CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #11
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Doping has been discussed at length in another thread here http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=83704 (wfs).

The 2014 rule about unannounced drug testing by WADA is definitely a step in the right direction. The testing policy states: "All registered Athletes are subject to banned substance testing at any point during the year, including directed unannounced testing during the offseason, for any reason." Offseason testing could only apply to known past athletes, however.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #12
Beth Martino

Profile:

Here's something interesting I noticed in the official 2014 rulebook - Section 7.k.i - emphasis mine:
Quote:
i. The selected Athletes will have one week to submit their video. The video may be the original video captured during the Open, or the Athlete may repeat the designated workout and submit video of this performance. In either case, the video submission deadline must be met. All video submissions must adhere to the requirements listed in Section 7.d-e. Specific submission guidelines will be clearly communicated to the designated Athletes via e-mail.
I'm curious what happens if someone chooses to re-do the workout for video submission (maybe because the first time they did it they had as someone said, "questionable ROM," or maybe just because the first video came out badly) and they cannot repeat the score that was validated during the Open. Were they just having a bad day the second time around? Or was it because they "cheated" the first time? There may be some interesting or questionable judgment calls made again this year. I wonder whether top athletes will be more or less likely to release their videos as each week goes by this year.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #13
Jason Dimaio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Re: Regional athletes must video all open workouts

I've seen some complaints about the burden of doing videos of EVERY workout for EVERY athlete. This complaint really buys into the idea that the Open is for everyone and anyone has a chance to qualify for Regionals.

In reality, most affiliates and athletes know if they are going to qualify. There is a very small percentage of athletes that expect to qualify and would need to video every workout.
I understand your point, and I get why it's there, but it really does bring a wet blanket over some larger gyms trying to make everyone feel a part of something larger than themselves. We had over 90 athletes participating in the Opens last year. We only sent one team, no individuals. We didn't really expect much more than that, but I guarantee you're not going to see the same amount of participation from people on the lower end, and you're not going to see the same glimmer of hope in people's eyes as they try to compete for the first time, and that extra something that makes them accomplish things that they never thought they could do, that's going to be gone for a lot of people. Since they no longer have a shot at anything anyway.

Like I said, I understand the reasons, but this is taking away something that made CrossFit special, and contributed to the whole growth of CrossFit. It used to be for EVERYone, instead of just the elite athletes.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
Jason Dimaio

Profile:

Does anyone have any idea when the Judge's Course will open for 2014, or know the cost?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #15
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dimaio View Post
I understand your point, and I get why it's there, but it really does bring a wet blanket over some larger gyms trying to make everyone feel a part of something larger than themselves. We had over 90 athletes participating in the Opens last year. We only sent one team, no individuals. We didn't really expect much more than that, but I guarantee you're not going to see the same amount of participation from people on the lower end, and you're not going to see the same glimmer of hope in people's eyes as they try to compete for the first time, and that extra something that makes them accomplish things that they never thought they could do, that's going to be gone for a lot of people. Since they no longer have a shot at anything anyway.

Like I said, I understand the reasons, but this is taking away something that made CrossFit special, and contributed to the whole growth of CrossFit. It used to be for EVERYone, instead of just the elite athletes.
Beth's comment right above yours is interesting. She points out in the rules that you really don't have to video any athletes at all. If they qualify for Regionals and HQ requests a video, they can redo the workout and submit that one workout video. Something to consider if you want to keep the feeling more open and inclusive at your gym. Forget doing any videos during the Open, let everyone have a good time, with the understanding that your top athletes might have to redo one of those workouts for a video later.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #16
Jenni Hartman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Beth's comment right above yours is interesting. She points out in the rules that you really don't have to video any athletes at all. If they qualify for Regionals and HQ requests a video, they can redo the workout and submit that one workout video. Something to consider if you want to keep the feeling more open and inclusive at your gym. Forget doing any videos during the Open, let everyone have a good time, with the understanding that your top athletes might have to redo one of those workouts for a video later.
The only risk with that is that the athlete re-doing the workout might not be able to repeat their performance for the video, and risk getting DQ'd.

Our gym really only has one athlete that may qualify into the top 60 in the Region, so he'll probably be the only one that gets video during the Open sessions we run at the gym. We're hoping to qualify a team but will probably not have any other people qualify individually. Obviously if the first couple workouts go extremely well for someone we might have to reconsider whether to videotape the later workouts.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #17
Beth Martino

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni Hartman View Post
The only risk with that is that the athlete re-doing the workout might not be able to repeat their performance for the video, and risk getting DQ'd.

Our gym really only has one athlete that may qualify into the top 60 in the Region, so he'll probably be the only one that gets video during the Open sessions we run at the gym. We're hoping to qualify a team but will probably not have any other people qualify individually. Obviously if the first couple workouts go extremely well for someone we might have to reconsider whether to videotape the later workouts.
This is the case at our gym, as well. We have one coach who may have a chance at qualifying for regionals, but he generally works out after most everyone else anyway and will probably video his Open workouts on Sunday during or after the open gym session. We also have 2 Masters who will almost certainly be in the top 200 in their divisions (they were 42nd and 70th last year) but it sounds like they won't be required to submit video until the Qualifying weekend. So for the most part everyone doing the workouts together will not have to worry about videos anyway. I think everyone will still feel pretty damn awesome about it.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #18
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

I hear what you are saying Jason but I think almost everyone knows whether they have a shot at Regionals or not. My wife knows she won't make but I know she will enter the Games and participate. I know many folks in the same boat (let's face it, most of us are!)

It gets a bit more hairy for folks looking to field a team but again, I don't think that would be by accident. Affiliates with 3-4 strong women and men would have their act together and make sure they have certified judges and video. Yes, it adds complexity but also adds validity to who goes and who does not.

Just my thoughts...again, I understand what you're saying but I just don't see it keeping people from competing
Old 01-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #19
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni Hartman View Post
I'm not close to qualifying for Regionals. My goal has been to be in the top half of Open finishers, and I haven't been able to do that the last three years I've competed. So, with that qualifier...

Personally, the SECOND time I do a workout is my best performance. The first time I get a feel for how I should pace, where I get tired, and how it feels by the end of the workout. With that knowledge I can do better the second time. Any repeat of the workout after that is up in the air as to whether it will be better or worse.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #20
Michael Cook

Profile:

I think it will be interesting how much the Masters Leaderboard changes after the Masters Qualifying Weekend.

I am also curious as to how the Masters Qualifiers wods will differ from the Open Wods.

Here is how it is explained in the 2014 Rulebook:

3.g.iv
Masters Athletes will have 5 scores tabulated in order to determine their ranking in this competition: 4 scores from the additional
workouts and one score based on their finish in the Open. Only after the Directors have ruled on the requested videos will the final
Masters Leaderboard be set. If required, the submitted video(s) must be validated for the Masters Athlete to receive an invitation to
the Games. The top 20 Masters Athletes in each division will be invited to compete in the CrossFit Games.

http://media.crossfit.com/games/pdf/...ook_140106.pdf
wfs