CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #21
Josh Groves

Profile:
Re: Have we all seen this yet?

Indeed, this shall be interesting indeed!
Old 03-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #22
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Gonzalez View Post
Reading through the website you can tell Budding has pretty big aspirations from this league. I feel like the success of this will be largely in having good owners who are dedicated and have the finances to pay for athletes, facilities, travel and other associated expenses.
It will be interesting to see how drafting works. Presumable an owner or coach would want all the athletes on their team to live in the same city so they can train together. And that only works if you either draft local talent or pay athletes enough that they would be willing to pick up and move to the city your team resides in.
To make it even more interesting, the draft is during Games season so will they get the top level CF athletes, if that's what they're even after. Would playing in this league prevent or hamper athletes from preparing for the Games? If so I wonder how athletes will choose? If the league actually becomes viable, maybe that's a way for these guys/girls to make some money at this thing
Old 03-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #23
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

I would imagine that an athlete in the PFL would be prohibited from competing in other competitions, including the cross fit games. Once they dropped form the CFG scene, I'm sure their sponsors would drop too.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #24
Steven Wingo

Profile:

It could result in a big payoff someday if the league gets off the ground and then survives. But many well capitalized start ups have failed, even in much more established sports. I tend to think the name of the game is surviving until TV takes an interest.

However, if network or cable TV is interested in more CrossFit oriented programs I think an upstart pro league has some big competition already. The Games are now on network TV and will probably be the Superbowl of CrossFit/Fitness for years to come. If you see anything else televised in the coming years, I'm betting it would be Regionals and the already existing major competitions which attract top athletes and have made a name for themselves. CrossFit itself is a candidate to grow its own network, which really already exists. The TV networks can also easily establish their own competitions--which may already be happening:

https://www.espnwwos.com/social/disn...rkouts-3-6-14/
Old 03-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #25
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Railsback View Post
I would imagine that an athlete in the PFL would be prohibited from competing in other competitions, including the cross fit games. Once they dropped form the CFG scene, I'm sure their sponsors would drop too.
Budding just commented on FB that athletes would be allowed to compete outside of the league in the off season, which the Open, Regionals and Games would be.

Thought it was pretty interesting in one of the videos they posted talking about the athletes, Neal Maddox sounds like he's running the team in the North East and another guy was talking about all the studs at Khalipa's gym and how awesome of a team they'd make.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #26
Chuck Golden

Profile:

OPT has signed three athletes, biggest name being Games athlete Amanda Goodman, and two others who finished top ten in their region last year.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #27
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Word on the OPT thing. Danny is a beast. James will have a string team out of Phoenix. All those folks train at his gym in Scottsdale. I like it !
Old 03-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #28
Deren Huang

Profile:

their youtube channel is up and running, it seems very legit. I enjoy seeing all these athletes able to compete and get supported even though they aren't podium athletes.

I am excited to see where this is going.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvQyZPfl27PeoB2rOxlYd2w (SFW)
Old 03-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #29
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Wow, major score for the NPFL. They signed Lindsey Valenzuela today!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #30
David Meverden

Profile:

Glad people can do this and CF. I was afraid it would be attempts to monopolize athletes.

Still very very skeptical, though. It doesn't help that I think the name is lame and will have people scoffing right out of the gate.

What I really want to know is exactly what the events will be like. I think that if it were more like longer lighter strongman contests it would attract interest more than endless thrusters and light snatches.