CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #11
Steven Wingo

Profile:
Re: 14.3 funny thinking about it

In addition to the possibility of injury, a good GHD machine typically costs more than $1,000, and many affiliates only have just a few (or maybe even one), so I doubt you will see them during the 5 week Open. Lots of at home competitors would be excluded and it will take affiliates way too long to run their members through the workouts. My affiliate only has one GHD machine, with 35 Open competitors, and running workouts one at a time would be very tough.

On the injury side of the equation, when I took my Level 1 the instructors really emphasized how potent the GHD machine is and how it must be used cautiously with baby steps. So CrossFit HQ appears to fully understand you don't want people new to a GHD machine trying to hammer out a bunch of reps in a competition setting.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #12
Price Goosby

Profile:

I only bring it up because main site started putting up GHD WODs a lot more and more right before the open, almost like they were getting people ready.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #13
Stuart Carraway

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price Goosby View Post
I only bring it up because main site started putting up GHD WODs a lot more and more right before the open, almost like they were getting people ready.
Yeah, I gotcha and see what you are talking about. I wasn't trying to say you are wrong. I mean look at the first two Open WODS. Not very inclusive like previous years. Just think GHD is more a Regional or Games movement. More developed cores and they understand how to do them correctly.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #14
Sean Dunston

Profile:

GHDs would be a quick eliminator for the Open.
I only have 1 in my affiliate.
The problems with GHDs is they are expensive and take up a lot of floor space. I can't imagine many garage gym folks would have one, and even gyms with a lot of members have only a handful of them for the reasons noted above.

At Regionals, when Rogue is supplying the gear in any quantities requested -- yes, I could see them making an appearance. Not in the Open, though.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #15
Rick H Larson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Carraway View Post
There is no way they would put GHD's in the Open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Carraway View Post
Now, that is not saying they wouldn't put them.
Lol, I found this funny. I know what you meant but the way it was written made me laugh.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #16
Steven Ngo

Profile:

i'm thinking something with ropes / rings (muscle-ups) / handstand pushups; or a combo of those.

or 800m sprint
Old 03-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #17
David L Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
What is wrong with the first two workouts?
With DUs and OHS, they eliminated about half the field. In 14.1 it was more of a test of skill in DUs than fitness and in 14.2 it was more a test of flexibility due to OHS. Go look at the leader boards and you will notice that only about half of the contestants in any division have submitted a score. While there was some attrition previously, it was nothing like this year.

Last years programing was open to anyone and did not limit people based upon skill or flexibility. This year, the first two workouts prevented a lot of people from competing and being part of the community. Last year, the difficult movements came in the progressions so that you had to have a very good fitness level to get to the advanced or skilled movements. This year, the advanced and skill movements were the primary part of the workout.

It is a great way to get a lot of folks to become disinterested in the open. It certainly is not good for building community and increasing the reach of the sport.

I can do both DUs and OHS, but I suck at both. In the end, the workouts will help me get better, but they certainly are not indicative of my fitness level. The part that I really do not like is that many people are not even able to take part and feel like a part of the community like last year.

Last edited by David L Jones : 03-10-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #18
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

yes HQ dropped the hammer on the new or beginner types. Might not have been the best financial decision. But I am sure they forecasted and have a plan. Somehow, someway these guys keep on delivering on this thing called Crossfit.
14.3 might be a long one 20 min with maybe 3 of the exercises left. Wonder what they are going to do with Muscle ups? Maybe burpee ones at the end of the workout.. Dead lift or Clean, bar over burpees, Burpee Box jumps then burpee muscle ups.. that would take care of burpees, dead lift/Clean and Muscle ups..
Old 03-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #19
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Jones View Post
With DUs and OHS, they eliminated about half the field. In 14.1 it was more of a test of skill in DUs than fitness and in 14.2 it was more a test of flexibility due to OHS. Go look at the leader boards and you will notice that only about half of the contestants in any division have submitted a score. While there was some attrition previously, it was nothing like this year.

Last years programing was open to anyone and did not limit people based upon skill or flexibility. This year, the first two workouts prevented a lot of people from competing and being part of the community. Last year, the difficult movements came in the progressions so that you had to have a very good fitness level to get to the advanced or skilled movements. This year, the advanced and skill movements were the primary part of the workout.

It is a great way to get a lot of folks to become disinterested in the open. It certainly is not good for building community and increasing the reach of the sport.

I can do both DUs and OHS, but I suck at both. In the end, the workouts will help me get better, but they certainly are not indicative of my fitness level. The part that I really do not like is that many people are not even able to take part and feel like a part of the community like last year.
David I understand your viewpoint. But from my perspective, there is another side of the story which has been a great one. More than half a dozen members at our box, out of about 35 in the Open, got their first double unders in 14.1 and it has been a great experience for them. Several people also got their first overhead squats and many more were forced to take their OHS clearly below parallel after getting no repped.

My belief is that these workouts, with a skill movement in DUs and a difficult movement requiring lots of flexibility and good core strength in the OHS, has been outstanding for lots of folks. They have had to get out of their comfort zone and been forced to go to DUs and go below parallel on their OHS. In the end, lots of people are advancing their fitness due to the movements. Ultimately, the skill and physical abilities required to do DUs, and the flexibility and physical ability to do the OHS at the required weights, fall squarely within the 10 general physical abilities trained through CrossFit. So I think they are quality workouts for everyone.

We also have to keep in mind that the Open must also serve as the feeder for Regionals. There are thousands of great athletes who are candidates. The workouts have to be challenging enough for them as well to provide meaningful distinction. 14.1 appeared to do that in that very few people could rep out the whole 10 minutes unbroken. And the ascending ladder of 14.2 of course did a great job there and ultimately catches up with any athlete no matter how good they are.

In the end, I think 14.1 and 14.2 have done an admirable job in accommodating both every day athletes and the better than average and elite competitors.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #20
Michael Capalbo

Profile:

I think this year's workouts have been great actually. Even though I'm doing a lot worse this year than I did last year, but (a) I have a poor double-under and (b) I hit a wall in the 2nd 3 minute-period of 14.2. It's not Dave Castro's fault for either of that though.

Both workouts hit a lot of the ten physical skills and were accessable enough, which is how it should be. 14.1 was about speed, coordination and accuracy (double-unders). 14.2 was about coordination, balance, stamina, and maybe power. But they were still accessible enough....a double-unders, 95-pound overhead squats, CTB pull-ups aren't easy but they aren't that hard either. An average crossfit athlete should have been able to get some points on the board in either workout.

Anyway I think 14.3 will be either (a) a good old-fashioned work-capacity slog where you push through a lot of light-load low-skill movements (example is the 7 minutes of burpees), or (b) a ladder-type workout where the movements or loads get harder as you get deeper into it, like maybe a clean ladder or something where muscle-ups make an appearance if you get far enough into it.