CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #11
Richard Colon

Profile:
Re: Why are the games in Imperial not Metric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
Obviously Crossfit originated in the USA,
Nothing further needed to be said. You answered your own question.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:53 PM   #12
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
where did I mention NFL should be in metric?

NFL being in imperial makes sense...since it is ONLY played in a country that uses imperial measurement.

So other than Crossfit was invented in 'Murica there's no actual reason?
I think there is are games in London each year now. Do they say "Marshawn Lynch runs for 6.2 meters?" during those games?
Old 02-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #13
Richard Colon

Profile:

I should have put all of this in one post. I'm sorry. Now that I think on it though, you didn't seem to have much point or back-up to any of your original post, so I had to say more (again, realized after I double posted that I didn't finish my thoughts).

1. As I said, Crossfit originated in the USA.
2. The NFL has games outside the U.S. Other countries don't PLAY it but as spectators watch in London and perhaps it is televised there, I don't think they call it meters. They keep it as yards because it is an american game. (I may be completely wrong on this one).
3. You mention "as the Olympics do". Well, Crossfit and the games are NOT in the Olympics.
4. The Olympics take place as international events worldwide because many cities in the world host it. London, Beijing, Athens, Rio...etc. The Crossfit games is in the good ol' USA - every single year. Will it change, who knows, but for now why use a system of measurement that isn't used commonly in the USA for a clearly U.S. based sport, with appeal to U.S audiences first and foremost, with it dominated by Americans for the most part, etc..

Its all no biggy, no harm, no foul but..

you 1st start off with, I'm not trying to stir up **** then follow up with 'I was doing a lot of thinking and wondering'. All wondering, not a whole lot of thinking, which leads me to....

You kinda were only intending to start up ****.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #14
Struan Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
I think there is are games in London each year now. Do they say "Marshawn Lynch runs for 6.2 meters?" during those games?
No because he clearly runs further than that. At least 7 metres.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:38 AM   #15
Todd R Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
No because he clearly runs further than that. At least 7 metres.
...if they gave him the ball.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:26 PM   #16
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
I should have put all of this in one post. I'm sorry. Now that I think on it though, you didn't seem to have much point or back-up to any of your original post, so I had to say more (again, realized after I double posted that I didn't finish my thoughts).

2. The NFL has games outside the U.S. Other countries don't PLAY it but as spectators watch in London and perhaps it is televised there, I don't think they call it meters. They keep it as yards because it is an american game. (I may be completely wrong on this one).
3. You mention "as the Olympics do". Well, Crossfit and the games are NOT in the Olympics.
4. The Olympics take place as international events worldwide because many cities in the world host it. London, Beijing, Athens, Rio...etc. The Crossfit games is in the good ol' USA - every single year. Will it change, who knows, but for now why use a system of measurement that isn't used commonly in the USA for a clearly U.S. based sport, with appeal to U.S audiences first and foremost, with it dominated by Americans for the most part, etc..

you 1st start off with, I'm not trying to stir up **** then follow up with 'I was doing a lot of thinking and wondering'. All wondering, not a whole lot of thinking, which leads me to....

Also, despite originating in Scotland, the European Pro Golf Tour still measures tee-to-green distances in yards, not meters. So, it certainly isn't set in stone that "sports contested on a world stage" (as the OP states) are entirely metric.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:26 PM   #17
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Schultz View Post
Clearly, I'm no expert on the subject, but I don't see how pounds are any "less accurate" than kilograms. Can someone explain this to me?
Considering the standard is a 20kg bar. Putting a pair of 45s on a 20kg bar is not 135#. A 20kg bar loaded with a pair of 20kg plates is 60, which is kinda like 135 but not.

Aside from the obvious annoyance of a KG bar and LB plates, it really doesn't matter for CF I guess.

Accuracy may not be the right word but it sure is easier to work in KGs
Old 02-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #18
Rob Bousquet

Profile:

All lifting I have ever done (in 'Murica) was done in pounds. High school weight room to globo, now CrossFit. I also weigh myself in pounds too. Height measured in feet and inches. I'm guessing Glassman was the same. The one thing that CrossFit has done is pulled more 'Muricans towards Oly and power lifting and that is where the methods of measurement collide. We are in too deep to abandon one for the other but either is fine. I recall the open last year told us what was needed on the bar for kgs also. It is at the bottom of the page for the open wods.

Are the strongman peeps "wondering" why we don't measure in stones?
You do have me wondering how tall I am in Hands though!
Old 02-08-2015, 07:47 PM   #19
Bryan Hood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
Did the Seahawks throw the interception from the 1-Meter line?
I don't care who you are...that ^^^ was funny.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:43 AM   #20
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:

1. I also mentioned this same fact. BUT so did Powerlifting and powerlifting is METRIC, the plates and bars are in metric. Sure on websites and what not guys might say oh I hit a 661lbs deadlift or whatever but the equipment is still in kg.
2. If you go back and read my post I SPECIFICALLY mention that i'm talking about sports dealing with weights/barbells being metric.
3. The Olympics are an international event and so are the Crossfit Games hence my comparision.
4. My opinion is that the only reason the games have not been hosted anywhere but USA is CFHQ and the fact that they signed a multi year deal with the home depot centre. They can and I would say probably will at some point host it elsewhere in the future, but it could be somewhere else in the USA also.

I'm cool with the answer being its born in the USA so imperial it is, I just wanted to know if that's all there was to it or if there was more, just because Oly seems to be held in pretty high esteem in Crossfit so you would think they would follow suit.

I don't feel my question in any way shape or form was rude, and I let it be known that this might bother people but that wasn't my intention, so for you to go and say I didn't do much thinking and TELLING me what MY intentions were is ludicrous, unless you have some magic mind reading trick you can't tell me what was going through my head.

Thanks for all the responses, to be honest I had stopped checking this page awhile ago, and mods can just lock this page, due to nothing more needing to be said and not needing more bun fights on the internet.

Cheers