CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #21
Joseph Smith

Profile:
Re: 14.4 letdown!!!

I don't think this is a time to complain. Remember Crossfit isn't just about the WoDs. It is about the people, the community, and the experience. I think this should be a time to expand the Crossfit community, use the "In Search of Crossfitters" section, or find an affiliate. I know it doesn't work into everyone's schedule but look at the positive side of things you may find a new workout partner, friend, or an affiliate you may enjoy. I hope everyone finds that rower they need!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #22
Will Thorsen

Profile:

If this were 2011, I would definitely agree that adding the rower would have been quite exclusive, but I think rowers are a lot more prevalent now than they were 3 years ago.

Additionally, I think it's worth considering what HQ's goal of "inclusive" actually is. I don't think they view "inclusive" to mean that 100% of athletes, at 100% of all levels, any where in the world can do every workout. Before you object, remember there is a large contingent of adaptive athletes that participate in the open knowing they are not able to do some/all of these workouts Rx'd, and thus their score "doesn't count" in the sense that they did not complete the workout as prescribed. I know there is a difference between knowing you are not able to do something and being surprised that you are not able to do something.

At the same time, I'm a garage gym guy who has had zero issues with affiliate owners when I come in to do the open. I also have two rowers in my garage. They weren't easy to come by used, but used rowers are out there.

I feel for folks who are in places where they literally have no affiliate access and no rower access, but I can see where HQ is coming from in its goals:

1) make money (it is a business),
2) test fitness (and the open has been sorely lacking in testing monostructural movements) and
3) include as many people as reasonably possible.

I think the workout accomplishes 2 excellently, accomplishes 3 very well for the vast majority, and, based on the increase in the number of folks signed up this year, 1 is not a problem either.

I also think that the nature of the open workouts this year is intended to send a message to affiliate coaches and athletes as well as garage gym folks - if you want to compete at a high level, want your athletes to compete at a high level, and/or want your average gym population to get better, then here are some things you must focus on. These workouts hopefully opened many coaches/athletes' eyes (including mine) to glare weakness in skills/strength that must be addressed to become fitter, more balanced, and more competitive athletes.

That's my take
Old 03-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #23
Jon Campbell

Profile:

What I've learned thus far...no matter what the WOD is someone is going to complain. Either the WOD's are boring and have no imagination or someone is getting left out. The fact is when 200,000+ people sign up then someone isn't going to be happy. After 14.3 there were over 100,000 males that posted a score in all 3 WOD's, I'm guessing after this one there will still be over 100,000 males post a score. Sounds be inclusive to me. If you've been doing crossfit for more then a minute and are upset about having to row then not sure what to tell you.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #24
Jeff Simon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Thorsen View Post
If this were 2011, I would definitely agree that adding the rower would have been quite exclusive, but I think rowers are a lot more prevalent now than they were 3 years ago.

Additionally, I think it's worth considering what HQ's goal of "inclusive" actually is. I don't think they view "inclusive" to mean that 100% of athletes, at 100% of all levels, any where in the world can do every workout. Before you object, remember there is a large contingent of adaptive athletes that participate in the open knowing they are not able to do some/all of these workouts Rx'd, and thus their score "doesn't count" in the sense that they did not complete the workout as prescribed. I know there is a difference between knowing you are not able to do something and being surprised that you are not able to do something.

At the same time, I'm a garage gym guy who has had zero issues with affiliate owners when I come in to do the open. I also have two rowers in my garage. They weren't easy to come by used, but used rowers are out there.

I feel for folks who are in places where they literally have no affiliate access and no rower access, but I can see where HQ is coming from in its goals:

1) make money (it is a business),
2) test fitness (and the open has been sorely lacking in testing monostructural movements) and
3) include as many people as reasonably possible.

I think the workout accomplishes 2 excellently, accomplishes 3 very well for the vast majority, and, based on the increase in the number of folks signed up this year, 1 is not a problem either.

I also think that the nature of the open workouts this year is intended to send a message to affiliate coaches and athletes as well as garage gym folks - if you want to compete at a high level, want your athletes to compete at a high level, and/or want your average gym population to get better, then here are some things you must focus on. These workouts hopefully opened many coaches/athletes' eyes (including mine) to glare weakness in skills/strength that must be addressed to become fitter, more balanced, and more competitive athletes.

That's my take

Completely agreed. I definitely feel for the people without rowers and without access to a place that has them, but I'm glad HQ put rowing in the Open. I'm also glad that the Open is "harder" this year. For the people that want to compete on a Regional/Final level, the bar has to be raised. For people that compete in the Open for fun, scale it or skip as you see fit.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #25
Alex Burden

Profile:

Great WOD that will now spread the field but will also put allot of people in situations that they have never been in before.

If it was always easy where would the fun be???

We always say crosfitters never give up and feel the pain... well now is the time to show it and feel it.

Can't wait for 14.5, i think that will be killer and go up another notch.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #26
Richard Colon

Profile:

If you are regional level then its not an issue.

If you are even remotely serious or just all in on the pretending to be an elite Crossfitter (or I want to give it an honest shot and see where I stack up/I should be paid attention to like they are) then you should have rower access. That should be a priority. Before 2-3 pairs of nanos, $14 socks, specialty gear, rocktape, expensive Progenex shakes, Eleiko bumpers, etc. If you haven't secured rower access (by owning one or knowing where to drive to use one) and you are in this game for 1/2 year of more - that's your fault. A C2 is a staple of Crossfit. One of the main and best tools to help test "fit" in that way. Nothing new here folks...

If its all for fun, then don't complain. Your scores shouldn't matter to anyone but you anyway.

Last edited by Richard Colon : 03-21-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #27
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

I believe that it is a good thing to have new exercises. I have not rowed much knowing (wrong) that it was not coming in the open... got to work everything. Lucky I am a good natural rower. The are hammering the video scores and introducing things that should be in the open. They want people who go to the affiliate gyms. Who is the top person in the open who doesn't belong to crossfit? I would love to see another chipper with burpees, thrusters, KB, bar muscle ups, HSPU.. you know real crossfit.. heck throw in a Bench press and some dumbbell movements.. congrats to the HQ for expanding the open.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #28
Stuart Carraway

Profile:

Isn't there a rule that a box owner shouldn't turn anyone away from doing the Open at their box?

We had four guys, that do CF at a small gym, come in and our box owner welcomed them.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #29
Josh Groves

Profile:

While I feel for those without access to a rower, every athlete that is going to advance past the Open will have access to a rower (and would have even if this workout didn't come up). In the very, very minimal off-chance that there is a Regional level competitor that doesn't have access to a rower, well then that athlete is probably already in contact with HQ trying to figure out something.

If you don't have a rower and still want to complete this as closely to form as possible (while not having a valid score, it will preserve the format), use an unloaded barbell and do sumo deadlift high pulls per CrossFit's recommended substitution: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#Substitutions5 (WFS). I'd wager that about 2 SDHPs would count as a calorie or so, and you could thusly do 120 SDHP's and probably be close in work equivalency. That's a total approximation and if you had the ability to find out how far you go to burn 10 calories you could have a much better frame of reference to work from.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #30
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
Before 2-3 pairs of nanos, $14 socks, specialty gear, rocktape, expensive Progenex shakes, Eleiko bumpers, etc. If you haven't secured rower access (by owning one or knowing where to drive to use one) and you are in this game for 1/2 year of more - that's your fault.
With all due respect, there are plenty of people that aren't putting money into the "frivolous" items that you mentioned and still don't have money for a rower. Finding a used rower is difficult (especially in a non-metro area) and they're still likely to be more expensive than the rest of a garage gym combined. In addition, they have a pretty sizable footprint, which is significant for people that don't have much space.

I agree with you that unless someone is in an especially remote area, a CF affiliate is usually within driving distance. However, the whole point of a garage gym is the ability to do all of your workouts from home. It's clear that HQ wants to get people more involved with affiliates, at least as far as the Games are concerned. I'm not making a judgement there, just an observation.