CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
Nic Nakis

Profile:
Gettting ready for my first O-lifting meet

I registered for the 2015 Dariotis Memorial Weightlifting Championships at Thrush Sports Performance Center (at Imperial CrossFit) in Kent, WA.

This thing goes down on January 3rd, 2015. It will be my first Olympic Weightlifting competition, so it's pretty exciting.

I decided to test my lifts today and PRed my Clean by 10 lbs. and my Snatch by 20 lbs. These aren't lifte time PRs, just current PRs. Feels like I'm off to a good start.

I'd appreciate advice from anyone who's done an Oly meet before.

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2014, 02:40 AM   #2
Marshall Flagg

Profile:
Re: Gettting ready for my first O-lifting meet

Think in kilos. There are plenty of articles about first meets-which I assume you have read. Be conservative for your openers. Seriously, it is not much fun missing your first two attempts. Training PRs don't mean squat on the platform. Numbers you can hit consistently in training matter. In a perfect world you will have PR attempts but you gotta get there first. Don't blow yourself up in the warmup room.

Most importantly, have fun. Going 6 for 6, regardless of your total is great.

I absolutely love stepping on the big platform.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
Nic Nakis

Profile:

Thanks Marshall!

I will...

Think in kilos
Open with numbers I know I can hit
Make the 3rd lift a PR attempt
Warm up, not work out
Have a good time
Old 12-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Michael Cook

Profile:

Plan your warm up attempts and competition attempts in kilos so you don't have to do all sorts of math during the competition.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
Brett Valego

Profile:

what everyone else has said! yes! congrats/good luck!

open very conservatively, your adrenaline will be pumping! the idea is usually to open with a lift about 92% of your max. first meet, make sure it's a weight you can do for a triple! you should be ok. definitely try to go 6 for 6 on your first meet. it makes a load of difference in confidence and for future meets.

definitely find someone to count attempts for you so you can time your warm ups accordingly. otherwise you might be warming up and have 2 or 3 warm ups left and then they call your name, you won't be prepared.

good luck! let us know how it goes
Old 12-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
Keith Miller

Profile:

Ditto what everyone else said.

But also, try and find a coach there at the meet who'll help you count attempts. The biggest thing I see at meets is people who start warming up right after weigh-ins when they should've waited at least an hour and a half. Don't be that guy. After weighing in, go get something to eat, then watch for the start list and/or cards to find out where you're at in the session. Then find a lifter/coach who can help you count attempts till your opener.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Valego View Post

definitely find someone to count attempts for you so you can time your warm ups accordingly. otherwise you might be warming up and have 2 or 3 warm ups left and then they call your name, you won't be prepared.
I count my own attempts most of the time. It sucks. I tend to be pretty quiet and do my thing but people are awesome at meets and someone will help if you ask. It is nice to have no worries except chilling and lifting when coach says take 70 or whatever. Last meet I had to make a huge jump from warm ups to my opener because the weights jumped fast. I knew it would happen, it just happened faster than I thought. I made the lift. But a guy said to me as I was walking out to lift "Keep pulling" which really is the best advice once you are up there.

Thinking about an opening number based on percentages can be dicey for a newer or inconsistent lifter but it is a good starting point I guess. The mental game is the fun part. Ain't much to do on the platform except to keep pulling and punch up hard.

Now is the time to start treating training like a meet. Figure out your warm ups and how long it takes. Put a timer on yourself. Lift when you aren't ready. Face the other direction once in a while. Again, tons of stuff out there about the process.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
Scott Simmonds

Profile:

Nic, Please report back here on what you did and how it all worked out. What you did right and what you did wrong - what you will do differently next time.

Your comments here will be read with great interest after your first meet.

Can you find a friend to join you as your water-boy? I've filled that role for several athletes in our Box. I enjoy being a part of the action and it allows the athlete to focus on the meet.

Best of luck.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #9
Philipp Lendner

Profile:

After the weigh-in you will have to declare your opening weights. However, these numbers are not final, you can still change them as long as the weight on the barbell is not higher than the weight you want to have. Because of that, be even more conservative for the weights you name here; it is always possible to go up, but it can be impossible to go down. During your warmup you will feel what you can go for.
My rule of thumb is that I will always declare at least 10 kg less than what I really want to start out.

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Nic,

these are all WFS

http://media.wix.com/ugd/672005_50d2...780a913e50.pdf WL meet rules

http://media.wix.com/ugd/672005_8963...bc496b55d9.pdf Ursula (TexasBarbell) method of counting attempts

http://wlforums.com/forums/showthrea...ll=1#post11271 Another guide on warming up

http://www.pendlay.com/Tapering-for-...ner_df_78.html Glenn Pendlay's 1 week method for a Beginner doing a competition taper.

http://www.pendlay.com/Tapering-for-...ate_df_82.html Glenn's Intermediate lifter taper 2 weeks.

Personally, I don't like pulls warming up. Maybe very very early if you want. Not a fan of powers either, but earlier in the warmup they can be alright.

Some people like to take lighter weights while waiting in case they have to wait to stay warm. I really screwed up last meet by taking some clean pulls while waiting. In retrospect it was really a bad decision but I didn't want the weight to feel so heavy on the platform (and guess what, it did though I wasn't really prepared to lift anything more than my opener).

If it's your first meet, don't worry about bumping your attempts or any nonsense like that (like me...pretty sure they wanted to stab me with the way I would wait out that 25 seconds before doing that (so they would have to reload the bar and give me that one minute to buy time.)