CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #21
John Holcombe

Profile:
Re: 14.2 strageties/ scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Carraway View Post
I wouldn't (I suck at them anyways). Unless you are efficient with them. A lot more force to get up and I think they will get to you quicker. I feel like kipping is more efficient in this WOD, unless you can butterfly really well. You can control your breathing better and whenever you get tired of doing butterfly c2b then you are going to do kipping anyways. It take more time, but less energy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
I'd stick with what you are used to doing--and make sure your reps are quality because no reps will really hurt.

Speed is not going to matter for most folks in this workout. You have plenty of time to get through the reps if you can keep moving--even in the round if 16 if you get there you would have almost 3 seconds per rep. That is plenty if you can keep working. Success will be determined by your ability to just keep working and hammering out good reps even if you don't do them really quickly.
I know my biceps will get burned out after the first round if I do them kipping... At least that's what i've experienced whenever I do C2B pullups. Maybe I need to stick with the kip and just get my whole body involved more and relax the grip
Old 03-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #22
Michael Cook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
What hand protection are you allowed to wear? Seems like I remember in the games a few years ago they were only allowed to tape their hands, couldn't wear gymnastics grips or anything else. Now alot seem to be wearing gloves so didn't know what the rule was now.
Here is what the rulebook, page 7 says:

Subject to CrossFit, Inc.ís prior approval, non-branded belts, non-tacky gloves, hand tape, neoprene joint sleeves and common fitness
wear may be allowed during competition. However, no grip assistance or weight support may be derived from any device worn.
In general, gear is allowed that improves safety and/or comfort, but does not confer advantage.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #23
Michael Cook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
Any advice on doing butterfly C2B pullups? I'm ok at regular butterfly pullups and my max is 25. Sometimes it takes me a minute to get in the right rhythm if i'm tired. I usually kip C2Bs and my biceps get really tired after like 20 reps
For me, the timing on a butterfly C2B is a bit different than butterfly pull up. On C2B, the swing through the bottom is longer, and you have to initiate the pull with a longer, stronger straight arm pull. Watch Camille do C2B in the announcement video. Her arms are mostly straight until her shoulders are about as high as the pull up bar.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #24
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Butterfly C2B are a totally diffferent animal than regular butterfly pull ups. The pull from the bottom is entirely different and as has been mentioned once they go you are in big trouble. They will not come back and you will have to go to a regular kip.

Tape is allowed. I am most worried about ripping and lat fatigue as we head into the latter rounds.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #25
Jeremy Lockhart

Profile:

Is everyone on this board just an animal, or do the 'normal' fit guys just not post? I haven't personally done this yet, but a few friends have and they're pretty damn fit guys, and most haven't gotten past the 2nd round. Personally, I'm not good at OHS at all due to shoulder flexibility, so I'd be stoked to reach the 3rd round.

I guess what I'm saying is I wish more 'regular' guys would post their strategies.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #26
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Lockhart View Post
Is everyone on this board just an animal, or do the 'normal' fit guys just not post? I haven't personally done this yet, but a few friends have and they're pretty damn fit guys, and most haven't gotten past the 2nd round. Personally, I'm not good at OHS at all due to shoulder flexibility, so I'd be stoked to reach the 3rd round.

I guess what I'm saying is I wish more 'regular' guys would post their strategies.
"Regular" guy here. My advice - do PVC pass-throughs and PVC overhead squats every day as part of your warm up. That's how I went from not being able to overhead squat the bar to feeling ok in that position. Also, before 14.2 warm up for like a half hour and make sure to do a few reps of OHS at the actual weight
Old 03-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #27
Greg Warren

Profile:

Quote:

I'll be happy to get into the 12's round if that tells you anything.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #28
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:

Will be pleased to get into the second round and thrilled to get past it.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #29
Michael Cook

Profile:

In the live announcement, Taylana made it through the round of 18 with 15 seconds to spare by doing the OHS unbroken and breaking up the C2B into 3 sets. She did them butterfly.

I think you can use that info to extrapolate how fast you need to move in order to make it through each round.

My guess - not tested mind you - is that if you are kipping the C2B instead of butterfly, is that you may be able to make it through the round of 10, 12 and 14 by doing OHS unbroken and breaking the C2B into 3 quick sets.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #30
Alex Romero

Profile:

I'm recovering from a shoulder injury that fortunately only turned out to be a slight tendon tear. It feels good (14.1 was not an issue) but I want to avoid hanging from the bar since it's not 100%. Therefore I plan on dropping off the bar after each one to avoid the swing on the bottom, and going right back up. Does anyone else do their pullups in that fashion and still get a good time on, say, Fran? Or better yet, did anyone do this on 14.2 and get passed round 2? I do realize this won't put me near the top of any leaderboard but I would rather be smart about this. I'm confident I can move through the OHS pretty quickly