CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-14-2015, 08:57 PM   #1
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:
Why No Powerlifting at the Games?

I dunno - maybe this is blasphemous to ask, but why do they not program more powerlifting events at the Regions and Games?

Crossfit athletes are supposed to be all-around athletes, but yet, I don't think Castro has ever made anything like a Back Squat Ladder, and I am positive that there has never been any kind of Bench Press Ladder. Why not?

Granted, there was an event involving Deadlifts at the Games a few years back - I can't remember if it was a ladder or what year it was - but every weight-based event since has been either a weightlifting discipline or a derivative of a WL discipline - like the Overhead Squat ladder.

Supposedly, the reasoning that events like the swims for the last four years' Games and cycling in the '12 Games (among other events) were to test CF athletes in ways that they don't train for. And everyone knows that "bro" exercises are not things that CF'ers train for. So, therefore, it would seem to me that something like a Bench Press Ladder would be perfect. So why not?

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to go to the local Globo in Carson City and recruit a bunch of meatheads to spot the CF athletes, so I can't see how cost would be a factor.

And it certainly wouldn't be any less "TV view-able" than the multiple rowing events in the last couple of Games.

So, why not?
Old 02-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Why No Powerlifting at the Games?

I would probably say boredom, judging and safety.

Would you want just one judge giving the squat an OK? What about spots for safety?

Whereas with the Oly lifts, the judging may be soft, but at the very least you have to get the bar overhead for a somewhat definitive finish.

A properly spotted max bench is hard for spectators to see. Also are they trying to avoid some of the circus that some powerlifiting events have become?
Old 02-15-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I would probably say boredom, judging and safety.

Would you want just one judge giving the squat an OK? What about spots for safety?

Whereas with the Oly lifts, the judging may be soft, but at the very least you have to get the bar overhead for a somewhat definitive finish.

A properly spotted max bench is hard for spectators to see. Also are they trying to avoid some of the circus that some powerlifiting events have become?
Thanks for the reply, but I respectfully disagree.

I don't see how the judging a Back Squat or Bench Press would be any more difficult than the Overhead Squat ladders at last year's Regionals, and it would be a lot easier to judge than some of the Pull-Up events, where we can all see that the "chin over the bar" requirement is judged tenuously at best.

Also, as I mentioned in my first post, watching a Bench Press Ladder would certainly be more exciting than the boring marathon-rowing events that they have done in the last few years.

I do agree that some of the upper-level Powerlifting events are getting ridiculous in many ways, but the CF Games are in no way similar to an Olympic Weightlifting event, so there is no reason to assume that the CF Games would end up being at all similar to a Powerlifting event.

Disclaimer: I am not a powerlifter and am certainly never going to be at Regional or Games level, so I have no stake in the argument. I just think it would be an aspect for Castro to pursue, as he looks for new-and-innovative CF events, and don't see why something like this hasn't been done yet.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

I would love to see this personally. I think the reason it won't be in the games is that it is harder to directly compare crossfit athletes to powerlifters this way. Yeah their max lifts are posted to most of their bio's but it would be different in a competitive environment. I don't think anyone who knows about crossfit would expect their lifts to compete against pure powerlifters (just as a pure powerlifter would not be able to compete with elite crossfitters) but outsiders could use it as an excuse to hate. An overhead squat max is different and does not translate 1 for 1.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #5
Ben Abbott

Profile:

There has been some talk recently about the lack of strength events during the Open and Regionals, with most being saved for the Games. I would suspect that this year or next we will see some Power or Olympic Weightlifting centric events being scheduled, similarly to how the swim events came about.

Most likely though you will see a deadlift or squat ladder or 3 attempt max and not the bench.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
Price Goosby

Profile:

I think they've been trying to get away from so many pure strength events to encompass a larger skill set. Last years games seemed to punish people who trained for strength expecting the continuation of events like the clean & jerk ladder.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:24 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

In 2014 the SacTownThrowdown actually had a gymnastics and powerlifting challenge. During the PL challenge, the squat and bench were tested with 2 attempts given and judges using PL commands. That part was supervised by Mark Bell and lifters from SuperTraining.

One of the concerns was that a few lifters still dumped during squat lifters even when they were told not to and spotters were on both sides. I don't see this as a big deal since with bumpers that gets rid of that.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like a Push Press off the rack or Clean and Press/PushPress.

I don't see it happening with Regionals and a Bench Press. Hard enough to get volunteers besides 3 extra volunteers for 5-10 lifters. Of course they could just floor press and that would be fine by me. I'm not sure anyone really wants to watch floor press though.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #8
Bryan Hood

Profile:

Anderson Back Squats from pins, bench from pins, etc. That way they could alleviate the spotters. I agree that there is not enough. I like the strength stuff and could care less how far they can throw a softball.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:57 AM   #9
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Hood View Post
Anderson Back Squats from pins, bench from pins, etc. That way they could alleviate the spotters. I agree that there is not enough. I like the strength stuff and could care less how far they can throw a softball.
I think this is a good idea once you figure out how to make the set up fair so someone short like me would still have to actually squat and not just do a partial.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #10
Michael Cook

Profile:

In the 2015 Crossfit Games, there was a deadlift ladder for masters.