CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-22-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
John McGuire

Profile:
Running a competition advice

I am in the early stages of putting together an outdoor competition in the late spring early summer
I just had a few questions and wanted to get some feedback
1) Is there a software program anyone would recommend for tracking results?
2) Has anyone ever heard of a company that rents equipment? Im just not sure if I would have enough bars and bumpers to go around
3) Is it unethical to make a profit? I know its not, but I have a real heard time getting myself to feel comfortable with that,
The last competition I ran was a million headaches and at the end of the day, I had nothing to show for the trouble and time it took me away from running my facility other then an article in a local paper
I gave 100% of the proceeds to charity
How does this usually work?
thank You
Old 02-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:
Re: Running a competition advice

Promoting my first comp. Its fun but a lot of work. Elite type of comp in San Diego.. everyone here is invited if they are in San Diego visiting or living. I am lucky to be teaming up with my box. So our collective efforts will be good. We have friends in the x fit industry that we can barrow if needed. I have not heard about renting stuff. If its your first comp you can do a bit of strategic workouts with body weight, fun, run, stuff and use workout that have your all ready available workout gear or equipment.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I know a few competitions that have been hosted have borrowed equipment from other local friendly affiliates. Generally they mark it so it doesn't get lost.

I think nowadays, most of these competitions are being hold for a profit. Whether you want to pocket that or donate that is up to you though a lot of the gross often goes to prizes or cash awards for team and individual spots.

My buddy opted to not bother this year as it was such a pain in the butt. He ran a pretty big one and walked away with a decent haul last year though I do think he ended up hiring someone as an event coordinator so he didn't have to lose so much time on it in the months before.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
Diana Alt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGuire View Post
I am in the early stages of putting together an outdoor competition in the late spring early summer
I just had a few questions and wanted to get some feedback
1) Is there a software program anyone would recommend for tracking results?
2) Has anyone ever heard of a company that rents equipment? Im just not sure if I would have enough bars and bumpers to go around
3) Is it unethical to make a profit? I know its not, but I have a real heard time getting myself to feel comfortable with that,
The last competition I ran was a million headaches and at the end of the day, I had nothing to show for the trouble and time it took me away from running my facility other then an article in a local paper
I gave 100% of the proceeds to charity
How does this usually work?
thank You
Hi there,

I serve as one of the event directors for a local competition series - worked on 3 so far at this point and am getting started on the fourth. I started out just focused on judging, but have taken a larger role with operations and overall planning lately. Here is my two cents.

1) We have done our competitions through garage games so far. Their platform includes a real-time scoring system which works pretty well. We are looking at finding a different tool in the future as Garage Games doesn't provide a tons of value other than their website. I believe there is one called WODhub or something similar. As I research this myself, I am happy to share info.
2) I've never heard of a company that rents equipment specifically for events. We have usually addressed equipment needs by borrowing from other gyms, getting sponsors who will help with equipment, or buying equipment. We only buy equipment if it's something the host box can effectively use long-term. We also carefully plan our allowed number of registrants and athletes per heat with equipment in mind.
3) it is absolutely not unethical to make a profit, but I think it's getting harder to have a box-hosted competition that turns Significant profit because expectations are changing among athletes.

More thoughts....

*you need to decide what the primary purpose of your competition is. Is it to build community, to make money, to give an opportunity to novice athletes, or to let regionals caliber people show their stuff? It doesn't really matter what the answer is, but you do have to know this to plan an event that matches you objectives. Around here, the goal is more community based than profit based, but nobody wants to lose a bunch of money either. Charity events go over well...people are willing to pay a bit more registration fee if it's going to a good cause.
*i strongly encourage any box owner to get help from members! an event coordinator, or someone else to organize and execute the event so that they don't end up neglecting their business. And BE CAREFUL who you use. The box I belong to (which is different from the one where I help run events) hired a company to run their recent competition and the company did NOT do what was promised but they sure made a bunch of money. The box would have been better off to hire a couple of talented members to organize.
*the weakest areas for most local type comps I've been to are marketing (including sponsors and prizes) and judging. It takes significant planning for both of these things. For sponsors and marketing, you need to be working on things months in advance because sponsor companies have limited budgets for things like this. For judging, you have to have you judging director fully engaged before you write a single WOD. And you have to have a basic timeline before you do anything too. Our December competition was a dream from a judge and logistics standpoint because I took a lot of lessons learned from John Swanson and Will Harps, who help organize granite games.

I'm better on the logistics side than I am the marketing side, but if you want help figuring out how to make this work, you can send me a private message and I will share what I can.

D
Old 03-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Just chiming in because I'm interested in the progression of this post. I'd like to facilitate a competition as well, but I'm even more interested in the tech side of the house and what people use for scoring systems. I've competed locally and they used http://www.wodrocket.com/ (pretty sure it's WFS, it's blocked at my work network) and it worked really well (from a customer point of view), I've no clue how it works on the backend, but seems pretty straight forward.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #6
John McGuire

Profile:

Guys, that was awesome advice, I really appreciate it
My plan is to do something small scale in a few months then a monster event around November
Old 04-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
Andy Luten

Profile:

Do any of you who run events use a photography service for the events? How do you handle the media aspect of it?
Old 04-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #8
Adrian Grodzki

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Luten View Post
Do any of you who run events use a photography service for the events? How do you handle the media aspect of it?
I run the Powerfit Games Competition. We hire a videography team to film our competition and Online Open Workouts, and if the same team can provide a photography service we work through them. It is best to hire a person in charge of putting together a few individuals so they can coordinate how to move about the competition to get across the shots you want.

PowerfitGames.com
Old 04-20-2015, 06:28 AM   #9
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Take a look at competitioncorner.net WFS Seems right in line with your needs
Old 04-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
Ben Brabant

Profile:

Check out Breeze Scoring. Ty is a solid dude and his product is spot on.