CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #21
Chuck Golden

Profile:
Re: 2014 Open surprises and who is underperforming?

Maybe this has been posted somewhere else and I missed it but does anyone know what happened to Daniel Tyminski on 14.2? He got 103 reps and that's killed his overall rankings. He's 8,119th in the world and 716th in the North East. He's got a ton of ground to make up
Old 03-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #22
Tim Squires

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Golden View Post
Maybe this has been posted somewhere else and I missed it but does anyone know what happened to Daniel Tyminski on 14.2? He got 103 reps and that's killed his overall rankings. He's 8,119th in the world and 716th in the North East. He's got a ton of ground to make up
Posted on fb he heard something in his shoulder pop on a pull-up. As it's unlikely he qualifies for regionals as an individual, he's changed focus to his gyms team.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #23
Jacob Burns

Profile:

Strain/tear in his lat
Old 03-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #24
Jason A Smith

Profile:

There is some bizarre stuff that went on with 14.3 no doubt. Leaderboard all over the place.

Dave Lipson also a surprise, he scored 152, guy can lift a house, or at least could. Wonder if this last two weeks will sees one of the same wild swings. I hope so as I have ground to make up.

The other thing that no one mentioned was how badly fried some people's CNS will be after all those DL's. I feel better now but trained today and felt like I got hit by a truck.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:00 AM   #25
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
He should have. He only got 8 more reps than me and I'm a schlub. He made it to the final WOD in the Games and got destroyed by deadlifts, you'd think he would've spent the off season addressing that glaring weakness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Golden View Post
I thought they had a video fairly recently with him even talking about how he'd put a lot of emphasis on deadlifting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Neumeyer View Post
They did, and he said he's gotten alot stronger in the DL. Got to remember though that he still only weighs 165 lbs; doing reps at 315 after all the work to get there is going to be very tough for the smaller guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
I suppose. I'm only 175-180. Just surprised our scores were that close given how elite he is.
here is what CJ Martin posted on the Games site:

"I love the Open season, and so does Josh Bridges, but at the end of the day, it's simply a qualifier to Regionals for athletes at Josh's level. Josh has worked hard all off-season and made some huge improvements in his deadlift. Monday of last week he slammed through a deadlift workout with 35 reps at 405 lbs - because like all athletes at his level he's training through the Open. Between Monday's workout and work obligations, his back wasn't feeling 100%. He made a smart decision to play it safe on 14.3 to protect his back. It dropped him in the world ranking…which counts for absolutely nothing at Regionals and Games. If you're a fan of Josh, don't get concerned by one Open workout. There was a reason for it…and I suspect you all will see on Thursday night that Josh is going to be just fine this year."
Old 03-19-2014, 02:13 AM   #26
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Does anybody know how much Josh improved his PR on deadlift?
Old 03-19-2014, 06:31 AM   #27
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Smart move by both Josh and CJ. I think some of these guys get caught up in the Open and trying to "one up" each other. The seerious Games guys actually do them as part of a regualr training day. The fact that Froning and Khalipa put up those numbers as part of their regular training speaks volumes.

Those DL's rocked my CNS for the past three days. I feel great now and ready to kill it but I can see how Josh may have been a bit fatigued.

Like I said, there is a Games competitor from last year in my own Region who is not lighting it up this year, he is either sick or is just doing the Open to qualify for Regionals.

Lucas Parker is still just in the top ten of Canada West......
Old 03-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #28
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

I can see why they played it safe with his DL and the workout. But I remember the look on Rich F's face when he fixed his rope climb.. changed him for good. He had the opportunity to get that grin on his face and crush the DL workout.. was looking a bit non Josh on the M/U's last night.. thought that he would crush it.. yes way better than 99.99% of the world but un Josh like. In order to win the games will have to Clean/Jerk/Dead/ better.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #29
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price Goosby View Post
I follow him enough online to see that he's obviously focusing on his lifts over everything else, more power to him since it's clearly his strength. It just took me by surprise since he was such a star at last years games and then just boom, no more.

With all the injuries, people falling behind, and others not participating, this might be a good year for up and comers to put their name out there.
Does anyone know if he'll be in the 105 or and try to fill out his lanky (by WL standards) tall frame and go 105+??

Other thing he's got to know is that although his 385lbs/174kg clean is great in the crossfit world, the top guys in the world of weightlifting are lifting that at 62kg bodyweight, aka 136.4lbs. The top american guys in the 105 class are hitting 195kg+ C&J, 155+ snatches...I wish him luck but I hope he gets that 1year is not a long time to add a crap ton of weight to your 1rm in complex moves like snatches and C&J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Neumeyer View Post
They did, and he said he's gotten alot stronger in the DL. Got to remember though that he still only weighs 165 lbs; doing reps at 315 after all the work to get there is going to be very tough for the smaller guys.
How does his bodyweight being less affect how much work he can do with a barbell? wouldnt the only things that would affect that be your 1RM and your muscular endurance, muscular endurance being in Josh Bridges wheelhouse.

If anything him being lighter would help him out as he would use less oxygen etc, doing all the previous work.