CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
Leon O'Regan

Profile:
14.4 letdown!!!

Ok, I feel really let down!
A rower?- really?
For someone like me who doesn't have an affiliate and works from home, this workout completely wrecks my open! Why not make it 60 Burpees first so everyone could still compete!
Heavy weights, double unders, muscle ups... If you can't do a workout because you can't do an exercise then I have no issues- practise, but to not be able to do a workout because you haven't the equipment just sucks!
Do this at home and I can't start as have no rower, go to the gym I work at and I can row, t2b but then have no ceiling room for wall balls! Run outside I could do it but then I'm moving around too much to record it all and get stuck at muscle ups as my gym has no rings!
Maybe it's just me but I'm really dissapointed. The movements are fine but the grouping sucks!
Surely Burpees instead of rowing would have been much better?- harder, simpler, and more inclusive
Old 03-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
Jayme Gruber

Profile:
Re: 14.4 letdown!!!

Personally, I love this WOD. But I can see how much of a nightmare it is for anyone that has a garage gym or any regionals hopefuls that need to record.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
Beth Martino

Profile:

I think this is why they posted the graphic earlier today that showed how 98% of athletes did 14.3 at an affiliate and only 2% at home via video judging. Affiliates "should" have rowers and so they feel like not "many" people will be getting shafted by requiring a rower for 14.4.

http://games.crossfit.com/article/143-moon-and-back (WFS)
Old 03-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
Chuck Golden

Profile:

There's probably planting of boxes that said "oh crap" too. My home gym has about 50 members but only one rower. I'd imagine there's plenty of boxes that are light on rowers
Old 03-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

They should have at least put the rowing later in the workout so those that don't have access to a rower could still post a score.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
Steven Wingo

Profile:

I think you will find affiliates to be quite accommodating, which will work out for most of the 2% referenced who are doing the workouts at places other than affiliates. Although there will probably be a small percentage who will have trouble finding a place to do the workout.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I have a home gym and have two rowers.............

Surprised by this one a little, but it is what it is. I am looking forward to a longish chipper.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon O'Regan View Post
Ok, I feel really let down!
A rower?- really?
For someone like me who doesn't have an affiliate and works from home, this workout completely wrecks my open! Why not make it 60 Burpees first so everyone could still compete!
Heavy weights, double unders, muscle ups... If you can't do a workout because you can't do an exercise then I have no issues- practise, but to not be able to do a workout because you haven't the equipment just sucks!
Do this at home and I can't start as have no rower, go to the gym I work at and I can row, t2b but then have no ceiling room for wall balls! Run outside I could do it but then I'm moving around too much to record it all and get stuck at muscle ups as my gym has no rings!
Maybe it's just me but I'm really dissapointed. The movements are fine but the grouping sucks!
Surely Burpees instead of rowing would have been much better?- harder, simpler, and more inclusive
Remember, at the beginning, HQ STRONGLY recommended that these WODS be done at an affiliate whenever possible.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:20 PM   #9
Will Hurst

Profile:

Go support your local affiliate by buying a tee shirt and asking if you can hang out and do the WOD. The affiliates are what keep CF in business so it won't hurt to leave the house for a WOD.

If your affiliate doesn't have a rower then this should be an eye opener that they may want to reinvest in their business. Rowers are a mainstay of CF programming and one of only three ways we do monostructural conditioning.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:26 AM   #10
Springer Blankenship

Profile:

I was pretty disappointed by the decision to include the rower. So much for allowing anyone and everyone to compete. Don't get me wrong it is a great workout, but CrossFit just took the home gym aspect and threw it out of the window.