CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-14-2014, 06:29 AM   #1
Thomas Cofer

Profile:
14.3 tips and strageties. Jump or step?

Did this for 14.2 and got some good response. What's a competitive score? What are some good strategies for this one? I have heard some debate on whether or not to jump or step.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
Jayme Gruber

Profile:
Re: 14.3 tips and strageties. Jump or step?

I plan to jump as long as possible, first two rounds at least. Also hoping to get at least one rep in at 315 for a score of 131+

Definitely wearing an adjustable weight belt I can tighten and loosen between movements, box right behind where I'm deadlifting, no collars, hopefully no breaking on the deadlifts at 225 or only one break if so.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:05 AM   #3
Jason Spradlin

Profile:

If you can do jumps quickly and unbroken, do them. If not, do step ups and jump down.

Jumps should be faster than set ups, but if you have to stop and take a few breaths between jumps there is no advantage.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
Jon Campbell

Profile:

If you can't rebound the box jumps do step ups. Don't go out too quick on the 135. I know it's light weight but need to a nice steady pace. You can't win it on the first 10 but you sure can screw yourself. I'm going to try and go unbroken up until 225, then try for sets of 7,7,6. My hope is to make it to the 275 set and anything from there is just gravy for me.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #5
Steve Agocs

Profile:

I did it this morning and scored 85, which I was fine with. For girls, steps were definitely the way to go, especially for the taller girls. Guys could go either way. I might do it again on Sunday at Open Gym to see if I fare better with step ups because I am a jumper, step-downer (being a few days from 39 it's not worthing blowing my Achilles for some fitness).

Pacing is DEFINITELY important. I blew through the first two sets pretty fast and then was wiped out in terms of breathing on the third. Weight was fine for me, so breathing was the limiting factor. Coming up with a break-up strategy on the sets and sticking with it would be good and definitely slow down the first two sets.

If you have grip issues at all use a women's bar with 5# plates on it. 25mm Bella Bar or whatever is a lot easier to grip than the 28.5 standard men's bar. Grip is not an issue for me until upper 300's so I didn't bother, personally, but it's good advice.

I've seen people coming up with all sorts of crazy recipes for plate changes and etc on the men's side so that they only have to add weight and not subtract. I'm not buying it. I don't think the few plate changes are a big deal and you need the little rest anyway. Especially if you have access to iron 25's, I think you'll actually save time versus a bunch of full size bumpers going on. Plus when it gets into the 3rd round and above all those plates are going to start shimmying around on the bar and you'll need to use collars, which are just as slow to take off and put on as not using collars and instead just using iron 25's.

It's simple: start with your 45's on the bar (or 5's + 45's if you're using the women's bar), add the 25's next set. Strip 25's, add 45's next set. Add 25's next set. Strip 25's add another set of 45's if you get that far. No big deal.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Corey Tomala

Profile:

Agreed. I tested it out last night with step ups and I think it's the smart way to go unless you can do box jumps all day long. For me it was almost like an active rest period and I was able to go right back into the deadlifts. I got to 275 with about 3 minutes left, but my back was tightening up real quick (don't think I warmed up well enough as I can DL 455) so I stopped and will be doing for reals on Saturday or Sunday.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:34 AM   #7
Ryan Gonzalez

Profile:

Even if you can do rebound jumps it might be better for pacing to do step ups. That way you aren't to work out for the next set of dead lifts. Or maybe do 10 rebound jumps then the last five do step ups to catch your breath a little before the dead lifts.
Just a thought.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
Alex Romero

Profile:

I've done wods like this before and for me step-ups allow me to keep moving throughout without stopping. I'm wondering maybe doing my first 5 reps with rebounding jumps then remaining 10 stepping up. The theory being that it's only 8 minutes. Have any "steppers" done this and found it worthwhile?
Old 03-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #9
John Holcombe

Profile:

Are we allowed to use a lifting belt?
Old 03-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
Kristian Skarsfeldt

Profile:

I did the WOD last night and did only step ups. I'm 6'5" and could continue for days with step ups.

A few tips. Wear your belt at all time. Just loosen it up for the box jumps(steps)
Mixed grip at all times.

I have a 435 DL max and trust me these 275's are not fun at all. Started with doubles and then straight to singles. Drop, pick up, drop, pick up etc.

Got 17 reps into the 275.

I will NOT be doing this one again. CNS is wrecked!