CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
Nada Hassan

Profile:
crossfit competition for syrian relief

Hey guys I would love to host a crossfit competition to raise money and awareness for the syrian cause. I want to know how I could go about this and what I should do ? I'm on my box's competitive team and have a good relationship with the owners and think they would be able to provide the gym on sunday after the classes at about 1 pm ? What do u guys think; any advice and even resources r welcome
Old 01-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #2
Nada Hassan

Profile:
Re: crossfit competition for syrian relief

No one ?
Old 01-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #3
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get the support from your gym. It's way too political and the gym can only lose out.

Would your gym owners be happy if they lost 1 or more members for good who are pro Israel?
Old 01-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #4
Nada Hassan

Profile:

True I haven't thought about that. But it really has nothing to do with my gym it's just like renting their place but I guess I might have to find another location. I have a place I could use its huge and all but the problem is about the equipment. Have no idea where I could get those except if I were to host it at my box. Any thoughts?
Old 01-08-2015, 07:07 AM   #5
Mario Beltran

Profile:

I don't know. But the situation in Syria doesn't really have to do anything with Israel directly as far as I know. Yeah, from time to time Israel fires a bomb or two over the border, but I really don't see why Israel would have anything against someone raising money to aid the general syrian population.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Beltran View Post
I don't know. But the situation in Syria doesn't really have to do anything with Israel directly as far as I know. Yeah, from time to time Israel fires a bomb or two over the border, but I really don't see why Israel would have anything against someone raising money to aid the general syrian population.
yeah i was about to say that. i don't see any pro israel people having an issue with this. now if you were holding a free Palestine relief or something like that, yes that would be an issue.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
Camille Lore

Profile:

As long as this discussion stays on the topic of logistics and holding a competition, that's cool. If we start wandering off into politics, we'll have to close the discussion.

Thanks.

For zoning related questions, please email me at Camille at CrossFit.com
Old 01-10-2015, 07:32 AM   #8
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Well first thing I would do is approach the owners of the box and layout your thoughts and ideas on the competition. If they buy into it great but if not you would have to pursue a different area to host it

As it has been stated some fund raising events will be difficult for an owner to host unless they feel the same about it or are not worried about upsetting current members or possible members (or the community).

As far as hosting the competition you will need to come up with volunteers,judges, often prizes (can be donated) and vendors (if possible).

Determining the different "groups" who will be competing will determine how many volunteers and judges you will need as well as how long this will run. If it is just a Rx/scaled competition and you have a men's and women's category you now have 4 different groups. Depending on how many possible athletes you allow per division will also determine how many heats.

The space of the box and equipment plays a factor in the workout/WODs you can do.

Let's say you have 50 people in each division with a max of 10 people per heat. You now have 20 heats which will require 10 judges and 1-2 head judges per heat. You will also want extra judges to swap out during those heats as people get tired. 20 judges would be ideal but 15 could swing it. You will need a scoring team and office for that as well as other volunteers to help change the equipment between heats.

If your first WOD was a 6 minute amrap and you had this thing down to an art you could count 8-9 minutes for each heat (1 min at call, 6 min comp, 2 mins get signed paperwork, and reset for next heat). It is tight but possible (have helped with many competitions, it is very quick and tight)

So 20 x 9 = 180 minutes for the first Wod. 3 hours for one workout. The longer the workout and the more stuff needed per workout increases the time per WOD which makes a longer day.

This is why many competitions are all day events.

There are so many other logistical needs that have to be thought of. Bathrooms, athlete area, safety of spectators watching WODs, parking, etc.

If you approach the owners have some of this laid out.

Have an idea of how long it will take and how many volunteers / workers you would need as well as the WODs needed.

Sometimes it is just easier to have a Saturday WOD with people donating $$ to a cause. Run a team thing that is fast, fun and 30-60 mins and you are done. It may not bring in as much $$ but it serves as a quick introduction to the cause and need but without as much work as a full blown competition.