CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
Ryan Payne

Profile:
I have been eating essentially the same diet for the past 7 years and have always been lean, rarely get sick and make fun of people who take the newspaper into the toilet with them (30 seconds max, sorry for the candor.)
But now I am wondering if I have it right given what I have read online here. What's so wrong with grains? How do you make up the calories without them?
Here's the diet:
Breakfast: 4 egg whites, 1 yolk, steamed spinach, cup of oatmeal with soy milk, glass of orange juice.
Lunch/Dinner: chicken or fish, 1 cup of brown rice or corn, vegetables (varies, but typically broccoli, carrots, asparagus, green beans or bell peppers)
Snacks: whey protein, yogurts, almonds, tea.

People think I am nuts because I eat the same foods all the time. To me, it seems balanced: a protein source, a complex carb and a vegetable at every meal. Simple enough. So what's wrong with this?
Old 02-12-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
Peter Queen

Profile:
Hello Ryan. I am not a nutritionist but I have always heard that brown rice was better for you than white rice simply because brown rice does not have the starch content as white rice. As far as eating the same foods all the time, I do not know if that is necessarilly a bad thing depending on what you are trying to achieve. I have had a salad every day for lunch for a month now. For breakfast I have either oatmeal, hot organic soups or a salad. I feel as long as you continue to eat healthy I am not quite sure if there is a danger to that. Again keep in mind that this is just my opinion and I am going with what has worked for me. Of course I continue to keep my eyes and ears open for newer and better nutritional ideas. Here is a link to hopefully answer your question about the rice issue.
3wf9%2C00.html,http://health.ivillage.com/eating/ewgrains/0,,3wf9,00.html
Old 02-12-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Ryan,
Just from a quick glance your calorie intake looks very low. Just wondering - do you have any problems completing the WOD? How about your energy levels throughout the day...do you find them constantly fluctuating? Just wondering what are your goals on the CrossFit program? Training for a sport? or rather, are you looking to improve your body composition and general fitness level?

From there, we could probably give you a much better critique of your current eating plan.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #4
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Why on earth would you get rid of the egg yolks from your eggs? That's the best part. Not as much protein as the whites but one of natures best sources of bioavailable b vitamins and also a good source of many other nutrients.

I get rid of the whites sometimes.

As far as your rice, if you want my opinion, which I am often so eager to give as people on this board know, go to the oatmeal thread.

If you are healthy with your diet the way it is, great. You would be fitter if you eschewed grains...my opinion, which is also a fact...in my opinion that is.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:19 AM   #5
Ian Holmes

Profile:
I would say you don't eat enough... but then I would make the same comment to most people. Your energy levels would be good to know as that is a really low caloric intake for the day.

As to eggs... I can understand wanting to drop the yolk to avoid fat... but without them eggs are no longer a complete protein, also your body could use the fat.

Lastly... I love brown rice. I would say keep it in there... just don't go overboard with the stuff.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
Michael Forge

Profile:
Ian, what makes you say egg whites are not a complete protein? It's my understanding that they are.

As for brown rice, I too eat it on an almost daily basis and consider it a very healthy part of my diet. I eat lots of whole grains and NEVER have stomach problems.

Many people on this site are staunch advocates of a "paleo" diet, and eschew anything our paleolithic anscestors didn't eat. Personally, I have no desire to live by the intellectual, technological, or moral limitations of 40,000 years ago.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
Rob McBee

Profile:
Brown rice is just sugar to your body. Too much and the excess is converted to fat for storage with increases in triglycerides and cholesterol. Metabolically the effect is the same as a candy bar. Eat it if you choose but I'd suggest tight portion control.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #8
Peter Queen

Profile:
Rob. Quick question. What's your take on white rice then? Do you think it's less or more beneficial than brown rice? Of course everything needs to be taken in moderation, but brown rice has never given me a sugar buzz.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #9
Ryan Payne

Profile:
Thanks for the feedback, Everyone. My question really pertained to grains in the diet as compared to Zone and Paleo, not about a restrictive calorie diet. I looked up the oatmeal threads and saw some interesting advice about the inverse relationship of cooking times and glycemic index.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
Nikki Young

Profile:
Peter, i'm not Robb.. but white rice is brown rice without the nutrition. White rice has been processed more, so the outer layer with a bunch of nutrients has been taken out. Thats why you will see some white rice brands actually adding nutrients into the rice, so that there is actually something 'good' in it.