CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Thomas Newton

Profile:
Training for Tryouts

I am training for tryouts for the strength and conditioning team at my school. The team's objective is to coach our NCAA athletes as they lift, but to get on the team, there are certain specific requirements.

The tryout goes as follows:

Max reps of Front Squats at 185lbs; goal: 25-30
Max reps of flat bench press at 185lbs; goal 25-30

Max strict Pull-Ups (without stopping); goal 25-30
Max strict Dips (without stopping); goal 35-40

An undetermined 12-15 minute minute METCON

Currently, my condiditoning is satisfactory for the tryouts but my strength is lacking.

My current stats:

Max front squat: 215lbs
Max Flat Bench Press: 225lbs

Max strict Pull-Ups: 18
Max Dips: 29

Currently I am coming off of a 5x5 StrongLifts program that I saw signifigant gains from (throughout the program I also did METCONs every day and an 8 mile run every Saturday).

I would like to start a new program that is more tailored to my current goals as outlined above. Are there any specific programs you would advise or a specific approach you would have me take to my lifting?

I have until March 2014 to reach my goals.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Steven Thunander

Profile:
Re: Training for Tryouts

You need something to increase strength fast, while maintaining Metcon. CrossFit Football (amateur program) or Greyskull are your best bets. Sub one squat session a week for front squats.

What would also be helpful are other stats, such as
Back Squat max
Deadlift max
Power Clean max
Clean and Jerk max
Snatch max
Fran time
Grace time
Filthy Fifty time
FGB score
Knowing these will help other people on the boards help you, as a glaring weakness in back squats will usually indicate a weakness in front squats, and the other lifts are needed to train others in them (and may show up in the metcon).

Also, including those movements in metcons will get you ready.
For example
Lynne
max reps BW Bench press
Max reps strict pullup

21-15-9
Front Squat 185
Ring dip (strict)-If you can do these unbroken, you are set here

Last edited by Steven Thunander : 10-25-2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-26-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
Thomas Newton

Profile:

The only other two benchmarks I know are Back Squat: 285lbs and Dead Lift: 325lbs

I'll try to get one of the other WODs in to see where I'm at.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #4
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

You need to stop working out every day, right now what you are doing is not conductive to becoming strong. I highly advise gslp with maybe 2 days of crossfit type conditioning (less than 12 minutes).
Old 10-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
You need to stop working out every day, right now what you are doing is not conductive to becoming strong. I highly advise gslp with maybe 2 days of crossfit type conditioning (less than 12 minutes).
This isn't necessarily true. As long as he is able to recover from session to session and as long as he is getting enough calories he should be fine. But I feel he does need to get on a dedicated program which is targeted towards his goals. He sounds young, he should have no problem increasing his strength and increasing/maintaining his aerobic capacity at the same time.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Those are the silly high rep test. A true strength program will not be as effective at getting a high score as training for the test.

There is a big difference in getting stronger at benching and increasing the number of reps you can do @185.

You will do best with a program that has a lot of volume and big sets.

The test are testing stamina not strength.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Thomas Newton

Profile:

Is there any specific high volume program you would recommend?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
David Meverden

Profile:

Right now 185 rep tests are not endurance tests for Thomas because it's too close to his 1RM (82 and 86%), so his first priority has to be improving maximal strength. Science and Practice of Strength Training recommends not adding muscle endurance training until the load being tested is LESS than 80% of 1RM, so with that in mind, Thomas, I recommend 2-3 months of pure strength training (GSLP is a good recommendation if you're working on your own, 5x5 WITHOUT the conditioning every day would be a good choice, especially if you swapped one of the back squat sessions for front squats each week), then for 2-3 months switching to a program that includes higher rep assistance work to continue building maximal strength while incorporation higher rep work.

My program recommendations for the second phase (and giving an answer to your high volume question) are:
1) Wendlers 5/3/1. This program gets your main heavy lifts and he includes a number of templates that include higher rep assistance work afterwords (like 5x15 bench). For you, you could do high rep front squat sets as assistance after your main squat work.
2) Westside/Conjugate routine. This is more complicated, but allows for a lot of tailoring and easily incorporates high rep assistance work. Great way to work maximal strength and muscle endurance. Rick Scarpulla's Ultimate Advantage template (there is a super long thread about it in fitness section) is one excellent version.

And I also agree with some of the posters above: stop doing intense conditioning every day (you can do SOME, high intensity, like once or twice a week), especially for the next couple months while you focus on your maximal strength. It will hamper your strength gains, just as I'm confident it hampered your gains on that 5x5.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
Robert Walsh

Profile:

I would also recommend finding a committed training partner who is significantly stronger than you.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
Thomas Newton

Profile:

Thank you David. For the second half of the 5x5 program I substituted all of the Back Squat sessions with front squats. I know that Back Squats allow you to load more weight and ultimately become stronger than a Front Squat would allow.

However, because the focus of the tests is on Front Squats, would it be beneficial to make the majority of my squats Front Squats in a GSLP program?