CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Transgender Games Competitor?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/07/us/tra...html?hpt=hp_t3 WFS

Not sure if this will get bumped from the forum, if so I apologize, but I think it's an interesting debate.
On the one hand, I agree that someone born a male would have an advantage. On the other hand, the state of california and the olympics say otherwise.
Tough call for CF HQ, imagine the outcry if she won, or even bumped someone born female from regionals.
But I also think this goes against Coach Glassman's libertarian philosophy of the value of the individual (though I'm no expert no his views or being a libertarian ;-)...or maybe it is consistent as government should have no say in his business...

Curious what the community thinks...
Old 03-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Snir Golan

Profile:
Re: Transgender Games Competitor?

I am going to say exactly what i said about the transgender MMA fighter that wanted to fight in the Women's category: i don't like it and i think that it shouldn't be allowed. there are physical differences that give a male athlete a distinct advantage and it really isn't fair to the female athletes.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
Chuck Golden

Profile:

I'm gonna say what probably 90% of the population should say, I have no idea. I don't have the training or education to have the slightest clue as to whether or not this athlete would have an advantage. I'll leave that up to someone that does have that training or education.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
Jonathan Legaspi Ibarra

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Golden View Post
I'm gonna say what probably 90% of the population should say, I have no idea. I don't have the training or education to have the slightest clue as to whether or not this athlete would have an advantage. I'll leave that up to someone that does have that training or education.
I'm not even sure I can say 90% have "no idea". I might even say that most people have an opinion but just don't want to get into a debate.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
Jonathan Legaspi Ibarra

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
I am going to say exactly what i said about the transgender MMA fighter that wanted to fight in the Women's category: i don't like it and i think that it shouldn't be allowed. there are physical differences that give a male athlete a distinct advantage and it really isn't fair to the female athletes.
If we don't have clear gender distinctions, the only other possible choice we may have is just to do away with gender distinctions, which I can't say is a good idea.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
I think we all agree male athletes have an advantage. The debate is whether transgender athletes are defined by their birth or their new status.
Based on your post above, you seem to define them by their birth, but not all would agree.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
I think we all agree male athletes have an advantage. The debate is whether transgender athletes are defined by their birth or their new status.
Based on your post above, you seem to define them by their birth, but not all would agree.
you are correct and that is ok, that is just my opinion. the way i look at it is just because the operation was done does not mean that the advantages they were born with are no longer there.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
Mike Pulskamp

Profile:

Ok, let's see how this works...

I was born with Achilles tendons that are a bit too tight, I have an operation to reattach them that after lots of rehab makes me a much better runner, can I compete at all in the games?

I was born without Froning genes, as were I will bet, YOU. I should not have to compete against him because it isn't fair? (Rich, fine, say whatever you want...)

CF is plenty strong enough to easily absorb any little ripple that letting this woman compete could make in the games.

And if you think you are strong, think about what it takes to live with the wrong plumbing for much of your life. How many times a day knowing on the inside that you are different than the bits on the outside. To live that life and hold up to the **** that people inadvertently throw your way? Yeah that's hero ****!

I don't know the athlete at issue, but I do know a few trans people, and the lives they have lead. That can be a lot harder than Fran.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pulskamp View Post
Ok, let's see how this works...

I was born with Achilles tendons that are a bit too tight, I have an operation to reattach them that after lots of rehab makes me a much better runner, can I compete at all in the games?

I was born without Froning genes, as were I will bet, YOU. I should not have to compete against him because it isn't fair? (Rich, fine, say whatever you want...)

CF is plenty strong enough to easily absorb any little ripple that letting this woman compete could make in the games.

And if you think you are strong, think about what it takes to live with the wrong plumbing for much of your life. How many times a day knowing on the inside that you are different than the bits on the outside. To live that life and hold up to the **** that people inadvertently throw your way? Yeah that's hero ****!

I don't know the athlete at issue, but I do know a few trans people, and the lives they have lead. That can be a lot harder than Fran.
The fact that i don't think that she should be allowed to compete does not mean that i don't understand what she had to go through or respect what she is doing. and its not about CF being strong enough, i really don't think that this specific case will affect CF but it is about rules and a level playing field.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Not the same thing by any stretch of the imagination but does anyone know what the guidelines are for men that are on TRT? The only reason I mention it here is one could say that it provides an unfair advantage and others say that it just puts them up to a normal level of testosterone. Been an interesting discussion in the MMA circles and I wasn't sure if Crossfit had an official stance.