CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:
Re: Reebok only apparel at Crossfit Games?

I keep waiting for the "gotcha!" here. It is just too ludicrous to believe. Reebok is making zillions off CF, even with all the other brands out there. Why do they need to do this? How does HQ allow a SPONSOR to dictate a rule of the sport? HQ should use their power here, Reebok needs THEM, not vice versa. HQ could tell Reebok to go pound, and any other major brand would be shoving babies and grandmothers aside to take over the sponsorship. "Nike Crossfit Games," anyone?
Old 07-14-2014, 07:34 AM   #12
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Stupid stupid stupid rule.

- Mark
Old 07-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #13
Andrew Scheid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer Blankenship View Post
I am fairly certain it has been this way since Reebok got involved. This is nothing new, NBA, NFL, MLB fine players all the time for wearing different shoes or colors because they have exclusive contracts with manufacturers like NIKE and Adidas, the athletes even though possibly sponsored by one company have to wear the other shoes.
This is not true. Adidas is the official clothing sponsor of the NBA, but players get mega deals from Nike and Reebok. Reebok used to sponsor the NFL clothing (it's now Nike), but players still rocked Adidas cleats. Players are allowed to wear whatever brand they want, but are fined if the shoe doesn't conform to color and styling regulations (No Fun League).

But those leagues are big enough to not have to suck on the sponsor teet in order to survive.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #14
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

How long is the Reebok sponsorship deal? 5 years? I think this is the 4th year of the deal.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #15
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Railsback View Post
How long is the Reebok sponsorship deal? 5 years? I think this is the 4th year of the deal.
10 years I believe. Not saying there is not an opt out, but why would they? Nike will not put as much emphasis on the apparel or footwear as RBK has. This has been about the only thing keeping RBK from going under.

And as said above, NO other league dictates what kind of footwear is to be worn despite the uniform/apparel contracts with the league.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #16
Carlos Mendoza

Profile:

There is a whole youtube video on Crossfit's page about how the athletes get provided with everything needed to compete for that weekend. I also remember watching an old youtube video and they asked Rich Fronning to flip a bandana he was wearing inside out because it was not Reebok brand.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #17
Jason Fischer

Profile:

I totally understand shirts/shorts, but shoes are definitely a pretty personal thing. In years past there haven't been issues with athletes wearing Adidas, Nike, Pendlay, etc. lifting shoes...

Also, how does that work with someone like Dan Bailey, who is sponsored by Inov8, or even Froning who has been wearing Oakley shorts/glasses for the past couple of years?

Are they finally cracking down or is this just the same discussion that takes place every year before the games?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #18
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Mendoza View Post
There is a whole youtube video on Crossfit's page about how the athletes get provided with everything needed to compete for that weekend.
Go run 3 miles in brand spanking new shoes that are not broken in one bit. Same goes for olympic lifting shoes. I don't care that they provide them with everything they need. It's just not right to force someone to wear brand new shoes like that in an athletic competition. No other sport does this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Fischer View Post
Are they finally cracking down or is this just the same discussion that takes place every year before the games?
Yes, cracking down finally.

And don't forget Bridges is sponsored by Nike.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #19
Dakota Base

Profile:

Everybody is forgetting the letter of the rule...

"Athletes must comply with CrossFit’s uniform requirements and only official competition apparel, or apparel or items expressly
pre-approved
by CrossFit, Inc., shall be permitted. Athletes shall not wear, use or display any apparel, equipment, accessories,
symbols, art, graphics or other items not expressly approved in advance by CrossFit, Inc., including, without limitation, headwear,
apparel, tape, sunglasses, water bottles, stickers, logos and body or head tattoos, or art (temporary or permanent)."

In my own professional sporting career, this is a very common rule. Contributing sponsors reserve the right to control the competitive advertising exposure. Maybe Reebok stands up on their one remaining sport and rejects everybody else's shoes, but in general, there's no reason for a sponsor to do so. BUT, that doesn't make them evil for making someone jump through a few hoops rather than simply complying and converting over to their shoes.

The sports and sanctioning bodies I've competed in ALL have had sponsorship or "patch" or "badge approval" programs. You have to submit the sponsor's info, the proposed graphics, and the intended use or display method. Sometimes you get rejected, sometimes you don't, sometimes they fiddle-fart around and delay your decision past the point of relevancy - i.e. taking 6months to review, then releasing your sponsor for approval AFTER the event. Whether you're sponsored, or just want to wear the shoes, the athletes have the right to request that approval.

Considering the "uniform provided" provisions, we don't know that the athletes would only get access to the shoes the morning they're required to wear them. For all we know, they could gain access to the shoes the day after they qualify by simply calling up Reebok and asking for them. Dollars to donuts, I'd bet they've been contacted by Reebok and have been offered the gear long before they even made it through Regionals - at least for any repeat competitors.

Then beyond all of that - the rulebook is readily available online. The athletes know what they have to wear when they compete. They could have submitted an approval request LONG in advance, or they could have gone out and bought the shoes they're required to wear.

For what it's worth, based on my own experience, I'd be incredibly surprised if Games level competitors weren't able to go to Reebok and request shoes at any time and get them, whether they're officially sponsored or not. When I was competing at a national level, whether you were sponsored or not, you were always around the big name sponsors' folks, it's a small society, and they all seemed to have budgets specifically meant for that type of thing. Getting sporadic "hand-outs" of different gear wasn't ever difficult, guys just never think to ask. Assuming the caveat that you were not sponsored by one of their competitors when you asked for the handout, of course, but on the other hand, I was often approached by competitors to my own sponsors to try their gear and "give feedback," which was none-too-discretely meant to entice us to switch over to their side.

Ultimately, it's nothing new, nothing uncommon, it's not iron-clad, and it's not unreasonably enforced.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #20
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Given the fact it is the "Reebok Crossfit Games" you know they would do something like this.

Wonder what the take is on knee sleeves, belts, wrist wraps and sunglasses or for that matter K-tape.

I wear a pair of Nano 3.0's to train in but have Adidas lifters. It took me about a month to adjust to my Adidas shoes. Personally knowing what you know about the Games and sponsorship you would be wise to have at least invested in Reebok lifters and Nanos. I know from watching video of Lucas Parker that he has a pair and wears them even though he usually lifts in Nike or Adidas lifters.

You at least have a week or two to break in some new kicks I guess. So much for watching Alex Netty crush it in Air Jordan's.....