CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #21
Michael Capalbo

Profile:
Re: 14.3 funny thinking about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
David I understand your viewpoint. But from my perspective, there is another side of the story which has been a great one. More than half a dozen members at our box, out of about 35 in the Open, got their first double unders in 14.1 and it has been a great experience for them. Several people also got their first overhead squats and many more were forced to take their OHS clearly below parallel after getting no repped.

My belief is that these workouts, with a skill movement in DUs and a difficult movement requiring lots of flexibility and good core strength in the OHS, has been outstanding for lots of folks. They have had to get out of their comfort zone and been forced to go to DUs and go below parallel on their OHS. In the end, lots of people are advancing their fitness due to the movements. Ultimately, the skill and physical abilities required to do DUs, and the flexibility and physical ability to do the OHS at the required weights, fall squarely within the 10 general physical abilities trained through CrossFit. So I think they are quality workouts for everyone.

We also have to keep in mind that the Open must also serve as the feeder for Regionals. There are thousands of great athletes who are candidates. The workouts have to be challenging enough for them as well to provide meaningful distinction. 14.1 appeared to do that in that very few people could rep out the whole 10 minutes unbroken. And the ascending ladder of 14.2 of course did a great job there and ultimately catches up with any athlete no matter how good they are.

In the end, I think 14.1 and 14.2 have done an admirable job in accommodating both every day athletes and the better than average and elite competitors.

I agree Steven. Very well-said. People did a lot of growing during both 14.1 and 14.2, getting their first or PRing and then doing that for reps. Or walked away making resolutions to be working on certain stuff for next year. And the movements and loads are something that an average Joe (or Jane) doing CrossFit on the regular "should" be able to do. Even if you can't do a CTB, you still could get 10 reps from a not-heavy OHS.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:59 AM   #22
Alex Burden

Profile:

I believe they are testing the standard but also seperating the masses.

14.1 was for everyone, but 14.2 really put the pressure on and has split the field wide open.

Yes it has been hard for some people, but as many have mentioned it is the only way to grow and put you in a situation you are not used. Thats called progress.

The important thing is that you reach your goal and not worry about anyone else... oh ... apart from beating as many as you can in your box

14.3 will have a time cap i think, 7min or 10min.. AMRAP something for the masses... box jumps, maybe burpees and deadlifts or KB.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:54 AM   #23
Springer Blankenship

Profile:

I thought 14.1 and 14.2 were both great workouts, but then again I do not think they were inclusive at all and it probably cost HQ many people holding onto that money to register until they saw what 14.1 was. While the exercises were all vital parts of the Crossfit spectrum they did not necessarily include that athlete who just started. While some may have been able to do it, the date the open starts is only a couple of months after the first of the year, when many make that resolution to get fit and join a new gym, most of those athletes who walked into a Crossfit gym on January 1st probably got 0 reps in the open or did not compete due to not being able to complete a rep.

I personally think the Open should start off as almost 100% inclusive and allow any athlete even on day 1 to get a rep. It builds the community and you ramp the open up to where workout 3,4,5 are the true ball busters. You can include break away points in Open WODs 1 and 2 but they should be something that nearly all members of the community could get a rep in. Then in 3,4,5 you can expose those weaknesses.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #24
Jacob Burns

Profile:

6 minutes of air squats. Everyone gets a trophy!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:29 AM   #25
Andrew Bell

Profile:

I fully expect 13.5 (Fran ladder) to be somewhere in there this year. That was a great workout.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #26
Jenni Hartman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
I fully expect 13.5 (Fran ladder) to be somewhere in there this year. That was a great workout.
I'd be surprised given that we already did C2B pull-ups in 14.2
Old 03-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #27
Kristian Skarsfeldt

Profile:

Yes I agree. I dont think we are gonna see a Fran since we already had the C2B
Old 03-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #28
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Wall balls.

Will definitely have wall balls.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #29
Springer Blankenship

Profile:

9 Min Amrap Ladder of

Burpees/Thrusters/wall balls

etc
Old 03-11-2014, 09:19 AM   #30
Jason A Smith

Profile:

We have had two couplets so far and of the 14 standard Open movements we have done 4. That leaves three weeks to do the last 9 movements.

I am guessing three movements this week 12-15 minutes in duration. See who has some lungs and legs. Last weeks was a strategy/shoulder endurance workout only.