CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #11
Dan Silva

Profile:
Re: 14.3 tips and strageties. Jump or step?

Unless you are elite I would suggest step ups.

Sounds stupid - but in this 8 min amrap, time is not the factor. It's strength.

I was at the 275 DL at 4:40 doing step ups. 275 is not usually that heavy for me but I don't think I've tried to rep 275 at high volume before. After 10 reps it felt like every rep was a 1 rep max (and my 1rm is 435).

If your trying to make regionals and your 1rm is in the 500+ range - I would say box jumps. Rest of the world, step it up and don't hurt yourself.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:48 AM   #12
Dan Silva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Skarsfeldt View Post
I did the WOD last night and did only step ups. I'm 6'5" and could continue for days with step ups.

A few tips. Wear your belt at all time. Just loosen it up for the box jumps(steps)
Mixed grip at all times.

I have a 435 DL max and trust me these 275's are not fun at all. Started with doubles and then straight to singles. Drop, pick up, drop, pick up etc.

Got 17 reps into the 275.

I will NOT be doing this one again. CNS is wrecked!
You typed that as I was responding - I agree 100%. We have the same exact 1rm and every rep at 275 felt like my 1rm today. I ended up getting back to the box for 4 jumps after the 275.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #13
Kristian Skarsfeldt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Silva View Post

I was at the 275 DL at 4:40 doing step ups. 275 is not usually that heavy for me but I don't think I've tried to rep 275 at high volume before. After 10 reps it felt like every rep was a 1 rep max (and my 1rm is 435).

If your trying to make regionals and your 1rm is in the 500+ range - I would say box jumps. Rest of the world, step it up and don't hurt yourself.
Quoted for truth!

Quote:
You typed that as I was responding - I agree 100%. We have the same exact 1rm and every rep at 275 felt like my 1rm today. I ended up getting back to the box for 4 jumps after the 275.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #14
Alex Romero

Profile:

Quote:

This is good to know. Thanks
Old 03-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #15
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Ok, so it's already sounding like a consensus to step up, if not right away, as soon as you feel like you would have to break them up, and/or take any undue rest before starting box jumps after your DL set.

I have a question maybe no one has thought of: I know, inherently, time is time, and this can't magically make the plates go on or off any easier. However, in terms of order of operations: do you think there is an advantage one way or another, to these different approaches:

1) Deadlift, box jump, change plates, deadlift, box jump, change plates, etc...

vs.

2) Deadlift, change plates, box jump, deadlift, change plates, box jump, etc...?

I feel like #2 has an advantage: I get done deadlifting. While my posterior chain is already "heated," if you will, get the plate changing over with, which is kinda like mini, poor-form deadlifting. Then, you get to stand up, go over to the box, straighten up, let those muscles rest a little, while you also recover some lungs (if we go with the step-up-from-the-beginning approach). Then you go right into the heavier deadlifts refreshed. In my mind, leaving the box refreshed, so to speak, but then changing the plates, starts to tax the DL muscles, and now you start a heavier set not quite as fresh.

Thoughts?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #16
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:

I judged a couple of workouts this morning and also agree this is excellent advice. Do step ups unless you are elite. Your score on this workout will have far more to do with whether you can keep repping out dead lifts than how fast you get the 15 box jumps each time. Try to relax on the box, be fast by being smooth and consistent, and catch your breath on the step ups. Save yourself for the heavier dead lifts. That is where most people will get hung up.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #17
Andrew Scheid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
If you can't rebound the box jumps do step ups. Don't go out too quick on the 135. I know it's light weight but need to a nice steady pace. You can't win it on the first 10 but you sure can screw yourself. I'm going to try and go unbroken up until 225, then try for sets of 7,7,6. My hope is to make it to the 275 set and anything from there is just gravy for me.
This is about where I'm at. I'm fine with a few singles at 275 and calling it good. I compare this one to 13.3(?) last year. I did jumps and step ups last year and step ups are by far the easiest way to go. You can keep moving the whole time and don't burn out the hammies for the DL's.

Question: how many of you are corner jumpers/steppers vs. being straight on?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #18
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
Ok, so it's already sounding like a consensus to step up, if not right away, as soon as you feel like you would have to break them up, and/or take any undue rest before starting box jumps after your DL set.

I have a question maybe no one has thought of: I know, inherently, time is time, and this can't magically make the plates go on or off any easier. However, in terms of order of operations: do you think there is an advantage one way or another, to these different approaches:

vs.

2) Deadlift, change plates, box jump, deadlift, change plates, box jump, etc...?

I feel like #2 has an advantage: I get done deadlifting. While my posterior chain is already "heated," if you will, get the plate changing over with, which is kinda like mini, poor-form deadlifting. Then, you get to stand up, go over to the box, straighten up, let those muscles rest a little, while you also recover some lungs (if we go with the step-up-from-the-beginning approach). Then you go right into the heavier deadlifts refreshed. In my mind, leaving the box refreshed, so to speak, but then changing the plates, starts to tax the DL muscles, and now you start a heavier set not quite as fresh.

Thoughts?
Never thought about it but I think you have a point. It's always hard for me to go from a deadlift straight into a box jump, even step up. I think I will switch plates before jumping.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #19
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post

vs.

Thoughts?
Nope. Tie breaker is when you finish box jumps so you're going to cost yourself tons of spots if you do the weights first.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #20
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
Nope. Tie breaker is when you finish box jumps so you're going to cost yourself tons of spots if you do the weights first.
Boom, and there you have it - nice catch, Jayme.