CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
John L. Mclaughlin

Profile:
Bulletproof Diet

I skimmed over the website while researching Bulletproof coffee(which my girlfriend is addicted to) and stumbled upon the founders diet plan, the Bulletproof Diet. Anyone have any remarks to make about this diet. It basically seems like a mix of a low to zero carb diet, a highly ketogenic diet, and a paleolithic diet. Here is the breakdown: 50-60% cals. from healthy fat( unsalted butter is included), 20% protein, 20% carbohydrate( only vegetables, though). Does anyone think that this is just a sham that is trying to be the magic bullet of all magic bullets?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: Bulletproof Diet

What are your goals with this diet?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I don't know if it as much of a sham as much as I think it is stupid.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
John L. Mclaughlin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
What are your goals with this diet?
Oh, I'm not going on it. I just was perusing through the Bulletproof main page and stumbled upon it
I was hoping someone could give me any insight. Also, since you seem to know a lot about diets, are there any warnings and tips you could give me when choosing to do a diet? I've been gaining muscle mass steadily for a while now( this is my goal), but don't want to gain a lot of BF. I'm at 12% now from 8%(this was when I was really skinny and weak). My diet looks like 100-120g of protein, 200-250g carb(except on rest days) and 100-120g of fat.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

The guy is a sham, I wouldn't listen to any of his advice. He admits to taking what essentially is speed and only exercises like20 minutes a month by standing on a vibrating plate. You can hear him talk about all that stuff on Joe Rogans podcast if you are interested, it is pretty obvious the guy is just a snake oil salesman.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
Michael Dries

Profile:

Entirely far to restrictive. Grass-fed organic EVERYTHING isn't feasible and isn't affordable for most people.

I honestly think most of his site has some good ideas but it's geared more towards scaring people into buying his coffee than anything else.

That said, I think a low carb Paleo approach is suitable for most sedentary people. I also think he has some a few good articles (see this article about flying http://www.bulletproofexec.com/hack-...g-with-a-cold/ WFS) but other than that it seems pretty neurotic to me.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
John L. Mclaughlin

Profile:

This diet is obnoxious! Some people claim to have lost 60lbs in only 6 months! Without exercise!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L. Mclaughlin View Post
I'm at 12% now from 8%(this was when I was really skinny and weak). My diet looks like 100-120g of protein, 200-250g carb(except on rest days) and 100-120g of fat.
How did you measure those bf % numbers? Your protein and carb intake seems fine and if you are working out properly you should not be gaining too much fat.

Maybe play a bit with timing. Plan your carbs only after a workout and have only fats/protein earlier.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
John L. Mclaughlin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
How did you measure those bf % numbers? Your protein and carb intake seems fine and if you are working out properly you should not be gaining too much fat.

Maybe play a bit with timing. Plan your carbs only after a workout and have only fats/protein earlier.
A personal trainer who works at my college gym put me on a scale, which gave me a number. He then used a caliper and gave another number. So the number may not be entirely accurate as it was a mix of the two numbers. He did this all for free. And no, I do not pay for personal training. The guy offered to do it.
As for carbs, I think I will look into the postWOD thing. I usually do have carbs after a workout( a banana, for instance.)
Old 10-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Then perhaps your BF % gains are not correct and you did not gain it that much...

12% seems pretty good for a strong crossfitter, check the top elite athletes, they dont look under 10% to me.