CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-09-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
Steven Thunander

Profile:
CrossFit Games Amateur division

I think it is time to discuss the idea of a new section in the CrossFit games... the Amateur section. Now, amateurs would not be eligible for prize money. Also, to be in this division, you can not make money off CrossFit (whether it be as a Games athlete, in the open, as a coach or owner of a box, or sponsored for CrossFit or Functional Fitness; or competed in Regionals after 2011 as an individual or in the Games as a team or Masters level). I would also have a division within this division, the Military/LEO division. It would be a separate competition similar to the Masters and teen division.

The kicker- The athlete would have to declare if you are an amateur before the open and stick to it... No changing after registration. The athlete could still compete on a team if you choose and have your score count, but the athlete would not be eligible for prize money if your team is eligible for prize money.

Amateurs and Mil/LEO's would qualify for Carson during the Masters weekend following the same process as Masters/Teens.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Games Amateur division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thunander View Post
I think it is time to discuss the idea of a new section in the CrossFit games... the Amateur section. Now, amateurs would not be eligible for prize money. Also, to be in this division, you can not make money off CrossFit (whether it be as a Games athlete, in the open, as a coach or owner of a box, or sponsored for CrossFit or Functional Fitness; or competed in Regionals after 2011 as an individual or in the Games as a team or Masters level). I would also have a division within this division, the Military/LEO division. It would be a separate competition similar to the Masters and teen division.

The kicker- The athlete would have to declare if you are an amateur before the open and stick to it... No changing after registration. The athlete could still compete on a team if you choose and have your score count, but the athlete would not be eligible for prize money if your team is eligible for prize money.

Amateurs and Mil/LEO's would qualify for Carson during the Masters weekend following the same process as Masters/Teens.
I understand where you are going with this but at what point do we draw a line so everyone can or can't get a ribbon?

While one or two more divisions might be nice I would say a paraplegic division would be my first thought before any others. Watching them compete and the dedication they have to overcome so many obstacles when so many others quit and have it a lot easier.

Not bashing the thought but asking ourselves when are we diluting the koolaid vs keeping it flavorful and worth having?
Old 08-10-2015, 02:13 AM   #3
Alex Burden

Profile:

Have to agree with Shawn on this one... sorry

Amateurs can compete at the box level as they do today and the Games is for the elite only, that is why we have The Open, for everyone.

Paraplegic division would be a massive step in the right direction for The Games and the one real positive thing within CF during 2016.

Who knows they may already be planning this....
Old 08-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gWIedv6IElk Wfs
Old 08-10-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
This is what i am talking about.....

amazing just amazing ....
Old 08-10-2015, 06:02 PM   #6
Adrian Garcia

Profile:

I see nothing wrong with a first responder Division, mil/LEO/fire fighter I would like to see someone who isn't a gym owner/coach division.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:56 AM   #7
Rob Bousquet

Profile:

So since I am an affiliate owner and coach I am a pro?
Old 08-11-2015, 08:45 AM   #8
Diana Alt

Profile:

We already have an amateur division. It's called the open. Also, if a separate division were created, I think its ludicrous to exclude coaches and affiliate owners. It's not uncommon for those people to have less time to train because they are busy serving their clients - calling them Pro just because they coach is nuts.

As to an LEO division, there is no reason for them to be separated. Far better to continue growing thr teen division since there are legitimate developmental differences between teens and adults, as well as adaptive divisions.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #9
Christopher Morris

Profile:

They're not great at CrossFit because they're all* coaches/affiliate owners. They're coaches because they're great at CrossFit.

I don't see an amateur division happening, but it would be great for comparison. What if one lane per event was your average CrossFitter. That would really give some comparison to how great the top athletes are. The Matt Frasers and Annie Thorisdottirs would be killing it, and they're be some Joe or Jane huffing it, hitting the time cap on every event, just so we don't forget how incredible the achievements of the winners are. I would volunteer to be that guy.

*Not all top athletes are affiliate owners. See Val Voboril, John Pera, Julie Foucher, etc.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:33 AM   #10
Joel Chapman

Profile:

How about a division for those who exclusively follow Main Page exercise programming?