CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-13-2015, 12:45 PM   #11
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Is Rich Froning the next Lance Armstrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper Mitchell View Post
You're comparing yourself, a 40 year old in "good shape" by normal standards to an elite athlete at the prime of his career in regards to muscle mass gained. Putting on 10 lbs of lean muscle tissue when you're already at the level he was at and in such a short time definitely raises red flags.
First, it doesn't say he gained 10 lbs of lean muscle, we don't know the composition of his weight gain. He could be carrying a little extra fat, he could have been retaining a little more water the day of weigh in. Second, it isn't unreasonable for an advanced trainee to put on 6 lbs of lean mass in a two year period. A total 10 lb increase is not that unfathomable, certainly nothing to be screaming steroids over.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #12
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Not saying he is and not saying he isn't. I would not be surprised either way. I have seen some impressive bodies in Crossfit. The past sports I have been in the ones who don't look real or seriously over developed have popped for some thing or another. If crossfit did olympic random testing the empire might take a hit. Its not fair for the ones that are doing it clean. I am sure that some sort of special sauce is being used. Me being 5' 11" and 175# would be happy to have that olympic testing.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:26 AM   #13
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Just an observation, not a statement, but if you think Rich is on PEDs because of his "musclular" body, then what the hell is Khalipa on?
Old 02-14-2015, 06:35 AM   #14
Tim Alford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Just an observation, not a statement, but if you think Rich is on PEDs because of his "musclular" body, then what the hell is Khalipa on?
Right???? Khalipa is one solid muscle! It sounds to me that the OP is judge, jury, and executioner on Rich Froning and his alleged drug use. Could he be? Sure. Do I think he is? No. Until I have solid proof, not just a discertation to stir up a ruckus, then I will take him at his word. If he does admit it someday or gets busted using PEDs then I will happily condemn him, but until then I'll assume he's innocent. Because this is 'merica!

Hope you all have a cardio filled valentine's day!
Old 02-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #15
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper Mitchell View Post
Putting on 10 lbs of lean muscle tissue when you're already at the level he was at and in such a short time definitely raises red flags.
Is two years a short time period?
Old 02-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #16
Jason A Smith

Profile:

To be clear, Lance Armstrong never (and I mean NEVER) failed a test ever and is likely one of the most tested athletes ever. He vehemently denied it for a long time and TBH all of the guys he was competing with were likely doing something similar.

I am with Vic on this. It would not surprise me either way whether he was or was not using, and you may never know if he actually hangs it up this year, though I have my doubts on that as well.

He trains a lot of volume from what most have seen and rarely do you see him eat much, which is way more of a red flag than anything.

The physique I really don't notice too much. The fact he was able to put 1,000,000 meters on a C2 in about 10 months blows my mind, that is a LOT of rowing. Someone on here should try doing just that and see how they feel in 10 months.

I could also really care less that they test, it is pretty much irrelevant as they just find better ways to beat tests.

There is really only one of two ways this plays out. He is either genetically superior to most everyone else in the sport, which is how he looks so fresh after fours days of punishment or.....
Old 02-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #17
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

I would also not accuse Rich of juicing, or of not juicing. But there are plenty of other sports with equal or less financial reward (collegiate lacrosse, rugby, even high school football and PRCA) that have problems with people using PED's. It would be naive of us to assume that the majority of the top competitors in CF aren't doing it these days, IMO.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:18 PM   #18
Price Goosby

Profile:

Most of the top guys have said in interviews they're positive that there are people doing it, it's a matter of actually catching them though. He gets regularly tested by a company that he makes a ton of money for so it's obviously far from unbiased, but we can only trust that they properly screen everyone equally.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #19
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Alford View Post
Right???? Khalipa is one solid muscle! It sounds to me that the OP is judge, jury, and executioner on Rich Froning and his alleged drug use. Could he be? Sure. Do I think he is? No. Until I have solid proof, not just a discertation to stir up a ruckus, then I will take him at his word. If he does admit it someday or gets busted using PEDs then I will happily condemn him, but until then I'll assume he's innocent. Because this is 'merica!

Hope you all have a cardio filled valentine's day!
I hope he's not using, but that doesn't make me think he's not. I think its a discussion that should be had, and because he's the pinnacle of the sport, if anyone is using there's a good chance he is.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #20
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Is two years a short time period?
For the fittest man in the world to put on 10 lbs of lean muscle, I say yes. Or that could be a testament to the methodology of CrossFit and his hard work.