CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #21
Ron Reed

Profile:
Re: Pretty glad I didn't sign up for the Open

I've only been doing CF for a short time so I really did'nt know what to expect from the Open. I guess I could have looked up past Opens to see what the programming was. I do work on DU's and I will continue to work on them until I have them down. I can see the point of the box owners that doing the open brings an inspiring atmosphere. But couldn't your box do the open workouts without donating $20 to HQ? I guess there is some motivation to see your name on a leaderboard along with CF elites even if it is hundreds of spots lower. I must not be conveying my point if I'm coming across as whiny. I'm not upset with CF or HQ about putting DU's into 14.1. We all spend a lot of money to do CF. I still haven't heard a really good reason why I would spend more to fumble around a workout. I'm not saying that the Open is pointless to anyone, again I am just speaking for myself.

On a seperate note, How many of the 200,000 that signed up for the open have a realistic chance of going to regionals?
Old 03-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #22
David L Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reed View Post
I have to say that I am pretty happy that I didn't sign up for the Open. Now let me explain my reasoning. I started Crossfit exactly 5 months ago today. Not very long. In that time however, I have been able to grasp every workout and movement that we've done....EXCEPT DU'S! I just can't seem to do more than 1 at a time. I can do handstand pushups, T2B's, clean, jerk, snatch. Everything but DU's. If I had signed up for the Open like every coach and a bunch of other members at my box encouraged me to, I would have been ****ed off. To frustrate myself for 10 minutes and possibly having a 0 score to show for it would have been totally discouraging. Also to have to totally forfeit the very first workout would have felt like a waste of time and money. I completely understand why HQ put Du's into the Open workouts. Their mission is to weed through 200,000 to find the absolute best to go to regionals and then on to the games, I get it and agree. What I don't really understand is how they can market the Open as a beneficial test of fitness advancement for Joe Average Crossfitter. The way it was marketed on youtube and Crossfit Mainsite and pushed by box owners seems a lot like a money grab. I mean 200,000 people paying $20 each is not chump change. I have been stewing over this since the announcement on Thursday and just wanted to get it off of my chest. If I can grasp the DU's this year, I may sign up for the Open next year, Maybe. I could also just do the publicly announced workouts on my own and see where I would have fallen. I have no aspirations or misconceptions of being a competitive Crossfit athlete. Your thoughts?
First off, I can do DUs and still think this is a bad opening workout because it excludes so many people. DUs should be part of the open, but shouldn't be the MAJOR component of the workout. In my opinion, the 14.1 workout goes more to determine one's skill at DUs rather than fitness.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #23
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

I can't really see the point of anyone doing the open who doesn't have all the basics down including muscle ups. If all you want to do is see where you stand you can still just do the workouts and look at the leaderboards. Most likely there will be something you can't do like DU's or MU's and then you will just be clumped into the rest of the pack who could only do a portion of the workout and was stopped short due to a lack of strength, skill, or some of both.

I really like the idea of the open because it allows anyone to have a shot but that doesn't mean anyone actually does have a shot if they do not possess the skills/strength to compete.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #24
Christopher Morris

Profile:

When this workout showed up in 2011, I was also just a few months into CrossFit and couldn't do consecutive double-unders. I muddled through the workout and I think ended up with three rounds.

I took that as a challenge and started practicing double-unders at every warm up. Three months later I could do 45 unbroken. There is a learning curve that is absolutely maddening, but once you "get" them, they are pretty easy. It's just a rhythym thing. Now I consider myself proficient at double-unders, though when I am tired can only get sets of five or so. I have done 100 unbroken a couple of times. I still do an unbroken set during every warm up and usually get 45-70.

Anyway, if you view the Open as your chance to shine and outdo the next guy, then failing at double-unders in the first movement of the first workout is going to be frustrating. If you view the Open as a way to gauge where you're at and improve your weaknesses, then it's no big deal. Learn, improve, move on.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #25
Ron Reed

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
If you view the Open as a way to gauge where you're at and improve your weaknesses, then it's no big deal. Learn, improve, move on.
Couldn't someone do this without the Open?
Old 03-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #26
Christopher Morris

Profile:

You, as an individual, could do it without the Open. If there were no Open at all, then you don't have the data from others to compare yourself against.

I get it. You're competitive. If you're going to enter a competition you want to be prepared to do well. I'm sure there are thousands like you who are frustrated with the first workout. There are many thousands who entered for other reasons and are making the most of it even if they can't do double unders.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #27
Justin McCloud

Profile:

My wife started doing crossfit about 3 months ago and had NEVER done a single DU until Thursday night. I, along with others at the gym, talked her into signing up and because of this we practiced DUs for an hour after the announcement and then again the next day.

She ended up getting 114 reps along with 11 in a row at one point. She did them in a 2 single/1 double rhythm and was THRILLED!

She literally would not have DUs in any way without being signed up for the Open.

Moral of the story: if you don't have DUs, practice and you will.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #28
John Holcombe

Profile:

If your goal is to do well in the open, you know you have to be good at double unders. They are in the workouts every year. When I first started crossfit, I had never jump roped at all before, let alone done double unders. If you practice them for like 5 minutes a day you will be good at them within a month or two.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #29
Ron Reed

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCloud View Post
She literally would not have DUs in any way without being signed up for the Open.
That's a valid point. I can see how it would nudge people to get past a sticking point.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #30
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

The Open is the same as every day in the gym. "You do what you can". No difference. It is you against you...

I understand your frustration but don't look at it negatively, look at it as an opportunity to compete and see where you are...understand your weaknesses and move on. Most importantly, have fun. I did the 2012 open with about 5 months of time in our gym. The experience taught me a lot...pacing, coaching (being coached), being in front of others in a competitive environment, etc...would not trade it for anything. I truly believe it helped me a lot more than it hurt me.

Beyond all that the energy in the gym when we all throw down is awesome. Gotta just jump in and grab a hold of that if nothing else.