CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
Eric Konieczny

Profile:
Arrow How much would the Open change if Running and Rowing were involved?

Running and and Rowing have never been in the OPEN. How much would it change the game plan for athletes and the scoring for some?

As it has been the last few years, there has been no Running, or Any movement for a Distance ( like Front Rack Lunges with 95# for 50meteres)

and no Rowing.

As of the past, Opens, if you Good at Body weight movements, Gymnastics, and Lifting combo with a good engine, the Open is in your Wheel House.

How much would it change on who makes it to Regionals?

I personally feel the Games are the only true test of Fitness with all facets of fitness.

I can expand more, but interested in your thoughts first.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: How much would the Open change if Running and Rowing were involved?

It would be a logistical pain in the neck to submit a video workout of running. How could you verify distance in a video? With a distance-measuring wheel?

Rowing might be possible if the monitor is readable in the video.

Last edited by Christopher Morris : 02-04-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
It would be a logistical pain in the neck to submit a video workout of running.

Yep, that's the crux, especially for running. There would really be no practical way in the Open to program (say) a one-mile run and expect that it will be video recorded. The opportunities to cheat the system on a run would be enormous.

Rowing would seem to me to be more approachable, but then of course you have the challenge of not everyone having a rower or being a member of a box that has one. `Course, you theoretically have the same challenge with any other piece of equipment, but the odds are much higher of John Doe not having a rower in his garage than they are of him not having a barbell.

And, call me paranoid, but I worry about someone somewhere figuring out how to fool the system with the rower monitor.

- Mark
Old 02-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
Jason A Smith

Profile:

It may change the bottom percentage of those people going to Regionals, beyond that, no. People like myself that may or may not go, but more likely a 48-100 place finish in the Open in my Region, depending on events, my performance and that of others. Basically it is a crap shoot. If they pull out stuff I can handle and am good at and enough people are not, then maybe.

Keep in mind that of the 138,000 people that participated last year on 3% moved on to Regionals and .4% to the Games. Go and look at the Open roster and you will find that most of the Games level competitors were fairly high up in the Open. Never checked but likely hard pressed to find someone out of the top 1000, which is pretty good.

Keep in mind that none of these people target the Open for peaking or anything like that, they are just training and do the workout (likely once, maybe twice). Their level of fitness is beyond what most people are capable, have time for or are willing to build up to given the sacrifices it takes to get there.

The way the Gmes season goes it looks like this.

The Open - how much engine do you have ? One event/week
Regionals - do you have the engine, strength and some skill and stamina ? Two events/day for three days
Games - do you have engine, strength, skill and stamina to make it through the testing ? 3 events/day for four days

I doubt they will change anything about the testing model because it seems to be fairly accurate and produces the effect needed. It allows regualr people to compete and compare alongside folks that are the best at the sport. They are not very many other sports where you can compete alongside the best. Running or rowing likely wouldn't change anything. Maybe catch a few people off guard, but that is about it.

Last edited by Jason A Smith : 02-04-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
Christopher Morris

Profile:

In regards to endurance events as a Games qualifier, I was especially impressed with Jason Khalipa last year. He's a big dude and very strong, which typically means poor endurance performance. He didn't do very well at an endurance event, trained that weakness, and came back to win the half marathon row event at last year's Games. Pretty impressive.

Still, I don't think an endurance component would really disqualify someone like him. They're still going to make Regionals.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Konieczny View Post
Running and and Rowing have never been in the OPEN. How much would it change the game plan for athletes and the scoring for some?

As it has been the last few years, there has been no Running, or Any movement for a Distance ( like Front Rack Lunges with 95# for 50meteres)

and no Rowing.

As of the past, Opens, if you Good at Body weight movements, Gymnastics, and Lifting combo with a good engine, the Open is in your Wheel House.

How much would it change on who makes it to Regionals?

I personally feel the Games are the only true test of Fitness with all facets of fitness.

I can expand more, but interested in your thoughts first.
I looked. The lowest Games level competitor was well within the top 500 in the Open. I rest my case. If you are good at the Open that pretty much means you are fit, fit enough to be Games level. They aren't worried about finding the 48th fittest person in each Region so it is a moot point. I should geek out and look at the numbers more one day if I cared.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:52 PM   #7
Michael Cook

Profile:

You could compare placement in the Open vs. placement on Jackie at regionals, or placement in the Open vs. placement in the row 1 and row 2 wods from the Games.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #8
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
I looked. The lowest Games level competitor was well within the top 500 in the Open. I rest my case. If you are good at the Open that pretty much means you are fit, fit enough to be Games level. They aren't worried about finding the 48th fittest person in each Region so it is a moot point. I should geek out and look at the numbers more one day if I cared.
Yea that's what I keep coming back to, adding running or rowing or heavy lifting might churn the bottom of the Regionals roster but the only true goal of the Open and Regionals is to get the best athletes to the Games. I think that goal is being accomplished. Maybe the bottom 10-15 of Regionals would be a little different but, sad as it is to say, those guys aren't going to the Games regardless.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS Morris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Stop E. Wallace View Post
Rowing would seem to me to be more approachable, but then of course you have the challenge of not everyone having a rower or being a member of a box that has one. `Course, you theoretically have the same challenge with any other piece of equipment, but the odds are much higher of John Doe not having a rower in his garage than they are of him not having a barbell.

And, call me paranoid, but I worry about someone somewhere figuring out how to fool the system with the rower monitor.
Castro went there.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Castro went there.
Yep, Christopher.

- Mark