CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-21-2014, 04:45 AM   #11
Steven Wingo

Profile:
Re: 14.4 letdown!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hurst View Post
Rowers are a mainstay of CF programming and one of only three ways we do monostructural conditioning.
True--and I think HQ is hammering that fact home by including rowing in the Open.

As a former endurance athletics junkie who used to be way too thin, I have grown to really love and respect the rower because it won't let you get away with perceived gains in getting faster by losing muscle mass. You need cardio fitness but you also have to build full body strength and maintain muscle mass to be strong on the rower.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:32 AM   #12
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer Blankenship View Post
I was pretty disappointed by the decision to include the rower. So much for allowing anyone and everyone to compete. Don't get me wrong it is a great workout, but CrossFit just took the home gym aspect and threw it out of the window.
Agreed. There was talk in the past about how anyone anywhere could compete. So much for that. This workout makes you automatically DQed if you can't get to an affiliate or if you don't have a $1000 rower. I understand this will not be a problem for the vast majority of CrossFitters, but it feels like they are turning their back on the garage gymers who were their original community.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:33 AM   #13
Greg Warren

Profile:

Quote:
...CrossFit just took the home gym aspect and threw it out of the window.
You lost me here. There are plenty of people with a home gym who have a rower. I have one myself. I realize that it's not a cheap piece of equipment, but neither is most of the other stuff that we all buy for our home gyms.

As has been said earlier; if you need access to a rower, call a local affiliate and ask about doing a drop-in for 14.4. I'm quite sure most local affiliates will be happy to accommodate you.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:40 AM   #14
Springer Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Warren View Post
You lost me here. There are plenty of people with a home gym who have a rower. I have one myself. I realize that it's not a cheap piece of equipment, but neither is most of the other stuff that we all buy for our home gyms.

As has been said earlier; if you need access to a rower, call a local affiliate and ask about doing a drop-in for 14.4. I'm quite sure most local affiliates will be happy to accommodate you.
I understand lots of home gym owners have a rower, I search Craigslist everyday for a rower and would LOVE to have one. It's not in my budget at this time though having already spent a good chunk of change on what makes up a majority of the CrossFit equipment.

I understand most affiliates would be more than happy to allow me to drop in for 14.4 if I choose to do so, the fact of the matter is that HQ basically just said you must go to an affiliate to perform this workout or you must spend $1000 on equipment for 1 exercise. They just made it VERY VERY difficult to include everyone in the open. Good luck to those of you who have a rower, have a garage big enough to hang rings, have a pullup rig and do wall balls and even more luck filming that cluster ****.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:42 AM   #15
Sean Dugan

Profile:

Quote:
I understand lots of home gym owners have a rower, I search Craigslist everyday for a rower and would LOVE to have one. It's not in my budget at this time though having already spent a good chunk of change on what makes up a majority of the CrossFit equipment.

I understand most affiliates would be more than happy to allow me to drop in for 14.4 if I choose to do so, the fact of the matter is that HQ basically just said you must go to an affiliate to perform this workout or you must spend $1000 on equipment for 1 exercise. They just made it VERY VERY difficult to include everyone in the open. Good luck to those of you who have a rower, have a garage big enough to hang rings, have a pullup rig and do wall balls and even more luck filming that cluster ****.

Looks like you are in Pasadena, plenty of boxes close to you. We have 3 gyms getting together at Crossfit Syndicate @11:am on Saturday in Columbia, you should come drop in.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:45 AM   #16
Lance Neumeyer

Profile:

The "In search of Crossfitters" section may be a good place for those of you who don't have access to an affiliate or rower. That section may see more traffic than it ever has this week.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #17
Springer Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dugan View Post
Looks like you are in Pasadena, plenty of boxes close to you. We have 3 gyms getting together at Crossfit Syndicate @11:am on Saturday in Columbia, you should come drop in.
Sean thanks for the offer, I know there are plenty of boxes close to me, I have worked out at several of them. As a military member what about my friends deployed to remote locations like Afghanistan, Iraq, or deployed on boats? Not as easy for them to drop in, yes we have the luxury of dropping in at local affiliates, but lets not forget those currently deployed video taping the OPEN from remote locations who are working out in a dirt compound, using a homemade pull up rig working out with thrown together equipment. Two years ago I was deployed and we were lucky we had a rower at our camp, but many camps did not. For those individuals there open is now over.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:14 AM   #18
Chuck Golden

Profile:

I think some of the outcry, I know at least in my mind anyways, is that this is another WOD that doesn't fit the "inclusive" nature that they sell the Open to be. Any of these WODs taken by themselves might not cause such a big stir but so far in four WODs, we've seen one "inclusive" event.

I share the opinion of many others, they could have done burpees as the first movement and I think this WOD is easily accepted by everyone.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #19
Tricia Grunwaldt

Profile:

Actually, there are plenty of affiliates who don't have rowers too. As a small town affiliate having been open just a few months, we aren't seeing the cash flow to purchase $1000 rowers- our community is just now learning what CF is and it is HARD to get them in the door. But for the ones we have that signed up for the open, under the very misleading pretense that anyone can do it, we are SOL and scrambling to borrow one. I agree, burpees would've leveled the playing field just as much, if not more than rowing and everyone could've actually participated. 👎
Old 03-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #20
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Golden View Post
I think some of the outcry, I know at least in my mind anyways, is that this is another WOD that doesn't fit the "inclusive" nature that they sell the Open to be. Any of these WODs taken by themselves might not cause such a big stir but so far in four WODs, we've seen one "inclusive" event.

I share the opinion of many others, they could have done burpees as the first movement and I think this WOD is easily accepted by everyone.
I don't see how the first 2 were not inclusive events. This one I can definitely see your point. But the first 2 just had movements that we've seen last year in the crossfit open. This is the first time rowing has been in there.