CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #21
Vic McQuaide

Profile:
Re: Anyone know details on what happened to Kevin Ogar?

Saw that nasty accident. I think it was 235# on the bar. They had a 3 mile run hours prior.. 1st mile 2 kb, 2nd mile 1 kb and the 3rd mile no kb.. Money, prayers they all help out. Such a tragic thing to happen. The staff did a good job. They had the medic over immediately, they made a circle around the place for privacy.. that was a classy move. I wish him the best recovery. Split second change of life for him and his loved ones.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #22
Dominic Parker

Profile:

Mike,

Thanks for the info. Not that it changes the outcome but it is at least good to know the facts. I was careful to say I didn't know exactly, but it doesn't change my opinion as to how dangerous the whole thing LOOKED on the screen.

Last edited by Dominic Parker : 01-13-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #23
Jeff Simon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Luten View Post
My prayers are with him and his fitness has no doubt prepared him for his latest battle.

In terms of donating, CJ Martin indicated he is uninsured. I know the CF community is incredibly generous, but the total medical expenses incurred has to be north of $1 million when you take into account the nature of the surgery, etc. Just trying to rationalize how a $20, $50, $100 donation could help in the face of such a large bill.
These donations could go towards other things like lost income, transportation to/from the hospital for his family, other expenses that Kevin was responsible for, etc.

He's probably facing some incredibly large medical bills but I think the CF community wants to help in any way possible.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #24
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Luten View Post
My prayers are with him and his fitness has no doubt prepared him for his latest battle.

In terms of donating, CJ Martin indicated he is uninsured. I know the CF community is incredibly generous, but the total medical expenses incurred has to be north of $1 million when you take into account the nature of the surgery, etc. Just trying to rationalize how a $20, $50, $100 donation could help in the face of such a large bill.
CrossFit made about $2,000,000 last year off the open $10 -$20 at a time. While he might not get the full cost covered every $1 counts.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #25
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Saw the programming for the whole thing and am thankful that he was the only one hurt. But even one, is too many.

Thoughts and prayers go out to him.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #26
Chris Mason

Profile:

First, any and all physical sports have an element of danger all the way up to the possibility of death in some cases. CrossFit is not particularly dangerous.

Next, what happened was a freak accident. Nothing more, nothing less.

Third, if you want to help someone who is down in a very tough time you can donate to help offset his medical expenses here:

WFS - https://fundly.com/kevin-ogar-s-recovery
Old 01-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #27
Jeremy Lockhart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Darlington View Post
I re-watched the incident a few times. He definitely did not fall into any pile of weights, the barbell hit him and he laid on the ground.
I've watched it about 10x in slow mo and I've come to the conclusion that the weights being behind the platform is the cause. Weights on the side of the platform would have obviously been safer.

The barbell does not appear to hit him at any time on the way down as his back was almost vertical which would have made it almost impossible. He basically sat on his butt as he lost the weight behind him. As his butt makes contact with the ground the barbell clearly hits the stack of blue 45# plates behind his platform and comes right back into his lower back at which point you see him react.

That's my take on it.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #28
Steven Wingo

Profile:

In terms of donations, every penny helps.

If the folks setting up the fund do it right, and presumably they will, the money won't go directly to him. A type of trust can be set up in his name, called a Special Needs Trust, which will allow for payment of defined expenses to benefit him but at the same time not count as income or assets which would disqualify him from governmental benefits (Medicare and Medicaid) which exist for this type of unfortunate scenario. So what happens is he could get Medicaid and possibly Medicare benefits and then the trust pays for needed things which are not paid for by those programs.

I know that relying on governmental benefits is not ideal, and it is sad someone would have to rely upon governmental benefits, but that is the reality of situations like this one. I have helped multiple clients in similar scenarios.

In the past, even insurance would not help too much because policies were capped at $1 million lifetime benefits. (I believe that now, however, there may be no caps due to the new laws although I'm not 100% sure). The million would get paid out, there would be much more than that in bills, and the injured person has to file bankruptcy and move to the available governmental benefits. If permanent paraplegia is involved (I don't know but the internet reports are not good), most people would have lifetime medical bills of at least $5 million and often a lot more. With someone in this physical condition, and the obvious mental toughness and motivation and drive he has to reach his level of competition, he will probably be far more self-sufficient than most people and his lifetime bills could be way less. But as another poster mentioned, even the acute care for an injury like this--just a few weeks even--could easily exceed $1 million.

I would say donate, support this person--fellow CrossFitter--who needs our help. If everyone gives a little it goes farther than you could imagine.

Last edited by Steven Wingo : 01-13-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #29
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Lockhart View Post
I've watched it about 10x in slow mo and I've come to the conclusion that the weights being behind the platform is the cause. Weights on the side of the platform would have obviously been safer.

The barbell does not appear to hit him at any time on the way down as his back was almost vertical which would have made it almost impossible. He basically sat on his butt as he lost the weight behind him. As his butt makes contact with the ground the barbell clearly hits the stack of blue 45# plates behind his platform and comes right back into his lower back at which point you see him react.

That's my take on it.
I haven't seen the video, but your description is compatible with a mid-back spinal injury. If the bar was falling down, I'd expect more a scrape injury, making a spinal injury unlikely.

If it can be determined that the equipment set-up was the cause of the injury, then the affiliate insurance might help with the medical costs. That's what the insurance is there for, right?
Old 01-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #30
Jeff Donovan

Profile:

I hope someone gets him signed up through the health care exchanges for healthcare.

He cannot be denied coverage, so that will help with some of the financial burden.