CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-14-2014, 06:14 AM   #101
Ryan Gonzalez

Profile:
Re: 14.3 funny thinking about it

As someone who strained my lower back a year and a half ago doing high rep deadlifts with poor form, I'm going to take this slow concentrating on good form every rep. I know from experience how easily this workout can go south with poor form so I will pace the dead lifts. Once I get to 225lbs I will probably do every deadlift one at a time, I wont try to string them together. Lift it up, drop it, reset, butt down, back straight, lift, drop. Slow and steady wont win this race but at least I will still be able to play with my kids the next day.

On a side note, I think many people, myself included, will do step ups instead of box jumps. They are allowed and will help us average crossfitter go at a more steady pace without wearing ourselves out.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #102
Jeff Simon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Gonzalez View Post

On a side note, I think many people, myself included, will do step ups instead of box jumps. They are allowed and will help us average crossfitter go at a more steady pace without wearing ourselves out.
That's my plan. I'll probably go bounded on the first round and step-up the rest.

Barbell Shrugged put out a "tips" video last for 14.3 and Mike Bledsoe mentioned stepping up to the box at the corner of the box. It was an interesting idea and I might use it.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #103
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Simon View Post
That's my plan. I'll probably go bounded on the first round and step-up the rest.

Barbell Shrugged put out a "tips" video last for 14.3 and Mike Bledsoe mentioned stepping up to the box at the corner of the box. It was an interesting idea and I might use it.
Some nsfw language: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbwpQ-lAK70
Old 03-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #104
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Diamont View Post
What's the thought of losing A high level games competitor this week to a back injury? I think more likely a man, and it will happen in the 275 to 315 weight as it will be a moderate weight that the strong men will try to blast through with poor form. Reps and weight are crazy high and heavy.
Happened to Annie last year right? Back injury if I'm not mistaken. In my opinion if that injury hadn't happened she would've 3-peated her title like Rich did and Briggs wouldn't be on top. So definitely possible. Look at the situation and someone like Mikko who hurt his knee. Once you're out that long, it seems incredibly hard to catch up to everyone else who over months has logged 100 more workouts than you while they're healthy
Old 03-15-2014, 03:26 AM   #105
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

plan to go steady with good form for the time. If i have to sacrifice reps for form then so be it. Started CF to get fit and strong and the Open is a pleasant bonus. It seems a bit skewed if i throw away my aims for a few reps of DL in the open

H