CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #11
Chris Richardson

Profile:
Re: Judges Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Like last year the information is good the test is a pain.

I was too tough on the questions where you drag the pictures to rep/no rep and not tough enough on the last module videos.

Took me 1.5 hours or so with 60% of the time spent on retaking quizzes usually over 1 question.

Done for another year.

I agree, the test was a pain!
Old 02-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
Ryan Richardson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Richardson View Post
I agree, the test was a pain!
Haven't even had time to go back and hit the last module. Just to be sure... You click in the no reps and manually put in the good reps right? Damn Ranger brain is all screwy here.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #13
Ryan Richardson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Richardson View Post
Haven't even had time to go back and hit the last module. Just to be sure... You click in the no reps and manually put in the good reps right? Damn Ranger brain is all screwy here.
Never mind I got it, they just want the no reps. I was over thinking it and being too strict on the movements.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #14
Jo Hsu

Profile:

The videos are a bit of a pain, but overall I thought they were a lot less fuzzy than last year's. I'm wondering if anyone else noted changes in movement standards from last year? I think the box jumps are different-- last year, we could do step ups, but this year they require a two-foot takeoff?
Old 02-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #15
Tim Squires

Profile:

So I've read they've included standards for KB swings which could be a clue to their inclusion in the open this year. Any other movement standards included for things we haven't seen? Burpee/box jump overs, hspus. Etc...
Old 02-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #16
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Squires View Post
So I've read they've included standards for KB swings which could be a clue to their inclusion in the open this year. Any other movement standards included for things we haven't seen? Burpee/box jump overs, hspus. Etc...
Had them last year, along with bar muscle ups and other movements we never see in the Open. You need to have taken the course to judge Regionals so they include everything in the test.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #17
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

In places, yes, the pictures were VERY hard to discern certain anatomical keys to the standard. On one picture, the right answer turned out to be regarding full arm extension, though the picture was in profile and you really had no angle to see the elbow (won't say which pic/module). I found the final very tricky, and am still not sure where I was going wrong, exactly. I take solace is knowing that, if you look at prior years' video submissions, judges' scores often disagreed, so it's not an exact science. I definitely feel good about knowing the standards and being able to pick up on them. I doubt I'll officially judge anything this year, but for $10, a good education.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:20 AM   #18
Sean Dunston

Profile:

honestly, I think all top level and even middle tier CF athletes should have to take AND PASS the test just so that they fully understand what judges are looking for at competitions.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #19
Steve Agocs

Profile:

That's a great idea! I judged a local CrossFit competition a few months ago and people kept yelling at judges and arguing with standards and stuff and it was stupid. American KB swings were THE WORST.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #20
Josh Groves

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
honestly, I think all top level and even middle tier CF athletes should have to take AND PASS the test just so that they fully understand what judges are looking for at competitions.
Great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Agocs View Post
That's a great idea! I judged a local CrossFit competition a few months ago and people kept yelling at judges and arguing with standards and stuff and it was stupid. American KB swings were THE WORST.
Kettlebell swings are definitely a challenge for judging purposes unless VERY specific criteria are specified. Different competitions have differing requirements as well, which further exacerbates the problem. I've seen some competitions only require that the athlete reach full extension, regardless of the position of the bell, and others where the kettlebell had to be straight vertical. Depending on the grip an athlete uses, the full vertical is either fine or requires overextension (which then breaks the midline). I digress...

With exception of one or two minor faults, the judges course this year was very well executed. I found it much easier to get through the modules than the previous year. The workouts they chose were great for practicing judging and they had some good "gotchas" in there to make sure you were paying attention carefully and highlighted some commonly missed things by doing so.