CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
Nic Nakis

Profile:
Re: Gettting ready for my first O-lifting meet

More good advice guys, thanks. I'm working with a coach who has been in the sport for 56 years, and his dad was a lifter and coach before him. He'll be there to count my reps and keep me on track with weights when I warm up.

I tested 1RM a couple weeks ago and got 82kg on the Clean, 62kg on the Snatch. Not very good compared to what I lifted in college, but that's where I'm at. Here's my plan:

Snatch
Warmup up to 55kg
Attempt 1 60kg
Attempt 2 62kg
Attempt 3 65kg

Clean & Jerk
Warmup up to 75kg
Attempt 1 80kg
Attempt 2 82kg
Attempt 3 85kg
Old 12-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
Scott Simmonds

Profile:

I know I am not alone in wanting to know how this turns out for you.

Please post results plus the stories behind the results.

Best of Luck
Scott
Old 12-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
Struan Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Nakis View Post
More good advice guys, thanks. I'm working with a coach who has been in the sport for 56 years, and his dad was a lifter and coach before him. He'll be there to count my reps and keep me on track with weights when I warm up.

I tested 1RM a couple weeks ago and got 82kg on the Clean, 62kg on the Snatch. Not very good compared to what I lifted in college, but that's where I'm at. Here's my plan:

Snatch
Warmup up to 55kg
Attempt 1 60kg
Attempt 2 62kg
Attempt 3 65kg

Clean & Jerk
Warmup up to 75kg
Attempt 1 80kg
Attempt 2 82kg
Attempt 3 85kg
If your current 1RMs are 62/82, I would go 53/58/63 in the snatch, then 75/80/then whatever you want. It's your first competition, get numbers on the board. Go conservative on your openers. Try to go 6/6. That's always impressive.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #14
Nic Nakis

Profile:

Yeah, I was thinking that might be too much to try for a PR on the platform.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:14 AM   #15
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Basically you want to hit your first two lifts for your total number as that allows you to go big on the third.

I think you might want to set your openers when you sign in at 53/75 as that will allow you to adjust it just in case. I don't think you should screw with bumping your lifts per lift on your first meet and that monkey business.

I'd also take a smaller jump on the Sn instead of 58 to 63. More like 60 to 63. Open up with 55. 75-80 sounds good.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #16
Nic Nakis

Profile:

The meet was today. A really positive and fun event in honor of Chris Dariotis Sr., who was a major proponent of the sport in his day. He taught his son Chris Jr. to lift at age 9. Chris Dariotis Jr. is now 65, still representing the USA in Masters competitions around the world, and coaching lifters like me.

Things started out great for me, then went south in the second half. I got all three snatch attempts and made a snatch PR, but didn't fare so well on the Clean & Jerk. I made my first lift, but my second jerk smacked me in the chin, making me bite my lip. Then on the 3rd one, I was kind of scared of the bar and overcompensated in a way that made me miss that jerk too.

I followed the advice from a lot of you on here, lowering my starting attempts. That worked out fine for the snatch, but the situation with the clean and jerk was just one of those things that you can't predict. I never hit my chin in practice, but there I was nervous with a crowd of people watching, I was getting tired and sore, and sometimes **** happens.

This is why everyone who wants to practice the Olympic lifts should sign-up for a competition. It's totally unlike training. This is a demonstration of your abilities at a precise moment in time at which you need to be your very best. Having done that, and paid close attention to the technique of the other lifters, I'm going to take Olympic lifting a lot more seriously from now on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	63kg Snatch smaller.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	13699
Old 01-03-2015, 09:08 PM   #17
Scott Simmonds

Profile:

Congratulations. A PR in competition is quite an accomplishment I think.

Rhetorical questions... What did you learn about your mental preparation, the equipment you brought with you, your nutrition during the meet? What do you wish you had done - or what will you do differently next time? What did you see other competitors doing that now makes sense as part of pre-match preparation?
Old 01-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #18
Nic Nakis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simmonds View Post
Rhetorical questions... What did you learn about your mental preparation, the equipment you brought with you, your nutrition during the meet? What do you wish you had done - or what will you do differently next time? What did you see other competitors doing that now makes sense as part of pre-match preparation?
Mental preparation - There's a lot to remember amidst tons of distractions. Next time, I'll have to stay more focused on a few important cues. I need to visualize exactly what it will look like to get that flawless lift every time.

Equipment - I need to get a resistance band for my gym bag, so I don't run around the place searching for one when I want to do my favorite stretches.

Nutrition - I ate really poorly the few days running up to the competition. That probably contributed to some inflammation, soreness, and lack of energy on the day of. My nutrition during the competition was great though.

Do differently - This time I took two rest days right before the competition, but I traveled to Canada with my wife those days and that meant many hours of driving. Next time, I'll try not to be so busy in the days leading up to a competition. I'll also make time to do some more lifting during the week prior, so it's all fresh in my mind. I also think I did too many lifts in the warmup room and wore myself out a bit by the time it came to clean and jerks.

What others were doing - In the warmup room, I saw the other guys lifting very low weight, but trying to be fast and precise. That makes sense now. The guys who lifted best also executed the lifts very quickly.