CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #21
Doug Lantz

Profile:
Re: How thorough is the crossfit games drug testing? Surely some athletes are doping

Surely no CrossFitter would even consider cheating !

Watch "Every Second Counts" Dave Castro uses the C word describing the actions of one competitor in particular (who hasn't competed since)
It only took until the second year of Games before someone tried it.

We also have to consider that as the sport continues to grow it will attract athletes who see it as just a professional opportunity no love for CF or other competitors.

I recall a thread from 2009 asking this same question, one poster pointed out "even if you win it's only $5000, who would do that ? !"

Another poster said he competed in amateur bodybuilding and powerlifting and he knew of guys using.
Win one of those contests and all you get is a plastic trophy or something.

All the people who have flunked tests so far seem to have done so innocently, just didn't realize that whatever they took wasn't allowed.

I believe Ben Bergeron was the first name to be made public.
I recall reading that a competitor tested positive at the 2009 Games but got eliminated after the first cut anyway, never was named

Bergeron flunked because he drank Jacked3D correct ?

He apologized profusely, all the comments were along the lines of "no need to apologize Ben, we all believe you weren't trying to cheat"

I sure hope Sean is right, that the out of competition testing continues to increase to a world class level.
Maybe they could use the biological passport ?

I think it's necessary to ensure the sport continues to grow and gets taken seriously by the mainstream.

Last edited by Doug Lantz : 08-14-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Spacing
Old 08-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #22
Paul Coomans

Profile:
Re: How thorough is the crossfit games drug testing? Surely some athletes are doping

As long as the games remain an open competition, one anybody can participate in, there is simply no possible way to test everyone on a regular basis.

I very much like the idea of an open competition though. I'm just not that naive to think that everyone is doing it clean when the opportunity to cheat is so great.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #23
Doug Lantz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Coomans View Post
As long as the games remain an open competition, one anybody can participate in, there is simply no possible way to test everyone on a regular basis.

I very much like the idea of an open competition though. I'm just not that naive to think that everyone is doing it clean when the opportunity to cheat is so great.
Greg Glassman said on a video when they introduced the Open concept that if someone cheats to make it into Regionals their incompetence will be quickly exposed.

He was talking about affiliates submitting invalid scores by counting questionable or flat out bogus reps but the concept is the same.

His notion was that if you're 39th or whatever in your Open region you're highly unlikely to advance past Regionals anyway due to the much smaller doorway.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #24
Paul Coomans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lantz View Post
Greg Glassman said on a video when they introduced the Open concept that if someone cheats to make it into Regionals their incompetence will be quickly exposed.

He was talking about affiliates submitting invalid scores by counting questionable or flat out bogus reps but the concept is the same.

His notion was that if you're 39th or whatever in your Open region you're highly unlikely to advance past Regionals anyway due to the much smaller doorway.
The concept is not the same. You can train for an extended period with the performance benifits that something like a suped up testosterone level provides. Enhanced recovery is a biggie. Come off a few months before games season and enter the competition. In the season you're back to natural levels but that suped up training period has certainly benefitted you.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #25
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Coomans View Post
The concept is not the same. You can train for an extended period with the performance benifits that something like a suped up testosterone level provides. Enhanced recovery is a biggie. Come off a few months before games season and enter the competition. In the season you're back to natural levels but that suped up training period has certainly benefitted you.
A "few months before the games season" is the Regionals season; and a few months before Regionals is the Open.

If we get to the point that an "out of nowhere" person crushes an Open workout, then eyebrows will be raised. Money is on the line for the winner of Open events. I don't think it will be long before those persons are tested.

Once you've identified yourself as a "contender" then you are potentially going to be tested.

I can very easily see the requirement of Open athletes being tested. It wouldn't be difficult. If the WOD happens at an affiliate then the doping control officer would/could/should be the affiliate owner and that person would be on the line for collection and chain of custody purposes. If the risk of losing elibigilty to participate in games season - or losing affiliation - were on the line, the seriousness of the situation would be evident. If the person did a video submission (non affiliate WOD), then I'd say make collection of the prize money and validity of the score be contingent upon that person reporting to the nearest affiliate or certified lab for testing.

That doesn't solve out of comp testing, but it does get closer to year round.

Once athletes are known to be top-level they could be in the pool of those subject to random testing. Once their "number" is pulled, they need to report to testing (as above) within 48 hours, or some other reasonable time frame, but not too long time frame, to get tested.

I am confident we will see this in the evolution of our sport.

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 08-15-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #26
Paul Coomans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
A "few months before the games season" is the Regionals season; and a few months before Regionals is the Open.
With games "season" I include the regionals. The regionals are start in may, the games end in july. That gives you roughly 8 months to do whatever you want.

Quote:
I am confident we will see this in the evolution of our sport.
I think so too.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #27
John Drohan

Profile:

I think it's sad that the denials by the likes of Dan and Rich are going to be met with skepticism mainly due to athletes in other sports.

Look at cycling, baseball, track and field, etc. For every person found to have used PED's, there is a denial on record somewhere. I don't think I've ever seen anybody accused of using immediately come forward and admit to it. It's always deny first, apologize later (if necessary).

So really, any denial nowadays gets taken with a grain of salt. Dan and Rich could legitimately be clean as a whistle, yet we'd be lying if we said some doubt didn't remain.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #28
Andrew Joseph

Profile:

Sadly, there is a somewhat logical set of reasoning that leads to the conclusion that an athlete is likely to be using PEDs. And it's tough for me not to take it into consideration, even though there is always a plausible chance that someone will not fit the model. The way I look at it is:
1) Would anabolic steroids (increased strength), EPO (increased endurance), etc. signficantly influence someone's performance in the sport? In a completely clean field, could you give the #8 guy PEDs for a year and turn him into #1?
2) Is there any significant number of participants who could reasonably be expected to be using to take advantage of these benefits without getting caught?

If #1 and #2 are both true, then you can conclude that anyone who matches or surpasses the athletes who are taking PEDs either has a huge difference in natural ability or training (very difficult at the top level of most sports) or they are similarly supplementing.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #29
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i say CF should just let everyone use whatever they want. problem solved.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #30
Greg Wilson

Profile:

For what it's worth; just adding to the discussion.

Last year, three teams were disqualified after regionals.

http://games.crossfit.com/article/in...s-disqualified WFS

Quote:
Each Regional weekend, Drug Free Sport tested the athletes who qualified for the Games, runners-up (in case a disqualification created an opening) and some randomly selected competitors. This year, CrossFit also added unannounced drug testing during the Open stage of competition, and will test Games athletes again in Carson, Calif.
This year, two teams were disqualified.

http://games.crossfit.com/article/tw...ied-2013-games WFS

One team was disqualified for failing drug testing, the other team had some sort of ineligibility issue.