CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
Jason A Smith

Profile:
Re: 14.1 Strategy

My strategy will be to hang onto the bar as long as possible and fight the urge to put it down at every turn. The more you put the bar down the less reps you will do. It won't magically hurt less at all.

This event is all about moving that bar unrelentingly for 10 minutes and to see who wants to do that. I may also go to some C & J's in there somewhere now that I know you can do it that way. A little slower, but easier to keep moving.

I think i will test it out and see whether I can move as fast with it (or close to it) as I can with the snatch. As it will likely be easier on my low back as well.

I can do DU's so I plan to use that time to breath and rest.

I did this back in 2011 and almost got 7 full rounds. AT the time I was doing CFFB so never trained anything like these at all. If I cannot beat my score from then I will be very disappointed.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #12
Will Hurst

Profile:

I see a couple people saying they went or will go to CnJ. Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't say ground to overhead, it says snatch which means it's supposed to be one movement? I'm genuinely curious if the standard allows you to go CnJ since that's actually two movements.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #13
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hurst View Post
I see a couple people saying they went or will go to CnJ. Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't say ground to overhead, it says snatch which means it's supposed to be one movement? I'm genuinely curious if the standard allows you to go CnJ since that's actually two movements.
From the movement standards on 14.1: "POWER SNATCH (GROUND TO OVERHEAD) This power snatch is a ground-to-overhead any way. The key
point is the range of motion between the start and end points."

http://crossfit-games.edgesuite.net/...Dw3DW_14_1.pdf WFS

Bozman said it himself in the video intro when they went over standards before the event last night.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #14
Clint Harris

Profile:

Will, also watch the demos. They literally do a clean and jerk. The guy doing the submission video switches mid-wod. It's OK.
Just really confusing to say "power snatch" when they mean something else - it was probably actually power-snatch for 11.1 and is how I've historically done it. I know for sure I'd keep moving better with the c&J option. I mean it's like 30% of my 1RM (power clean + jerk) let alone the full clean. For power snatch however, the weight is closer to 50% (and even worse for full). I just don't do them that often. This is much like step ups vs jump during box-jumps. I can do both, jump is faster in the short-term. Step ups last a lot longer and will prove better after 2 rounds. (for me anyway).

Power Snatch would also mean no full snatch - so for anyone who can't double under nor power snatch that much, they really did give a $20 donation.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:55 PM   #15
Will Hurst

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
Will, also watch the demos. They literally do a clean and jerk. The guy doing the submission video switches mid-wod. It's OK.
Just really confusing to say "power snatch" when they mean something else - it was probably actually power-snatch for 11.1 and is how I've historically done it. I know for sure I'd keep moving better with the c&J option. I mean it's like 30% of my 1RM (power clean + jerk) let alone the full clean. For power snatch however, the weight is closer to 50% (and even worse for full). I just don't do them that often. This is much like step ups vs jump during box-jumps. I can do both, jump is faster in the short-term. Step ups last a lot longer and will prove better after 2 rounds. (for me anyway).

Power Snatch would also mean no full snatch - so for anyone who can't double under nor power snatch that much, they really did give a $20 donation.
Got it, I didn't realize until just after I typed that there was a full demo (duh). Thanks for clearing it up!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:45 AM   #16
Darrick Light

Profile:

I struggle with DU's and have shoulder issues. So I was screwed from the start. My startegy was to get through the DU's and "rest" on the clean and jerk.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:11 AM   #17
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

I went unbroken on everything the first two rounds. Never broke double unders ever. On the third round I started switching between snatch and C&J. Every time I dropped the bar I would just alternate so I could keep moving. Ended up with 312, super happy but now I have to retest because w 3 more snatches I would've gotten back to the DUs with like 10 seconds left I could've jumped to 335 or so.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #18
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Did this today. Actually snatched all the way.

Ended up with a 351. DUs were all UB. I went 6-5-4 all the way with the snatches.

My throat is still on fire. Very happy with my day.

Fractioning like that helped mentally as well as my grip. I started feeling gross at 5 minutes but I hung on to the finish.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #19
Lex Ozias

Profile:

My question is are individual men allowed to use a womans bar (15kg or 35lbs) with 2 10's on each side so that it equals 75lbs.??? I have seen it in a few videos and wondering if it is legal.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #20
Clint Harris

Profile:

Lex, I bet some people will use a 15# training bar with 2x25# bumper and 2x5# plates. It helps prevent the small bumpers from folding and having to chase bar around room. 75# = 75# (on a barbell).