CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:
Re: Anyone know details on what happened to Kevin Ogar?

Still difficult to even imagine how it could happen, especially given the fact that most people are very experienced on how to bail from a lift, I'm sure he was no exception. Had to be some other exacerbating factor, too, it seems like, bad grip, something? Obviously, doesn't change the situation, but like you guys said, maybe will lead to a change in programming, if necessary. Just awful, regardless, I guess we can only hope that his physical fitness level going into this situation can be a huge benefit to his recovery and healing ability.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #12
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I also saw a FB post saying that it took ~15 minutes for the paramedics to arrive. Do you know if that is true?

- Mark
That one I don't know. I don't really have firsthand information, just some discussion I've had with others on FB. If they didn't have some form of professional medical care on hand for such a large event, that's even more irresponsible. Don't want to slander if that's not the case though so for sure somebody in the know correct this if it's wrong.

Really feel for Kevin though. Met him once, we competed "together" (that's in quotes because I was just barely out of scaled at that point and he won) at CF TNT's Battle for the Cup in St. Louis. Seemed to be a good guy. And he's a very experienced weightlifter.

Tighe, it's the touch and go if I had to guess. There's absolutely no way to properly set your back to receive a max load on a snatch from the ground without relaxing some of the tension. An unfamiliar pull = an unfamiliar catch = an unfamiliar bailing situation. Not good at a max load. That's just my first thought though, again I don't have firsthand knowledge.

Last edited by Jeff Enge : 01-13-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

I'm not a big advocate for Big Brother HQ getting all that involved in individual comps, but I do hope that this incident drives them to dictate an absolute requirement for medical support for CF comps.

If a 15-minute response time for this incident is even *remotely* accurate, then the organizers should be ashamed (and possibly even subject to legal action).

- Mark
Old 01-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #14
Brittany Birchall

Profile:

I was at the OC Throwdown this weekend...but I was outside the arena when the accident happened and the firetrucks came through...I had no idea what had happened inside.

Our community is so amazing...please consider making a financial donation to the Kevin Ogar fund. He is uninsured.

http://https://fundly.com/kevin-ogar-s-recoveryYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE

Thoughts and Prayers for Kevin Ogar.

And I have to completely agree with Jeff Enge, "There's absolutely no way to properly set your back to receive a max load on a snatch from the ground without relaxing some of the tension. An unfamiliar pull = an unfamiliar catch = an unfamiliar bailing situation. Not good at a max load. That's just my first thought though, again I don't have firsthand knowledge."

And just to clarify...it was a three position snatch ladder.

Last edited by Brittany Birchall : 01-13-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
Mike Darlington

Profile:

I was watching the live stream when it happened. Yes, it was during the 3RM touch-and-go snatch event, but it actually happened on his first snatch. He pulled under and it looked like his elbows were not locked out but he tried to stand up anyway. As he tried to stand his elbows gave and the barbell fell straight down on his back. They immediately moved the camera, but you could heard the guy on the mic saying they needed a medic right away. Not sure about how long it took for EMTs to arrive.

Unbroken 3RM snatch is certainly more dangerous than a heavy single, but this was just a freak accident. Thoughts and prayers go out.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #16
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Thanks for clearing that up a little Mike.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #17
Dominic Parker

Profile:

I was watching the stream and I can't be 100% sure honestly but it looked like he may have landed back-first onto one of the piles of weights that was unsafely close to where the guys were lifting. It happened so fast and was grotesque to say the least.The whole thing looked like a **** show and even if that isn't what happened, it easily could have. How they continued the event and anyone else kept going is beyond me. It is VERY hard to hurt yourself that way during any sort of oly lifting, and it is terrible that it happened. Whatever happened won't change the outcome, and we can only offer prayer, support, etc. for a fallen man.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #18
Mike Darlington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Parker View Post
I was watching the stream and I can't be 100% sure honestly but it looked like he may have landed back-first onto one of the piles of weights that was unsafely close to where the guys were lifting. It happened so fast and was grotesque to say the least.The whole thing looked like a **** show and even if that isn't what happened, it easily could have. How they continued the event and anyone else kept going is beyond me. It is VERY hard to hurt yourself that way during any sort of oly lifting, and it is terrible that it happened. Whatever happened won't change the outcome, and we can only offer prayer, support, etc. for a fallen man.
I re-watched the incident a few times. He definitely did not fall into any pile of weights, the barbell hit him and he laid on the ground. As far how safe the setup was, each guy has his own platform with the weights stacked off the platform behind it. This seems to be pretty standard from what I've seen at other competitions.

Like I said, this was a freak accident, and IMO had nothing to do with the platform setup or the event that was programmed. CrossFit (and any other sport) can be risky, and sometimes terrible things like this happen.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #19
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Thanks for the info...I don't think I ever need to see video of this.

Prayers to him....
Old 01-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #20
Andy Luten

Profile:

My prayers are with him and his fitness has no doubt prepared him for his latest battle.

In terms of donating, CJ Martin indicated he is uninsured. I know the CF community is incredibly generous, but the total medical expenses incurred has to be north of $1 million when you take into account the nature of the surgery, etc. Just trying to rationalize how a $20, $50, $100 donation could help in the face of such a large bill.