CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #21
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: Reebok only apparel at Crossfit Games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
Everybody is forgetting the letter of the rule...

"Athletes must comply with CrossFit’s uniform requirements and only official competition apparel, or apparel or items expressly
pre-approved
by CrossFit, Inc., shall be permitted. Athletes shall not wear, use or display any apparel, equipment, accessories,
symbols, art, graphics or other items not expressly approved in advance by CrossFit, Inc., including, without limitation, headwear,
apparel, tape, sunglasses, water bottles, stickers, logos and body or head tattoos, or art (temporary or permanent)."
Dakota, while the wording was identical to previous years, competitors were still allowed to wear their choice of footwear.

Quote:
In my own professional sporting career, this is a very common rule. Contributing sponsors reserve the right to control the competitive advertising exposure. Maybe Reebok stands up on their one remaining sport and rejects everybody else's shoes, but in general, there's no reason for a sponsor to do so. BUT, that doesn't make them evil for making someone jump through a few hoops rather than simply complying and converting over to their shoes.
Again, not the practice for NBA, MLB, NHL, NHL, or any other professional sport that I am aware. In your collegiate wrestling career you were forced to wear the brand that had a contract with your college. Even then in the footwear industry we have heard and seen where these collegiate athletes use black tape over a logo of a shoe that is not from said vendor, happened quite often at Texas A&M before they moved to the SEC and started wining.

Quote:
Considering the "uniform provided" provisions, we don't know that the athletes would only get access to the shoes the morning they're required to wear them. For all we know, they could gain access to the shoes the day after they qualify by simply calling up Reebok and asking for them.
They are provided with the shoes/uniforms at the start of the week when they arrive at the site. This isn't to say that they are not allowed to wear older Reeboks that they already own. For those that do not have any to wear they will be forced to run a distance with brand new shoes, as 2 days is not enough to break in a pair properly.

Quote:
For what it's worth, based on my own experience, I'd be incredibly surprised if Games level competitors weren't able to go to Reebok and request shoes at any time and get them, whether they're officially sponsored or not. When I was competing at a national level, whether you were sponsored or not, you were always around the big name sponsors' folks, it's a small society, and they all seemed to have budgets specifically meant for that type of thing. Getting sporadic "hand-outs" of different gear wasn't ever difficult, guys just never think to ask. Assuming the caveat that you were not sponsored by one of their competitors when you asked for the handout, of course, but on the other hand, I was often approached by competitors to my own sponsors to try their gear and "give feedback," which was none-too-discretely meant to entice us to switch over to their side.
While I can see that in your sport of choice, I will say that Crossfit as a sport is too undeveloped for this to be as common as you make it seem. Many first time competitors in the sport at the Games each year will keep this from being too common at this point. There are those that do have these privileges at the current time but it's still an oddity as opposed to the norm.

Quote:
Ultimately, it's nothing new, nothing uncommon, it's not iron-clad, and it's not unreasonably enforced.
It is for the sport of Crossfit, and it's is for a "professional sport" as I listed above.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #22
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

All of the 550 athletes are in the same boat. Its is hard to find Reebok cleats.. for the drag or pull events on the turf. Hope they provide the following shoes
1) weight lifting shoes
2) Nano 4.0's
3) Running shoes
4) cleats

That would be cool of them since they are demanding people to wear them. I don't think its un reasonable condition.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #23
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J McQuaide View Post
All of the 550 athletes are in the same boat. Its is hard to find Reebok cleats.. for the drag or pull events on the turf. Hope they provide the following shoes
1) weight lifting shoes
2) Nano 4.0's
3) Running shoes
4) cleats

That would be cool of them since they are demanding people to wear them. I don't think its un reasonable condition.
The list is floating out there of what will be in every athlete's "goody bag".
Old 07-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #24
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Name one other professional sport where athletes are not allowed to wear what brand of footwear they want?

So now it's the fittest on earth, for that weekend, that is willing to wear Reebok gear.
Beach Volleyball

Yes ! I won the Internet.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #25
Clint Harris

Profile:

Didn't they disallow the use of cleats in that dog-team sled drag event in the Team's last year ?
So there's no guarantee that they'll allow cleats anyway. Another stupid possibility but not unprecedented.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #26
Bryan Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
Another thing is that I think that letting this known only a few weeks before the games is a farce. And BTW, this was not the case last year because there were plenty of athletes that used different shoes.
Snir, IIRC some athletes had to tape over emblems on their gloves etc during the rope climb event becasue they weren't Reebok. Also, I guess this is the reason why certain athletes (Rich & Ben Smith) went to doing all lifts in Nanos vice Oly shoes. In one of the Youtube video Q&A's from his affiliate page Rich was asked about why he quit using oly shoes and he said something to the effect of, "Might as well get used to how its going to be at the Games." IMO it's BS also...
Old 07-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #27
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Slowly losing respect for the games/HQ when things like this keep happening.

Stuff like this happens in pretty much NO other sport.

Powerlifting has rules as to what can be used and they usually entail details on specs/measurements, sometimes for some things they have only certain approved logos (example logos on belts) but to limit what your competitors can wear and make it so they have to use ONLY X shoe I think is pretty low.

Like someone else has said my feet aren't the same as so and so's feet and so on and so forth. That's part of why there are so many brands. I personally don't like the xfit lifter shoes, and found the adidas to narrow so i'm in Nikes.

I just feel that by making a bunch of pieces of equipment "illegal" you could very well be handicapping some athletes.

Saying oh well they get all the stuff they need for free from RBK is a lame point, in that if you give someone something for free but it totally doesn't jive with their form or whatever and renders their performance lower than usual.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #28
Dakota Base

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Again, not the practice for NBA, MLB, NHL, NHL, or any other professional sport that I am aware.
Do you honestly think that major league team sports are analogous to Crossfit? You're clearly omitting a HUGE cross section of professional sports that operate on a much more similar method (individual, open association sports).

Just because you're not aware of them, that doesn't make it not common in professional sport. The competing sponsor approval request system was present in my semi-pro powerlifting experience, my professional rodeo experience in all 3 professional sanctioning associations, professional supercross racing, and MMA fighting. I'm also finding the same experience with some of my training colleagues in professional running/triathlon.

Whether the letter of the ruling says you can't wear nonbranded gear, or says you can't wear competing branded gear, that's individualized for the given sports.

For what it's worth, I also don't buy that a brand new shoe really hurts you in a 3mi run, even if it's not ideal for your foot. Reebok can't enforce that athletes wear a shoe that wouldn't accommodate to an existing physical condition if one were revealed (i.e. if someone has a supinating gait and needs a guidance shoe to prevent ITB flare ups). But they can provide a cross section of shoes that would suit all of the athlete safely for 3miles. You know how runners break in running shoes, right? We run in them. It's not uncommon for me to put 5-10miles on a shoe the first time it comes out of the box. It's really not that hard to fit someone's foot for a 3mile event. As long as there is a large drop shoe and a low drop shoe available and accommodations are made for insoles in terms of gait type, any runner will survive for 3 miles without significantly decreased performance or increased rate of injury. Anyone with a known injury or propensity for injury without special shoes would have to be granted a waiver, otherwise the association sets itself up for liability and negligence if they force the shoes on the athlete.

The lifting shoes would be more of a challenge, in my opinion, than the running shoes.

The facts remain:

1) The Games athletes have the opportunity to have their equipment approved for use. Whether it DOES get approved or not is irrelevant, they have the opportunity to ask, so it's their own fault if they don't. If they reject EVERY submission, then sure, we'll likely see formal citations to get that changed. Nobody has made any comment as to whether a given shoe request has been made and rejected - for all we know, nobody has ever asked, even though the rules spell out that it CAN be asked.

2) The Games athletes are made aware long before the event that they'll be required to wear Reebok gear. Period. Everyone in the NFL has to wear approved pads and helmets, everyone in crossfit has to wear approved footwear. If someone chooses to train all year in a different shoe, then shows up on Games Day 1 and is surprised that they can't wear their Fastlifts, that's their own fault too.

If this were a rule change, sure, fair right to complain. But it's not. The rule was there, it was unreasonable of athletes to expect the association to look the other way, and it's unreasonable of athletes to get ****ed about it now that they've stopped.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #29
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Wilson View Post
Snir, IIRC some athletes had to tape over emblems on their gloves etc during the rope climb event becasue they weren't Reebok. Also, I guess this is the reason why certain athletes (Rich & Ben Smith) went to doing all lifts in Nanos vice Oly shoes. In one of the Youtube video Q&A's from his affiliate page Rich was asked about why he quit using oly shoes and he said something to the effect of, "Might as well get used to how its going to be at the Games." IMO it's BS also...
if thats the case, just keep it that way. let them use whatever shoe they want and just make them tape over the logo.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #30
Jason Fischer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
1) The Games athletes have the opportunity to have their equipment approved for use. Whether it DOES get approved or not is irrelevant, they have the opportunity to ask, so it's their own fault if they don't. If they reject EVERY submission, then sure, we'll likely see formal citations to get that changed. Nobody has made any comment as to whether a given shoe request has been made and rejected - for all we know, nobody has ever asked, even though the rules spell out that it CAN be asked.

2) The Games athletes are made aware long before the event that they'll be required to wear Reebok gear. Period. Everyone in the NFL has to wear approved pads and helmets, everyone in crossfit has to wear approved footwear. If someone chooses to train all year in a different shoe, then shows up on Games Day 1 and is surprised that they can't wear their Fastlifts, that's their own fault too.
1. Agreed. No one has specifically mentioned whether their shoe of choice has been denied approval.

2. Like you mentioned earlier, I don't think you can compare this to the NFL. There are multiple brands that manufacture helmets and pads. Some are used more than others, but there are options and people aren't limited to a specific brand of shoe/pad/helmet.