CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #51
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: Transgender Games Competitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen M Brennan View Post
well there are many menopausal women who are routinely prescribed HRT.. are they excluded from competition???

H
Technically, yes, they would be excluded from competition. The example given in the policy is males taking testosterone replacement, but the policy is broadly written to cover all HRT.

I'm not saying I agree with it, or that it is right. I'm just making observations about what is written policy.

Honestly, I don't see menopausal HRT coming up as an issue. I don't see how it would give any competitive advantage. I don't see anyone on HRT being excluded from competition unless they choose to bring it up as an issue.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #52
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Technically, yes, they would be excluded from competition. The example given in the policy is males taking testosterone replacement, but the policy is broadly written to cover all HRT.

I'm not saying I agree with it, or that it is right. I'm just making observations about what is written policy.

Honestly, I don't see menopausal HRT coming up as an issue. I don't see how it would give any competitive advantage. I don't see anyone on HRT being excluded from competition unless they choose to bring it up as an issue.

I agree with you on that technicality... I was just musing given the CF policy. Little benefit for performance and strength...but there is a study wthat reveals that HRT reduces the drop in muscle mass and strength in post menopausal women and that women who take HRT can jump higher and walk faster than those who do not take HRT.He said: ‘Even though individual muscle fibres did not change in size, the muscles of HRT users showed greater strength by generating a higher maximum force compared to non-HRT users. It is thought that using HRT, at least in part, reduces modifications of muscle contractile proteins that are linked to ageing.
‘HRT is also associated with a more efficient organisation of myonuclei, which are essential components for muscle fibre function.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz2vohEuPKS

i am off to my DR to investigate

Helen
Old 03-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #53
Chris Mason

Profile:

I've expressed my opinion on this repeatedly on Facebook. In a nutshell, I think CrossFit has every right as a private organization to determine who will be allowed to compete.

Specific to this issue, if you are going to have male and female classes then there has to be a definition, and that definition should be (or is in this case) biological sex. This person was not born a woman to my understanding. She was born a man. She has had surgery and hormonal treatments to change her appearance. The bottom line is that removing a man's penis and providing him estrogen treatments DOES NOT make him biologically a female. She will NEVER have an uterus, fallopian tubes, or exactly a female hormonal profile etc. There is no arguing these facts.

If CrossFit, as a private entity, chooses to not allow her to compete in the female class they have EVERY right to do so. A governmental entity compelling them to change their rules for this person would be patently wrong in my opinion. Governmental incursions into private freedom is a slippery slope that this country is falling prey to.

I feel that CrossFit should absolutely be able to do as they see fit. I ALSO feel that in our free country LBGT groups etc. should have the freedom to picket, express their opinions and such. CrossFit can then either stay the course or change their minds, but it should be THEIR prerogative, not forced on them by the government.

And before you mention the African American civil rights issues as a comparison, please don't. They are not even remotely similar. This is a transgender individual who made a choice to have surgery and live their life as a woman. Blacks were dragged here by force from other countries and compelled into slavery. The culture, especially in the South, became such that blacks were considered property and often treated as sub-human. The mistreatment was pervasive. Legal action was required to right a culturally egregious wrong.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:08 AM   #54
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Chris mason,

I do agree that CF has every right to set the rules, regulations and definitions for their organisation and competition. I also agree that the transgender person has made their own choices ...it will be interesting to watch as this plays out in the legal arena... sigh it is likely to be messy as most cases like this become...it is a "first world" problem.. elsewhere people are too busy trying to eke out an existence.

The fly in the ointment will always be the "exceptions" in our litigious society.

H
Old 03-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #55
James Weise

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Reyes View Post
What does her DNA classify her as? If she comes up with XX chromosomes, then complete as a female; If she comes up XY, complete as a male.
What if it isn't that simple and she has XXY chromosomes?
Old 03-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #56
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen M Brennan View Post
Chris mason,

I do agree that CF has every right to set the rules, regulations and definitions for their organisation and competition. I also agree that the transgender person has made their own choices ...it will be interesting to watch as this plays out in the legal arena... sigh it is likely to be messy as most cases like this become...it is a "first world" problem.. elsewhere people are too busy trying to eke out an existence.

The fly in the ointment will always be the "exceptions" in our litigious society.

H
I totally agree.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #57
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Weise View Post
What if it isn't that simple and she has XXY chromosomes?
Genitalia - hormonal profile - Are they that of a man or woman (not counting the possibly removed penis and testicles)?
Old 03-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #58
Jeremy Lockhart

Profile:

Just ran into this girl eating lunch. She had on short shorts so I can confirm for you Chris that the penis and testicles are in fact removed. Ha. Sorry, trying to lighten up this thread a bit.

The deep(er) than normal female voice still remains. She appears to be living a perfectly normal female life though - boyfriend and all. Good on her.

I'm pretty sure she could beat me in most workouts, so I vote she's allowed to be in the female class.