CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Training for Tryouts

You still need back squats.

For GSLP, which has squats twice a week, you could do back squats monday, front squats friday. But if you are watering down the squats it would probably be a better idea for the short term to do Starting Strength or 5x5 where you squat 3 times a week. Then you'd back squat monday and friday, front squat wednesday. If you used a highbar position for your squats, which will aid the front squat more, that should be specialized enough for the next 2 months. Then after the new year you could start doing more high rep front squat specialization, as I mentioned above.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Thomas Newton

Profile:

To me it looks like continuing on the strong lifts 5x5 program may ultimately lead to more gains because the intensity is the same but the volume is higher. Is this a correct assumption or am I missing something in the importance of varying your training program?

Also, for the 2 METCONs I'll be doing a week, should they be focused on bodyweight movements or barbell movements?
Old 10-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Those numbers are very optimistic. My max FS and Max Bench are slightly above yours and if I had to do 20-30 reps at those weights I would probably be a little stressed lol. When is the tryout?
Old 10-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Newton View Post
To me it looks like continuing on the strong lifts 5x5 program may ultimately lead to more gains because the intensity is the same but the volume is higher. Is this a correct assumption or am I missing something in the importance of varying your training program?

Also, for the 2 METCONs I'll be doing a week, should they be focused on bodyweight movements or barbell movements?
What are you comparing Strong Lifts to here? It has more volume than SS, 5/3/1 or GSLP, but this may not mean you will get stronger. You might recover more easily from 3 sets so be able to continue increasing the barbell weight longer. As for program variety, variety is not necessary if you are still getting gains from your current program.

I think that if you drop a lot of the conditioning you could still get linear progression gains on Stronglifts or Starting Strength, especially if you ate correctly (correctly being LOTS). What is your height/weight?

As for conditioning (as I'm sure you'd refuse to drop it completely) I'd recommend short stuff or interval stuff that does not involve barbells. Stuff like sled work, sledge hammer, sandbags, or body weight calisthenics. Goal is to not tax your recovery too much. Coach Rick Scarpulla (who I'm a big fan of) often has his lifters finish sessions with high intensity abdominal and bodyweight circuits (no-pushup burpees for example, or jumping). You could leave in some easy long distance stuff too (like one long run a week); probably won't hurt much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
Those numbers are very optimistic. My max FS and Max Bench are slightly above yours and if I had to do 20-30 reps at those weights I would probably be a little stressed lol. When is the tryout?
He said he's got until March 2014. His goals are fairly lofty. Most people would need a 1RM FS comfortably over 300 lbs to be be able to knock out 25 reps at 185, but that's without specialization in high rep work. Maybe he should do a 20 (or 25, what the heck) rep front squat program the 6 weeks before? I've only heard of people doing 20 rep squat programs for back squat, but they do get REALLY good at 20 rep sets.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
Chris Mason

Profile:

I don't understand how this "team" is coaching athletes? Doesn't your school have strength coaches?

What exactly is the point of being able to do all of those reps with light weights? How will that make you good strength/performance coaches?
Old 11-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #16
Thomas Newton

Profile:

Thanks for all of the responses adn questions. I'll do my best to respond to all of them. Also, I learned some new information about the tryouts.

It looks like the front squat and bench rep ranges are lower than I had previously thought. I've talked to people on the team who said that they made it on with 12-15 reps for 185# Bench Press and FS. However, they also had a 5:00 time for a METCON that was done once through with 25 burpees, 50 wallballs (24lbs), and a 100m sled push with an undetermined amount of weight.

David, I am 166lbs; 5'9"

Chris, yes the school has strength coaches but not enough to keep an eye on every member of each team. The way I understand it is that the paid coaches watch everyone while each member of the strength team watches 2-3 athletes.

Those things don't make you a better coach (obviously your question was rhetorical) but part of the tryout is coaching someone through a specific lift. To help with my knowledge of the lifts, I've been reading Supple Leopard and Olympic Weightlifting by Everett.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #17
David Meverden

Profile:

The whole thing is kind of weird. I guess they want the training assistants to be in good shape? An athlete probably won't take seriously an out of shape slob, but it's not like an NCAA football player, or similar, will take seriously someone because they are really good at burpees.

Anyway, regardless of the strangeness, it's your goal, so we'll do what we can to help. I think my suggestions from earlier (take 2-3 months just to focus mainly on maximal strength then ~3 months with added work to specialize towards muscle endurance and conditioning) will do you pretty well. I also recommend you gain 10-15 lbs to facilitate those strength gains.

Five minutes to do that metcon is not very hard. If you did the burpees steadily without rushing and then did the wallballs unbroken you'd get to the sled in under 3 minutes. Even if you needed 30 seconds of rest in there you'd still have plenty of time for the sled if you've got the lower body power to get it going (which you should if you do the squatting we're telling you to).
Old 11-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #18
Thomas Newton

Profile:

Now that you mention it, it is sort of weird. I'm not even sure who is in charge of the tryouts or team (faculty wise). I appreciate your help even though it does seem goofy.

This probably doesn't help, but I am a cadet at West Point and Rick Scarpulla is the powerlifting coach here. Maybe he has a hand in the tryouts?

What's even more odd is that the majority of the work that the team does is Olympic Lifting and CrossFit style METCONS. Olympic Lifting isn't even tested in the tryouts, so I've heard.

I'm pretty much going to be following your advice to the "T". I'm probably going to cut out long runs and only do those 2 METCONS a week in addtition to the SS program.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #19
David Meverden

Profile:

I know Rick and don't think he would choose those as standards. He also doesn't do a lot of Olympic lifting with his guys, preferring dynamic effort squats and jumping. His program, BTW, is great, but is harder to implement than SS or something like that.

Anyway, make sure you let us know how things go.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #20
Thomas Newton

Profile:

Will do. I'll need some help with programming advice for the conditioning period so I'll be back.