion. If you only wanted to take one antioxidant pill, I'd recommend E (because you're on fish oil already). Then would come a vitamin C complex derived from whole food. Then R-alpha lipoic acid (R-ALA). Then Zyflamend. That's the order I would put them in, take as many steps as you wish.

Probiotics--Pick one with as many cells and different strains (make sure they are endogenous to the human GI tract) as you can and take 1 capsule a day.

Multivitamin--To address another question with this one, the multi I take (Innate Response BioMax Food Multi III) contains all the basic vitamins/minerals, no herbs, and some added enzymes to aid in digestion. I really like it. You could also get some enzymes to take with you on an as-needed basis (ie. you eat too much, you eat the wrong/bad food, or a combo of both). I'd suggest you get a bit of the ground Himalayan salt to take with you on the road for seasoning the bad road food--at least the bad food can be made better.

There are really no substitutions for peppers and tomatoes. I do make some homemade cilantro pesto, that's about it. As for grains, the Performance Menu goes into potential subsitutions like quinoa.

If you are taking an NSAID irregularly as needed for joint pain, I wouldn't be concerned about interactions with your fish oil. The problem arises when NSAIDs become a regular part of the routine. I've mentioned before that I prefer a tincture (liquid) of white willow bark (Salix alba, the source of the salicylic acid active compound in aspirin). It may take a higher dose to get the pain relief you desire (due to required conversion in the liver into "aspirin"), however, there is no stomach bleeding or other negative side effects to be concerned about.

Hope that answered everything. I do carry my favorite brands/versions of all of the things mentioned above through my webstore except the himalayan salt--note that the store is down (at least in terms of ordering) right now, email me if you want to talk about purchasing anything.