CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #1
Bryan Selent

Profile:
Reebok only apparel at Crossfit Games?

From Lauren Fishers instagram http://instagram.com/ltfisher12 (Work Safe)

"Five months of PR's in my Nike Romaleo's... Why would I change now? I wish I could take these to Carson with me."

In reading the comments, it seems that athletes in the games are not allowed to wear any other shoes but Reeboks (can anyone clarify?) which seems to have gotten many people upset.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are that it is the REEBOK Crossfit Games, therefore, if one wants to compete, then they follow the rules set forth by the company sponsoring it. If one isn't happy with the rules, then don't compete.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
Bryan Selent

Profile:
Re: Reebok only apparel at Crossfit Games?

From the rulebook online

"Athletes must comply with CrossFit’s uniform requirements and only official competition apparel, or apparel or items expressly
pre-approved by CrossFit, Inc., shall be permitted. Athletes shall not wear, use or display any apparel, equipment, accessories,
symbols, art, graphics or other items not expressly approved in advance by CrossFit, Inc., including, without limitation, headwear,
apparel, tape, sunglasses, water bottles, stickers, logos and body or head tattoos, or art (temporary or permanent)."
Old 07-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #3
Snir Golan

Profile:

I think that it is a ridiculous rule and that HQ should have put their foot down and fight it. I understand the uniform being Reebok and pretty much everything else being Reebok but not the shoes. Unlike shorts and shirts, shoes are a VERY individual thing and can have direct affect on the performance of the athelete. Not everybody likes the super wide Nanos and not everyone likes the Lifters.

Another thing is that I think that letting this known only a few weeks before the games is a farce. If an athlete has been using a different shoe during his entire training, changing and getting used to a new shoe now is just asking for trouble. When I first moved from Nike free to the Nano I had trouble with shin splints that took a few weeks to recover from.

And BTW, this was not the case last year because there were plenty of athletes that used different shoes.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
Matt Young

Profile:

I don't like it. Basically it has devolved to a Reebok pageant.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
Andrew Daggon

Profile:

It might be a huge issue with a 3 mile run being one of the first events. You can't just use brand new shoes for longer distance runs, especially if they aren't right for your feet/ not used to them
Old 07-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
Michael Cook

Profile:

I don't like it. I can understand that Reebok has probably paid big money to be the exclusive apparel sponser, so I agree that athletes shouldn't be able to promote other brands with their own headbands, wristbands, socks, temporary tattoos, etc.

But footwear is a very individual thing. Athletes should be able to use the footwear of their own choosing.

I think they can compromise by allowing athletes to tape over logos on shoes.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:41 AM   #7
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post
I think they can compromise by allowing athletes to tape over logos on shoes.
I agree with this. I love my nano's but i fully realize theyre not for everyone. I also dont wear them for runs over 400 or 800 meters. I like my nike 5.0s for that.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:31 AM   #8
Springer Blankenship

Profile:

I am fairly certain it has been this way since Reebok got involved. This is nothing new, NBA, NFL, MLB fine players all the time for wearing different shoes or colors because they have exclusive contracts with manufacturers like NIKE and Adidas, the athletes even though possibly sponsored by one company have to wear the other shoes.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:26 AM   #9
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer Blankenship View Post
I am fairly certain it has been this way since Reebok got involved. This is nothing new, NBA, NFL, MLB fine players all the time for wearing different shoes or colors because they have exclusive contracts with manufacturers like NIKE and Adidas, the athletes even though possibly sponsored by one company have to wear the other shoes.
No it hasn't been this way before. In previous years the athletes wore Reebok clothing but could wear the shoes of their choice. Many athletes wore Risto, Nike or Addias for some of the events.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #10
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Name one other professional sport where athletes are not allowed to wear what brand of footwear they want?

So now it's the fittest on earth, for that weekend, that is willing to wear Reebok gear.